JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought this was worth a new thread. Went by this morning to check on the status of the range building work at N Fork Wolf creek road

Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/dir//45.7830648,-123.3650993/@45.7838674,-123.3669341,904m/data=!3m1!1e3)

The first 30 yard range work has not started yet.

the 75 yard range is getting the lane leveled out. There will be a berm for pistol targets on the right.
vZa8bcz.jpg

The 100 yard range is also looking great. The two small white posts are the shooting line
uhNiucn.jpg

The pistol berm will be at the end of this section on the right. it was 50 ft from the shooting line
AO1ufTW.jpg

The impact area.
oAsBABe.jpg

showing the angle. The sides are 5ft high
ljnv4qR.jpg
wOSKRdr.jpg

they are looking for any final input into these before finishing work next week. this is your time to get in a suggestion.

this looks great, nice work.

how will the impact area hold up to the torrential deluge of winter rains? Will there be standing water or does the design include runoff?

as long as its graded even slightly downhill but my two thoughts were the sides and back washing out and standing water. Standing water will discourage cleanup.

I'm not an engineer though, just my amateur thoughts. The work looks nice and will be a nice place to shoot and a major improvement and I'm thankful for those working to make it happen.

as long as its graded even slightly downhill but my two thoughts were the sides and back washing out and standing water. Standing water will discourage cleanup.

I'm not an engineer though, just my amateur thoughts. The work looks nice and will be a nice place to shoot and a major improvement and I'm thankful for those working to make it happen.
good thoughts. I will pass it on to them

Pictures are really not doing the lanes justice. First words out of my mouth when walking up to the bottom lane, or site 3, was "this is awesome". Only having @bolus pictures to go off of before heading out this afternoon, I didn't know what to expect.

Anyways, I spent a few hours discussing the progress with Jason and Randy at DOF.

One major and very good thing has been accomplished, these lanes are very fire safe. This has been the main objective in improving these lanes as well as future lanes. They also are very obvious. When you look at them in person, plus the added rock and jersey barriers that are coming, these locations will be very "user friendly". If your a gun owner and can't figure out how to properly use these lanes and in which direction your supposed to be firing in, you likely can't be helped.

I'm super excited about this progress and direction. This is going to be a great safe place to shoot. I can't wait till this location proves itself and we can continue the momentum to improve more sites.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Pictures are really not doing the lanes justice. First words out of my mouth when walking up to the bottom lane, or site 3, was "this is awesome". Only having @bolus pictures to go off of before heading out this afternoon, I didn't know what to expect.

Anyways, I spent a few hours discussing the progress with Jason and Randy at DOF.

One major and very good thing has been accomplished, these lanes are very fire safe. This has been the main objective in improving these lanes as well as future lanes. They also are very obvious. When you look at them in person, plus the added rock and jersey barriers that are coming, these locations will be very "user friendly". If your a gun owner and can't figure out how to properly use these lanes and in which direction your supposed to be firing in, you likely can't be helped.

I'm super excited about this progress and direction. This is going to be a great safe place to shoot. I can't wait till this location proves itself and we can continue the momentum to improve more sites.

View attachment 299239 View attachment 299240 View attachment 299241 View attachment 299242 View attachment 299243 View attachment 299244

I really didnt want to tell anyone after seeing them today. rather keep them a secret. What do you think about the water drainage question?

They are not 100% finished on the grading. The goal once complete is to have enough to allow for water drainage.

As far as weather degrading the impact zone, only time will tell. It's weather and bullet impacts with time that will show how well this type of impact zone will last. It's primarily clay, so in the summer it can get soft and powder like. Hard to say over time. There is still debate to bring in better material.

It still has the ability to get muddy in the wet season. There is plans to make walking lanes to allow less muckiness in walking to the back impact area. This and time will make it better.

Time is really the only variable we can't predict. However, we are looking to see what becomes of these changes then go from there.

One thing I took from the visit was that these lanes will direct shooting. If 80-90% of all bullets end up in one of the two berms, fire risk and safety of other shooters in or around these areas is non issue.

Reply from Jason at the DOF
"The sites actually have a slight % of taper out of the holes; it should drain out. The other areas like the lanes, have been slightly tapered to one side as well and we are thinking we are going to put some gravel in the other low spots and maybe even put a path of rock all the way down to the end target berm on site 3 (the one with the excavator at the head of it). "

I discussed a re-grand opening once all is said and done. To express appreciation to those at ODF that have pushed this forward and to the community that assisted. I'll update here once I get a better idea if this is something that ODF wants to do.

So some yahoos decided the barricade blocking these sites over the weekend was not a match for their truck. They pulled them away and went ahead and ignored every sign that stated the site is closed for improvements. Then proceeded to shoot and trash the place. DOF was a little PO'd but happy they didn't loose any equipment and or have equipment damage.

As far as the @ss hats that did what they did. Well not much can be said. The site plans worked as they described though. These idiots appeared to shoot in the correct direction and with the lanes being cleared of woody debree they were easy to clean.

I would like to hope that those that did this are not members here. If so, think a little next time you see a sign and a barricade. As well as for the remainder of the community you represent.

This upcoming 4th of July weekend these sites will still be closed. With boulders this time.

Thanks all and sorry for the rant. Just discerning to make this progress to have that 10% of our community destroy it.

terrible news. If some folks cant respect a site closure to construct improvements for the very activity they are out to do, what will they do once construction is finished and the site reopened?

is there any kind of plan to somehow enforce the locations are being used safely and lawfully?

terrible news. If some folks cant respect a site closure to construct improvements for the very activity they are out to do, what will they do once construction is finished and the site reopened?

is there any kind of plan to somehow enforce the locations are being used safely and lawfully?
Not really. Though closed, it doesn't stop anyone from rightfully walking in and shooting when down for improvement. Though common sense would hopefully stop 90% of shooters.

Sadly this shows that we are in desperate need for community outreach and educational programs. This area will be an outstanding host for our Tillamook State Forest Shooting Information Booth program once it is up and running.

We will never be able to fix all of our community or even educate them. In all recreational activities their Is always the 5-10% who truly don't care. Our recreational activity is no different.

The timing is really the biggest issue. We know it will still get trashed, it's just the blatant disregard with these guys/gals that gets under my skin.

I'll try and swing by this holiday weekend. If there are any other volunteers here that would like to check in on the sites this weekend. Speak up here.

Thanks!

Reno911

Not really. Though closed, it doesn't stop anyone from rightfully walking in and shooting when down for improvement.

that interesting, I thought the Forest Dept had the right to temporarily close locations to activities. You mentioned they also moved the barricaids aside so they could drive up I would think ould be illegal.

I was out on Salmonberry yesterday until evening, wish I would have stopped to check on Wolf Creek...

They would be fined for littering. Depending on how they react, it could be pretty severe.

I feel with the heavier barricade in place this weekend and maybe a few volunteers to check things out the next couple of weekends. We should be alright up till the grand reopening.

that interesting, I thought the Forest Dept had the right to temporarily close locations to activities. You mentioned they also moved the barricaids aside so they could drive up I would think ould be illegal.

I was out on Salmonberry yesterday until evening, wish I would have stopped to check on Wolf Creek...

Well, it is also illegal to liter. Not that that is stopping them either.

Just saw this thread, a buddy of mine was up shooting at the wolf creek area on Tuesday and said that someone was shooting where the work was being done. :mad: I wish he would have taken some shots (photographs) of the individual and the vehicle. Hopefully the person didn't trash the site too much, or even better, cleaned up after themselves.

Looking forward to this place re-opening and shooters cleaning up.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top