JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just want to get some feedback from the collective experience of this group. Are there polite reasons or white lies to say nicely to reject another person/group asking to share a shooting lane? How do you say "no" politely?
Well u could say, "I don't know if you know what u are doing, and I don't want to get shot!" (j/k)

I just want to get some feedback from the collective experience of this group. Are there polite reasons or white lies to say nicely to reject another person/group asking to share a shooting lane? How do you say "no" politely?

Maybe just something along the line "give us another hour, we'll be done soon". I've seen people do that and both parties were fine with it. Last time I was there, another gentlemen was waiting for our lane (#4). He was setting up his target stands by his car while waited. And we had two separate groups there already. I would have stayed longer if no one was waiting, but I got my rounds in anyway, so we wrapped up a bit early.

I think courtesy goes both way, so pass it on!

Last Edited:
I think it's time to form a local chapter of Trash No Land. A group who would monitor the McGregor Basin area, schedule cleanups, communicate with shooters in the field, repost signage and work with ODF Forest Grove office.

I think groups like this, focused on specific areas, would have a greater impact for the good of recreational shooting.

Really, we should have chapters throughout Oregon and Washington.

well, to some, a stand is not trash yet if it can still hold a target, so some folks are generous and thoughtful enough to leave them behind for others to use.... and then dispose of.
Perhaps if they left an actual usable IDPA or steel gong target stand.... ?

The problem with improvised stands is they are not designed to be reusable and become hazardous shot up into sharp splintered wood and filled with sharp bullet fragments. Nobodys being generous, they simply were not prepared to haul out the shot up stand so they left it for someone else to deal with.
Also most all of them do not provide an efficient way to hold paper targets, Ive yet to find one that even remotely tempted me to use it anyways.

The one I pictured in lane 3 was shot up so bad it fell over in two parts when I went to move it out of the way to prevent ricocheting off it.

I guess my sarcasm was a little subtle. Yea, I know its trash by the time it gets left behind, I just assume the folks who leave it there tell themselves they're doing the next guy a favor. :rolleyes:

If only...

PACK IN ——— PACK OUT.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Our little recreational areas aren't the only ones. I heard browns camp ohv areas were seriously on edge of being closed due to a massive influx of riders during the last 2-3 months. Lots of garbage everywhere. I can only imagine what the pit looks like.

If only...

PACK IN ——— PACK OUT.

Our little recreational areas aren't the only ones. I heard browns camp ohv areas were seriously on edge of being closed due to a massive influx of riders during the last 2-3 months. Lots of garbage everywhere. I can only imagine what the pit looks like.
Makes me think of one place I went shooting recently there was a truck parked about 40 yards from a shooting pit (not in pit). I set up and was shooting there for a while then a whole pack of motorcycle/atv riders comes swarming to the truck. Guess they thought someone was shooting at their truck. No conflicts at all or anything I just thought it was kinda funny. This was at a totally managed (ie made with bulldozers, signs etc) designated shooting pit on public land.

If only...

PACK IN ——— PACK OUT.

I was just there yesterday with the family. I wanted to fill up my 2 five gallon buckets with the endless shells left over but to many people where shooting

In 2015 & 16 we put on a monthly and bi-monthly information booth in Mt Hood National Forest along the road to popular shooting sites. We set up a dining canopy and stocked it with examples of legal targets, stands and printed information about target shooting.

We put a sandwich sign up the road that said Target Shooting Information Ahead. Lots of shooters stopped and asked lots of questions.

We would hand out agency rules, info fliers, ear plugs, free trash bags and free printed targets (home printed).

That program was developed by the NorthwestFirearms owner and several of us members. When I started Trash No Land (beginning of 2017), I decided I wouldn't do the Information Booth out of respect to NWFA and I didn't want to make it look like a Trash No Land idea/program, even though I played a large part of developing it). I had hopes of someone from NWFA picking up the program and continuing it on.

Since nothing has been done with that program since 2016, I am now thinking of starting it up again. After all, it is a simple idea that anyone can come up with and do. It is obvious that more needs to be done to promote responsible shooting and this is an excellent way to communicate one-on-one with shooters in the field.

I think a booth at or near Brown's Camp, one on Salmonberry Rd and one at Wolf Creek lanes would be perfect places to alternate the booth.

The biggest problem we had was the lack of volunteers to man the booth. It was always just 3 of us who ran the booth every time. That would need to change or we wouldn't be able to do it often (therefore it wouldn't have the impact it could).

I'm currently planning to do this in my forest behind my house. Once in a while I'll give a shout out for someone to join me. I can't keep it up on a regular basis and can't do it in all the forests either. Plus, there should always be at least 2 people in the booth at all times.

Any thoughts on this? Should we start it up again?

Problem with that is the next and last one to use it doesn't remove it because it's not theirs and they didn't bring it. They feel no ownership or responsibility to have to remove it.

