JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone up for pounding some steel?

(Steel posts, I mean!). I'd be happy to pound some steel targets when we're done!

I have the okay and a request for help, from ODF Stephanie Bealls and Randy Peterson, to install the No Shooting signs at 6 locations. Five will go on the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, just past the turnoff to the lanes, and at least 1 place on Salmonberry Rd.

I need a couple more people to help. I think this sign project should be pretty easy for only 2 people, however, 4 or more would get done sooner, get those places cleaned up and on to shooting!

We meet Steph and Roger at the intersection of Hwy 26 & North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, at 10 AM, on Sat, 10-26-19 .​
They will bring out the posts, hardware, and one of ODF's post pounders for us to use. They will also have a map showing the locations identified so far for the signs. They will bring some extra signs and posts if there are a couple of other locations in the area as well that make sense to sign. Our focus for placement of these signs is at locations that clearly have safety issues at them, meaning there is no backstop and people are shooting in the direction of roads, trails, campsites, homes etc.

Any others care to join us? So far, we have Reno, Flymph and me, with a bad back! Urgent care put me on light duty and going into therapy this week. So, I won't be too much good! I can use a level and a trash picker tho! No restrictions on the trigger finger! :D

No Shooting ODF Signs Final cropped.jpg

These signs are to alert shooters of unsafe and/or fire hazardous conditions at specific spots where we all know are bad places to shoot yet some people still shoot there. These places should be obvious, even to novice shooters, but apparently some people weren't taught what a backstop is or what it's used for!

Closing down the dangerous places is one way we can help improve our image and move a little closer to making shooting in the forest great again!

Any takers?

Anyone up for pounding some steel?

(Steel posts, I mean!). I'd be happy to pound some steel targets when we're done!

I have the okay and a request for help, from ODF Stephanie Bealls and Randy Peterson, to install the No Shooting signs at 6 locations. Five will go on the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, just past the turnoff to the lanes, and at least 1 place on Salmonberry Rd.

I need a couple more people to help. I think this sign project should be pretty easy for only 2 people, however, 4 or more would get done sooner, get those places cleaned up and on to shooting!

We meet Steph and Roger at the intersection of Hwy 26 & North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, at 10 AM, on Sat, 10-26-19 .​
They will bring out the posts, hardware, and one of ODF's post pounders for us to use. They will also have a map showing the locations identified so far for the signs. They will bring some extra signs and posts if there are a couple of other locations in the area as well that make sense to sign. Our focus for placement of these signs is at locations that clearly have safety issues at them, meaning there is no backstop and people are shooting in the direction of roads, trails, campsites, homes etc.

Any others care to join us? So far, we have Reno, Flymph and me, with a bad back! Urgent care put me on light duty and going into therapy this week. So, I won't be too much good! I can use a level and a trash picker tho! No restrictions on the trigger finger! :D

View attachment 627032

These signs are to alert shooters of unsafe and/or fire hazardous conditions at specific spots where we all know are bad places to shoot yet some people still shoot there. These places should be obvious, even to novice shooters, but apparently some people weren't taught what a backstop is or what it's used for!

Closing down the dangerous places is one way we can help improve our image and move a little closer to making shooting in the forest great again!

Any takers?
I'll look for them this Sunday. Many thanks to all for going the extra mile, as always :)

I've always wanted to do this, at places where it's really obvious not to be shooting, but haven't been able to because you need the agency approval. And I certainly don't want to put up a cardboard sign that says "Don't shoot here, bubblegum! It's not safe!" (I don't think that would sit well with shooters and they'll blast away in spite!).

I'm glad the ODF folks are with us on this. I hope it's effective and does what it's intended to do (stop shooting at unsafe places!). Guess we'll see.

I think it will send a better message if we can clean up each spot where we post a sign. The idea is, if there is a sign there, there shouldn't be any evidence of shooting activity. If people see evidence, they may disregard the sign and shoot there anyway. At least we'll be able to measure some sort of results if, later, we see no further signs of shooting.

We can all help by communicating to other shooters about the reasonable effort we are making to save our places to shoot, (by explaining why not to shoot at unsafe places). Shooters connect with each other and understand the reasoning because we share the same values of preserving public land shooting so we may become proficient with our firearms and exercise our Second Amendment rights.

