JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went by the lanes today, all full and a queue of cars at about 845am. No barrier to go further and found a suitable place down the road without new signage. (new signage appreciated btw, those spots weren't good)

Went by the lanes today, all full and a queue of cars at about 845am. No barrier to go further and found a suitable place down the road without new signage. (new signage appreciated btw, those spots weren't good)
I'm not surprised, I'd figured the lanes were going to be crowded today since all of us who have been itching to shoot are like sailors on leave and the lanes are the closest bars to port. :D:D:D

Went up Sunday evening around 5:00pm. After the weekend traffic, the area right past the gate is completely rutted up. I wouldn't recommend going up with a sedan.

It was actually just like that on Saturday morning, I think a previous post had figured it was some intentional driving that caused it.

I've never seen it so bad in the 5 years I've been going out that way. Bringing our shovels next trip (weekend after this upcoming) and if it's still there we'll level 'er out.

It was actually just like that on Saturday morning, I think a previous post had figured it was some intentional driving that caused it.

I've never seen it so bad in the 5 years I've been going out that way. Bringing our shovels next trip (weekend after this upcoming) and if it's still there we'll level 'er out.
Indeed, whatever it will take we need to get it done before the first freeze, if not it will be very hard to level out with shovels and we'll be seeing cars being bounced around and possible going over that ledge.

I'm headed up in the morning and will assess what I can get done with my shovel on the way out, some of those big holes first. From what I saw last week it's going to take a crew for sure.

Last Edited:
I'm headed up in the morning and will assess what I can get done with my shovel on the way out, some of those big holes first. From what I saw last week it's going to take a crew for sure.
I'm planning on getting up there tomorrow morning as well, I'm hoping for either lane 3 or 4, but look for my forest green Subaru Outback, I always have my shovel with me, maybe we can find even more help, who knows :)

Met @Cosimel up there this morning for a little shooting and had a blast as usual. On the way out we stopped to see what dent we could make in the pot holes, but it needs way more work than two old guys with shovels could muster. Lighting was crap but here's a couple of pictures.

First off:
Road 2.jpg

Then after a few (ok way more than that) shovels of gravel:

road 1.jpg

Look forward to seeing you again up there Steve.;)

Met @Cosimel up there this morning for a little shooting and had a blast as usual. On the way out we stopped to see what dent we could make in the pot holes, but it needs way more work than two old guys with shovels could muster. Lighting was crap but here's a couple of pictures.

First off:
View attachment 756048

Then after a few (ok way more than that) shovels of gravel:

View attachment 756049

Look forward to seeing you again up there Steve.;)

It was great sharing a lane with you again Steve, next time try not to show off so much :D

I have to agree with Steve's assessment of the entry to the lanes, it's not just pot holes, earth has been moved into mounds that are now hardened mud. It will need a back hoe to level the ground again, then re-gravel. I keep trying to imagine how that happened if only to figure out how to prevent it from happening again. The lanes looked pretty good, mostly plywood debris on lane 4, I did cover up some graffiti on the backside of one of the jersey barriers, but didn't require a lot of paint. The other lanes looked ok.

That kind of movement normally happens with vehicles splashing through puddles in the surface.

The holes get deeper and the lumps get greater, it's just a process of time and water with wheels travelling through them, usually a faster speed than they perhaps should be.

That kind of movement normally happens with vehicles splashing through puddles in the surface.

The holes get deeper and the lumps get greater, it's just a process of time and water with wheels travelling through them, usually a faster speed than they perhaps should be.

It had been awhile since I was up there BEFORE the road regarding, but it was never as bad as it's being described now? So, either the folks that fixed it didn't know what they were doing? Or a buncha morons have been burning up that hill In their big trucks like they were doing a hll climb?

Ha, wouldn't put it past people blasting up there in the wet with trucks.

Honestly though, i've experienced this on a private road i used to live on (5 houses) only takes regular daily traffic with loose fill (it was tarmac with some light gravel in shallow holes) and with the water and tyres travelling through, it only took a few weeks before the holes are emptied of fill and they got progressively deeper and wider, with their fill creating high spots.

It had been awhile since I was up there BEFORE the road regarding, but it was never as bad as it's being described now? So, either the folks that fixed it didn't know what they were doing? Or a buncha morons have been burning up that hill In their big trucks like they were doing a hll climb?

I would agree, I'd been driving up on that road several years before it was redone and it has never been that bad. @arrowshooter and I had a chance to get up close and personal with that first 50 feet and I would agree with @Mikej assessment of the cause, the mounds are too high and the spacing in between each is remarkably uniform as is the fact that there are parallel mounds with deep pot holes in front that are exactly the width of the back wheels of a pick-up truck and size of mud tires. If it were the result of wear from traffic I'd expect it to be not only random spacing but to take a lot longer to produce, I first noticed the current road condition the late July, before that it wasn't really that bad. At least that's how I recall it, but it's not getting any better despite our efforts today.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews