JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are not any target stands there--you should plan to take your own. Sometimes people leave stuff which could be used for a stand, but that is usually junk. Fortunately many of the good citizens on this forum help keep the lanes clean by taking home more than they bring.

Roger that! I figured that's what the situation was. Just trying to plan ahead. Pack in and pack out deal, while policing your mess.

I usually goto my " spot" on the gorge by Hood river, but Hood River Parks closed all the trails, staging areas. Possibly gate access.

Thanks. Great video and music!love the Metal Gear Solid alert sound at the end lol. Really helps visualize it. Are their any target boxes/stands that you can staple a target to?

Unfortunately there are no targets or target stands provided. Most are in agreement that anything like that wouldn't last long. This is probably the main source of trash left on the lanes, people haul it up, but don't take it with them when they've finished. Google DIY Target Stand and you'll find many good videos on how to make something on the cheap.

Got up there nice and early (7:30). Second one there, couple people tricked in after about 45 minutes or so. Put 600 rounds downrange while sharing pit 3 with some other safety conscious fellas. When is the next cleanup? Would like to participate. Tons of trash.

Got up there nice and early (7:30). Second one there, couple people tricked in after about 45 minutes or so. Put 600 rounds downrange while sharing pit 3 with some other safety conscious fellas. When is the next cleanup? Would like to participate. Tons of trash.

It's gonna be awhile now with "The Mess" we're in. @Cogs probably had some clean-ups in line but it's certainly changed now.

The lanes are 100% pack in pack out.

If you shoot something there, it becomes your target. Therefore you should be packing it out.

For you guys that love to shoot steel like I do, u can buy fairly inexpensive shepherds hooks for hanging plants and hang AR500 gongs on them so that they swing freely. Last pretty much forever (assuming not shooting high velocity rifle) and very easy to place/remove just push into the ground. No mess and reactive target.
FCE12CBE-A6A0-4A02-9CDA-CB26EDB3A191.jpeg

Last Edited:
Got there around 0930. Waited a hour or so at range 3. Had a blast! Shot 300 rounds between my AR15 and XD9. Cool range. I even picked up my brass just like the military taught me.

I agree, the area is a bit trashed. Still very nice.

Last Edited:
Yeah, grading on the road is good, headed up there this afternoon, lanes were all full so we took a drive round the left fork and snacked in the nice weather.
Went back to the lanes and got a few clips put through the Garand on lane two which wasn't too dirty, but plenty of target trash "neatly" against the berm.
IMG_20200405_165148.jpg

IMG_20200405_165310.jpg

I did not think clearly about today as it wasn't primarily for hitting the lanes, i didn't have anything i could do any trash pickup with, maybe i'll be ready next time :oops:

Also noticed this to the left of lane two, some real geniuses left this for the rest of us to pick up :mad:

IMG_20200405_171423.jpg

Yeah, grading on the road is good, headed up there this afternoon, lanes were all full so we took a drive round the left fork and snacked in the nice weather.
Went back to the lanes and got a few clips put through the Garand on lane two which wasn't too dirty, but plenty of target trash "neatly" against the berm.
View attachment 680245

View attachment 680246

I did not think clearly about today as it wasn't primarily for hitting the lanes, i didn't have anything i could do any trash pickup with, maybe i'll be ready next time :oops:

Also noticed this to the left of lane two, some real geniuses left this for the rest of us to pick up :mad:

View attachment 680247

Dirtbags....:(

So, is that your first shots out of that Garand? :) I've been wanting to get mine out again, with my own loads this time. It was going to be tomorrow but I can't load my own as my large drum for the powder thrower is messed up and I'll need to wait for a new one from RCBS.
Thanks for that video, and including the finally! "CHING!" :s0114:

What ammo are you shooting in it? And does it throw the brass in the same place every time?

Yes, that is the first time i've fired that Garand, @Velzey refinished it (metal work) a few years ago, and embarrassingly, it's taken until now before i got out with it :( :oops:

I used some Federal either 150 or 180, and some HXP 77 stamped stuff. It throws the brass mainly to the 2pm area, i had a few to the 5pm area, of which i managed to deftly strike my Wife with one :D

IMG_20200405_165456.jpg IMG_20200405_165521.jpg

I also use the Garand Gear ported plug, so i don't have to piss around with adjusting it whilst using regular off the shelf ammo. Ported Gas Plug

I tried to go yesterday. Got there at noon and it was completely full. Waited a bit, but all groups looked like they were settling in for the long haul. Went to Salmonberry instead.

Maybe third times a charm. Someday I'll finally get to shoot here!

Yes, that is the first time i've fired that Garand, @Velzey refinished it (metal work) a few years ago, and embarrassingly, it's taken until now before i got out with it :( :oops:

I used some Federal either 150 or 180, and some HXP 77 stamped stuff. It throws the brass mainly to the 2pm area, i had a few to the 5pm area, of which i managed to deftly strike my Wife with one :D

View attachment 680322View attachment 680323

I also use the Garand Gear ported plug, so i don't have to piss around with adjusting it whilst using regular off the shelf ammo. Ported Gas Plug

Ah nice. Asked because, I guess like any gun, where it throws brass tells you about your ammo pressures. As I understand, from board members, a 2:00 position is good for a Garand. Forward, and I had a round or three go straight forward about 6', is showing high(er) pressure. You don't want too high for fear of bending the op rod. Did your brass look abused after firing? Mine was, not to the point of being ruined, but a little surprising, compared to my thinking that an AR15 dents brass.

If your looking for more ammo I stocked up on this... 500 Round Can - 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 grain Prvi Partizan M1 Garand Ammo PP3006GMC | SGAmmo.com But at the time it was a 200 rnd count. I will be loading for this. Looking at your gas plug though, maybe the PPU for Garand wouldn't work in it?

Nah, original, and loaded for, ammo will work fine in it, they have some nice testing graphs and explanations of how the pressure curve works.

You had dented brass? like, on the sides? mine look normal, nothing gouged out or dented from what i see.

You had dented brass? like, on the sides? mine look normal, nothing gouged out or dented from what i see.

Now that I'm checking, the latest brass shot in the gun has no real dents. A couple of case mouth slightly out of round. What it might have been was the first 20 rounds or so. This gun is/was in a break-in process. Yeah. Receiver '43 Winchester, barrel '53 SA, the rest of the parts from Beretta/ BMB marked, and NEW. So I suppose those first rounds took a little beating as the parts broke in. I've already prepped the first 40 rounds shot and any dents came out in sizing.

the rest of the parts from Beretta/ BMB marked, and NEW.

FYI, Berreta/BMB was a producer of Milspec Garand parts during, as I understand, the later years of WWII, through the Korean war. The parts are said to be top quality, if not better than US made in some cases.

Obviously this was break in as well, i've got to pull it down and clean off the parking where needed i think, have to check on that. Some of my cases have a flat on the neck, but i don't know if that's from landing on the ground or what.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top