JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It looks like they updated the Tillamook State Forest Blog on the 21st indicated the Lanes as OPEN !!!!!!!! I'm planing on heading up for a look this Tuesday or Wednesday. I've got a itchy trigger finger :D

Nice morning up there today. Not too trashy and some random graffiti. There was someone up on 4, and we drove up to look when we left and found there was a homeless couple that appeared to have set up shop there. There was also a tower of sorts made with two pallets stacked end to end and braced up to stay. The man of the couple was doing something behind it, but don't know exactly what that was.

If the person shooting on 2 at about 9:30 is a member here, the light primer strikes you are getting on the M855 you were shooting is more than likely from light springs in your fire control group. ;)

Edit: That little up hill at the gate to the lanes will be a challenge for the small car folks. It's "all" pot holed up, and I do mean all.

Last Edited:
Hi All,

New gun owner here. I've yet to shoot my rifle and I'm looking for a nice family friendly place to shoot out doors.

My first day out would consist of just shooting the rifle but also hopefully zeroing my red dot sight.

1. Is this place family friendly? Is it safe?
2. Should I bring my own targets and what kind are recommended?
3. What lane is ideal for zeroing a rifle at 50 yards?
4. What day of the week is least busy?
5. Anything else a newbie should know in general and/or anything specific to this outdoor shooting area?

Nooblar

Edit: That little up hill at the gate to the lanes will be a challenge for the small car folks. It's "all" pot holed up, and I do mean all.

I will second that. I was up there last night in the rain to Test fire a new AR build and got a little hung up in my VW Rabbit. Second attempt was good just had to pick the right line. I'll bring a rake and shovel next time.

Hi All,

New gun owner here. I've yet to shoot my rifle and I'm looking for a nice family friendly place to shoot out doors.

My first day out would consist of just shooting the rifle but also hopefully zeroing my red dot sight.

1. Is this place family friendly? Is it safe?
2. Should I bring my own targets and what kind are recommended?
3. What lane is ideal for zeroing a rifle at 50 yards?
4. What day of the week is least busy?
5. Anything else a newbie should know in general and/or anything specific to this outdoor shooting area?

Nooblar

Wow, a lot to unpack here:

1. Generally speaking yes, I've been going up to the lanes regularly for over three years and have yet to encounter anything I'd call either unsafe or non-family friendly. With that said, it's like a public park, beech, or camp grounds, anything's possible so just remain situation aware.
2. While there are established firing lines in the form of jersey barriers which can double as bench rests, you'll need to bring something to shoot at. It will need to be an approved target (see attached photo for target regulations) and anything you bring in you must take with you when finished. If you are planning on sighting in an optic, I'd suggest you bring a folding chair or the like so you can sit at the jersey barrier.
3. Lanes 3 or 4 will allow you to set up at 50 yards;
4. The weekends are very popular and probably not the best time to go to the lanes for the first time unless your going with a regular visitor. Weekdays will be a better first time visit and if you want to be sure to get on lane 3 or 4 without having to wait up to an hour or more, then you need to be there at, or better, before sunrise.
5. While the lanes are a nice alternative to just heading into the woods looking for a good spot, and they do offer some shooter support such as the jersey barriers, there are no amenities like running water, electricity, and most importantly, no restrooms, plan accordingly. They also are not a 'range', there are no range officers or 'employees', you are solely responsible for being responsible.

But I'd like to restate that in the years I've been going to the lanes I've seen signs of unsavory behavior, I've just not seen any of it in person. Go early, get out early and you'll be fine.

ODF_TargetShootingRegulations_v2016.jpg

Last Edited:
Is it worse than normal I almost ripped a muffler off my Malibu the first time I went up!
I would say yes. I've been up 3 times in the last 2 months and this most recent was by far the worst. First 2 times I hardly slowed down, Thursday I crawled, got hung up, backed to the bottom planned a line and made it up in first gear with a couple scrapes. It's only the initial turn up the hill and the 15-20 yards past the gate, after that no problems.

Hey guys, drove there today.
Yes the gate is open.
Yes the entry gravel road is in bad shape. A lot of pot holes. Looks like some truck spun with 2 wheel drive and dug holes when the wheels hop.
I drove 4 miles past the range, on the N ford wolf creek rd. Now there is a sign "target shooting prohibited due to fire and safety hazard" on those shooting spots along the road. WTF?

Last Edited:
Hey guys, drove there today.
Yes the gate is open.
Yes the entry gravel road is in bad shape. A lot of pot holes. Looks like some truck spun with 2 wheel drive and dug holes when the wheels hop.
I drove 4 miles past the range, on the N ford wolf creek rd. Now there is a sign "target shooting prohibited due to fire and safety hazard" on those shooting spots along the road. WTF?

I know that ODF and @Cogs where up on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd in the Spring putting up signs saying those exact words at location just off the road that are in fact unsafe places to shoot. I don't think any additional signs went up specific to the recent fire hazards and while it's possible somebody's moved the signs ODF put up, I suspect that the are still at prohibited locations that had been popular for target shooting.

Those spots have mountains behind them.
No danger for ricochet what so ever.
Fire danger. Well it is true for a week ago.

I know that ODF and @Cogs where up on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd in the Spring putting up signs saying those exact words at location just off the road that are in fact unsafe places to shoot. I don't think any additional signs went up specific to the recent fire hazards and while it's possible somebody's moved the signs ODF put up, I suspect that the are still at prohibited locations that had been popular for target shooting.

Those spots have mountains behind them.
No danger for ricochet what so ever.
Fire danger. Well it is true for a week ago.

Since I wasn't there I don't know the actual spots you are referring to, many locations are fire hazards simply because they are not clear of tree trunks and other wood debris that was left behind from clear cutting; those locations are always a fire hazard as all the wood is dead and thus always a heightened potential as a source of fuel. But I do know the ODF requirements for target shooting are quite clear, " A solid backstop such as an earth embankment is required ", a mountain in the background does not count.

Last Edited:
What @Cosimel said. (Thanks for responding, Cos!).

You'll need to go back a few pages to see when and why we helped ODF post those signs.

As responsible gun owners and target shooters, we have a moral obligation to help protect the shooting sports on public lands. That means we get involved with forest management agencies and help them with public safety issues. The 5 or 6 spots were we posted signs are both public and fire safety issues. If you need more info on fire safety in target shooting, see the Trash No Land web page; Start No Fires.

Thanks for questioning that, @remingtontactical . I hope it helps give you a better understanding.

Bill

Any recommendations for a good affordable target stand + targets for sighting in a rifle?

Also does anyone know the exact /close to exact lengths of the lanes in order to eyeball 50 yards for sighting in purposes?

Any recommendations for a good affordable target stand + targets for sighting in a rifle?

Also does anyone know the exact /close to exact lengths of the lanes in order to eyeball 50 yards for sighting in purposes?
The upper 2 lanes are long enough for what you are doing the lenghts are clearly posted on the signs at each lane.

Off the top of my head I seem to recall the official distances are 78 yards on lane 3 and 84 yards on lane 4. As for a target stand for use with paper targets (such as for zeroing in a firearm) I've had excellent luck with the Thor Targets 'Paper Puncher' stand. They are $35 list price, breaks down into two flat metal sections, way easy to assemble and doesn't take up much space. They are made in Oregon and are available from many local stores (Oregon Rifleworks, Curt's Discount, J&B Firearms Sales, just to name a fiew).

target-9 (1).png

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top