Sign posting is done and report filed! See the report in the thread "Info for shooting on public lands"

A shout out to the great bunch of folks on lane four yesterday. You all demonstrated how a bunch of strangers can come together and through this common shooting sport become friends in a matter of hours. I appreciated the opportunity to share and try new firearms and the decency and courtesy you all showed each other. I may have a few repairs to make to the chains of my steel target, but hey, we were shooting at them! Thanks for a great day.

A shout out to the great bunch of folks on lane four yesterday. You all demonstrated how a bunch of strangers can come together and through this common shooting sport become friends in a matter of hours. I appreciated the opportunity to share and try new firearms and the decency and courtesy you all showed each other. I may have a few repairs to make to the chains of my steel target, but hey, we were shooting at them! Thanks for a great day.
Did you see the targets way up high on the hill at lane 3? Some guys were shooting there when I was there yesterday, after the sign work, so I couldn't climb up to get them down. They had their own targets and weren't the ones who put those up there.

I stopped and talked at each lane and everyone I met were real nice and welcoming. I handed out brochures for responsible shooting and chatted about saving places by showing what responsible shooting looks like. All 4 lanes had legal targets and were doing it right. Nice to see! Still, a bit of trash and evidence of bad shooting practices left behind.

Just leaving Wolf Creek right now. There was a dog running around on the road near labe 3 when we got there around 2:30. No collar, young... Maybe a year old. At least part german shepard. He was pretty skittish and wouldn't come to my girlfriend nor I. Saw him again as we were leaving, still wouldn't come to us. He was walking/running up and down the road. Definitely not a stray. If someone's out there looking for him, hopefully this helps.

Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes Closed for 1/2 Day!
Monday, Nov 25th, 6 AM to 12 Noon.

A private company will be doing a SOLVE sponsored clean-up at the North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes. This will be a company only cleanup.

Closed 11-25-19.jpg

To facilitate the volunteer clean-up effort, ODF will close the shooting lanes at Wolf Creek Road. If they get it cleaned up sooner they will pull the closure signs. They also plan to clean-up other sites in the area if time allows. They are planning to work for a full 8 hours, which will include some disposal time as they will likely be dumping the trash at the Forest Grove Transfer station.

Thank you to the company and SOLVE! Great to have you there! Everyone appreciates your efforts!

Last Edited:
We got a heck of a shooting spot here. Too bad a bunch of drunk fudds felt the need to shoot down the announcement board and melt some TVs on lane 4. This is why we can't have nice things. :mad:

I know none of us would have done this. Almost makes you wish you had to be a member to shoot here.

20191121_150601.jpg 20191121_150612.jpg

Honestly that is just extremely disappointing. Every step forward is literally kicked ten feet back because those gun owners that simply don't care.

With this type of behavior, it's only a matter of time before we lose more freedoms on state forest lands.

@Cogs can you reach out to those at ODF by chance and see if those working this upcoming Monday can replace or repair?

Honestly that is just extremely disappointing. Every step forward is literally kicked ten feet back because those gun owners that simply don't care.

With this type of behavior, it's only a matter of time before we lose more freedoms on state forest lands.
My thoughts exactly. The forestry service doesn't HAVE to let us shoot on that land, and honestly, it would probably all be less headache for them if we didn't. That being the case, it's so important that we be good stewards of that land. What I didn't show is the hill next to the sign where someone cleared space to make another shooting lane. The hill next to that sign is now just dirt that someone shot into with shotguns. It's insane.

Can you report the day & time @MaruSan ? It would be good to hear from someone who saw the sign still in tact vs the time you saw it. Perhaps someone noticed a certain vehicle leaving there close to those time.

I know ODF had recently posted the closure notice and I'll find out when they posted it.

I copied your photos and will forward to ODF.

Makes my blood boil! Stuff like this really works against us and makes us all looks like a bunch of good for nothin target shooters. Really too bad because shooters need to come together to help each other look good and restore a good reputation to gun owners. Wish I could slap those jerks all the way down lane 4 and back!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top