JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, everyone we talked to we asked and/or told about the Northwest Firearms forum. Several were fellow members and we may even see some new members pop up! Win Win for all of us!
B, Enjoyed the first interaction with you at the booth. As well when you checked in on the range. Everybody worked well with safety and cleanup in mind. That I saw today. Just really got to wonder why someone would want the top wood support? Hope to see you there again in the near future.
D.

Must have just missed you guys. Went out and got lane 2 around 5pm.

Question for the group, someone nearby (maybe lane 3/4) was shooting steel... If I'm hearing a ricochet consistently, every few shots, does that mean they haven't properly angled their targets? My steel get's mounted so that it hangs with the top closer to me and the bottom angled away. That way the lead goes into the ground.

Maybe they were shooting it while it was swinging and catching it on the return path? Either way, made me a bit nervous to keep hearing those little lead bees buzzing around.

Well wouldn't you know it... WA Dept of Natural Resources called me and asked NOT to do the Info Center booth this weekend in the Yacolt Burn State Forest. They said they are not allowing any volunteer programs until they reach phase III. I tried to argue that this isn't a volunteer group, but rather just a couple guys doing a different kind of recreational activity... helping others to be responsible. Still, the answer was no, not now. I was nice and pleasant and said okay and shifted my attention to Tillamook SF.

So, I'm open for this weekend at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes! So far, ODF has not said no, (however I haven't talked to them yet). I have a call in but haven't gotten a return call yet, so, I'm thinking just do it and apologize later if it's not okay.

As of now, Friday evening, I'm planning on setting up the info center booth at 8 am on Sunday, May 31st, on North Fork Wolf Creek Road, just before the turn off to the lanes. I need at least one other volunteer to join me... 2 others would be best.

I would rather set up the booth at the Wye where it splits to the lanes because we would have more people stop. If we locate the booth before the split we may miss a few folks because they are in a hurry to get there and claim a lane and will not want to pull off the road and watch someone else go by to take a possible open lane. So if we can, put the booth at the Wye and do a 'Drive through booth. They can stay in their car while we give them info and say an encouraging word or two. No one can get past them because they will be blocking the road. We will also be able to get info into the hands of others who go further up Wolf Creek Rd. Like a left and right drive thru kiosk.

Open carry preferred at this one! Post up to let me know who can do it this Sunday. I really don't like being the only one there! (Well, Walther is comforting to have with me but he doesn't talk often! He only speaks, loudly, in a threatening emergency situation!)

Thanks,

Bill

Damn, I pulled some strings and was able to move up my trip to this past weekend so I'd be available this coming weekend. That worked out well :):):)

Wonderful day out today and not many people buzzing around up there. Did a little housekeeping on Lane 2 when I was done shooting, and it looks a lot better than when I got there. Unfortunately I am limited to the one bag, and I didn't have a hazmat suit to pickup around the barricade (too much poo and p).

IMG_20200605_083432781_HDR.jpg

Wonderful day out today and not many people buzzing around up there. Did a little housekeeping on Lane 2 when I was done shooting, and it looks a lot better than when I got there. Unfortunately I am limited to the one bag, and I didn't have a hazmat suit to pickup around the barricade (too much poo and p).

View attachment 706429

Hey! I think i saw you cleaning up as I was making my way up to Lane#3 today. Thanks for cleaning up! I was taking a friend and showing him the place. And keeping the place clean was definition one of the first thing we talked about.

a lot of shot up wood and targets up in lane#3 today. I see couple of recent 'fire pit' as well. A LOT of shotgun and 22 casing. Picked up what I could with the 22 and ALL the steel casing and shotgun shells between the barrier and road this morning. Still a lot it behind the barriers. But man, it's ridiculous... Especially steel... $12 magnetic pickup stick from HF can do it in minutes... Until next time...

There's so much loose wood, at least there was last weekend at lane 2.

Would it be a no-no to have a little controlled fire going to clear some of the untreated wood?
According to ODF rules, dispersed fires are a no-no. If you have, or someone else has, a fire pit at home, that would be the best plan (if you have a way to transport it).

I don't see why not, as long as it's done properly and extinguished properly. However, I don't have any authority to give an okay.

There's so much loose wood, at least there was last weekend at lane 2.

Would it be a no-no to have a little controlled fire going to clear some of the untreated wood?
A couple years ago, a few of us camped overnight at the corner of Lane 3 and did a camp fire. We fired it up in the morning and was still going by the time the cleanup event started. ODF officials were there and didn't say a thing about our fire. I didn't think about it at that time but have since heard the rules about no dispersed camp fires.

Now, I take a portable propane fire pit. Would rather do a wood burning camp fire.

I didn't think about it at that time but have since heard the rules about no dispersed camp fires.
AFAIK the rules about campfires are temporary in regards to the camping closure related to illegal dumping and littering.

But its always best to check the source at the Oregon Dept. of Forestry....
dispersed camping is now open and legal. How this applies to campfires is up to the individual to interpret.
I know I would.... ;)

AFAIK the rules about campfires are temporary in regards to the camping closure related to illegal dumping and littering.

But its always best to check the source at the Oregon Dept. of Forestry....
dispersed camping is now open and legal. How this applies to campfires is up to the individual to interpret.
I know I would.... ;)

I think you're right. I can only find restrictions on campfires during the fire season. So I would interpret that to be okay as long as it isn't a bonfire. (Of course, I have been known to be wrong!)

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top