No, if you brought it, you remove it. No one is supposed to know you were there.
See, that's why I went to steel... No way I'd want to leave those behind. Zero impact on the shooting area, except for the lead, copper and occasional errant brass casing :D

I think it's time to form a local chapter of Trash No Land. A group who would monitor the McGregor Basin area, schedule cleanups, communicate with shooters in the field, repost signage and work with ODF Forest Grove office.

I think groups like this, focused on specific areas, would have a greater impact for the good of recreational shooting.

Really, we should have chapters throughout Oregon and Washington.

Ok, as long as I don't have to start calling you "The Godfather" :)

If only...

PACK IN ——— PACK OUT.

I was up on lane 4 at sunrise today and had a chance to get a good look at each lane along the way. Typical carnage from a nice weather national holiday. Definitely need to organize a clean up here soon, but I didn't see any signs of tannerite, food bank fails, or sins of the church of appliantology, might have been a fully loaded diaper out there, but nothing weird, just massive usage.

In 2015 & 16 we put on a monthly and bi-monthly information booth in Mt Hood National Forest along the road to popular shooting sites. We set up a dining canopy and stocked it with examples of legal targets, stands and printed information about target shooting.

We put a sandwich sign up the road that said Target Shooting Information Ahead. Lots of shooters stopped and asked lots of questions.

We would hand out agency rules, info fliers, ear plugs, free trash bags and free printed targets (home printed).

That program was developed by the NorthwestFirearms owner and several of us members. When I started Trash No Land (beginning of 2017), I decided I wouldn't do the Information Booth out of respect to NWFA and I didn't want to make it look like a Trash No Land idea/program, even though I played a large part of developing it). I had hopes of someone from NWFA picking up the program and continuing it on.

Since nothing has been done with that program since 2016, I am now thinking of starting it up again. After all, it is a simple idea that anyone can come up with and do. It is obvious that more needs to be done to promote responsible shooting and this is an excellent way to communicate one-on-one with shooters in the field.

I think a booth at or near Brown's Camp, one on Salmonberry Rd and one at Wolf Creek lanes would be perfect places to alternate the booth.

The biggest problem we had was the lack of volunteers to man the booth. It was always just 3 of us who ran the booth every time. That would need to change or we wouldn't be able to do it often (therefore it wouldn't have the impact it could).

I'm currently planning to do this in my forest behind my house. Once in a while I'll give a shout out for someone to join me. I can't keep it up on a regular basis and can't do it in all the forests either. Plus, there should always be at least 2 people in the booth at all times.

Like always, I'm willing and able to volunteer.

I was there yesterday from about 9:30am to 11:00am and Lane 2 was covered with 22 brass and even some live 22 rounds. There were also about 20 shotgun cases. I would have loved to pick everything up but I forgot my "grabber" and I can't risk bending over without something to hold onto due to my back. I use brass catchers with my semi-autos so I don't leave anything behind. No problem catching the brass from my revolver.;)

How to social distance on-line...

Post a request for volunteers on social media,

and watch the distancing happen!
Gee, it's just one Saturday or Sunday once in a while!

(Thanks @Cosimel !)

I was there yesterday from about 9:30am to 11:00am and Lane 2 was covered with 22 brass and even some live 22 rounds. There were also about 20 shotgun cases. I would have loved to pick everything up but I forgot my "grabber" and I can't risk bending over without something to hold onto due to my back. I use brass catchers with my semi-autos so I don't leave anything behind. No problem catching the brass from my revolver.;)

I know what you mean, I enjoyed a Wheel Gun Wednesday this morning and really appreciated not having to bend at the tired old knees to pick up my brass :)

Wheel Gun Wednesday.JPG

I'd volunteer for booth duty :cool:

I'd volunteer for booth duty :cool:
Awesome! Can I call you "My Bad"?!!!

First booth may be in a couple weeks. I'm going to try to put one together in the Yacolt Burn for this weekend and then I'll be ready for one in the Tillamook SF. Let's do our first one at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes. Kind of thinking at the bottom of the hill where the road forks off to the lanes. If there's room for a 10x10 canopy, that would be an ideal location because we could cover those going to the lanes and those going further up Wolf Creek Rd.

Would be good to have 3 of us so we can trade off between going shooting and booth duty. Probably set up as early as we can on a Sat or Sun and work it till around 12 or 1 pm.

I'll post when. Thanks again My Bad!,

Bill

Awesome! Can I call you "My Bad"?!!!

First booth may be in a couple weeks. I'm going to try to put one together in the Yacolt Burn for this weekend and then I'll be ready for one in the Tillamook SF. Let's do our first one at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes. Kind of thinking at the bottom of the hill where the road forks off to the lanes. If there's room for a 10x10 canopy, that would be an ideal location because we could cover those going to the lanes and those going further up Wolf Creek Rd.

Would be good to have 3 of us so we can trade off between going shooting and booth duty. Probably set up as early as we can on a Sat or Sun and work it till around 12 or 1 pm.

I'll post when. Thanks again My Bad!,

Bill

Sounds good to me! I have an excessive amount of time off since I'm furloughed. Only time I'm leaving the state is the 20/21 for my son's birthday :cool:

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top