JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time for somegrey spray paint.

How are the signs on the face of the Jersey Barriers? Curious to hear if they are still in tact or if damaged.

I found the same thing, again, up at a shooting place in the Yacolt Burn State Forest by me. @WrenchNguns and I recently covered all of it but it's back again (yes, Gary, it's Josh again! Poor kid!).

Take 2 tones of grey spray. One tone or the other should be a reasonable rock color match.

Thanks for letting us know.
Plant some native vines or shrubs around rocks? People don't spray paint vines.

Good morning all,

I moved from Virginia about a year ago and have been struggling to find a good place to shoot my rifles at. I stumbled across this site (via Google Maps) and after bouncing around this thread was wondering if this is a viable option for a 6.8 and .223? I'm sorry if this is out of place and please feel free to remove it it violates any forum rules. It seems that you guys are of like mind concerning picking up after yourselves and being responsible. Based on conversation here I'm assuming that paper targets are the best option for a range like this, should it not be a problem to occasionally pop in and perform some range therapy. I just wanted to make sure what is/isn't ok before driving up there one weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Good morning all,

I moved from Virginia about a year ago and have been struggling to find a good place to shoot my rifles at...

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Oregon. I have only been up there once and used a short range. I would say that was around 25 yards. I saw some people with rifles and handguns alike. There are places in the coastal range I've safely set up 600-1,000 yard targets. I'm not one for crowds and like to find some quiet spots to take time and relax.

I dunno what rifles are allowed but I've only been there once on a Monday morning and every lane was full and there were two cars waiting to get a lane. Too bad cuz it was a long drive for nothing (over 2 hours round trip).

Last Edited:
Morning is the best time to find an open lane. Otherwise, ask if you can join them or how long they might be there. Weekdays are better yet.

Rifles are best on lanes 3 & 4. 3 is about 60 yards and 4 is 70+.

No rules or restrictions on caliber size.

Paper, steal, or any target that's made for target shooting is legal stuff.

Removal of targets is mandatory.

They are open to the public, and free of charge, 7 days a week, sun up to sun down.

Welcome to the forum! Have fun out there and post up about how it was!

Bill

Well, CRAP !!! 01-03-20 lane 3 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Range Day iwth Blaise 01-03-20.JPG

View attachment 646950
You can say that again! Dang it!

I gotta say, ODF is not too impressed with the goings on out there lately. They had hopes of shooters taking better care of it.

If we can't stay on top of it and keep it in good shape, they may not continue with plans to add more lanes. In fact, the Forest Grove office was not too thrilled about us doing one in the Santiam SF because of what they are seeing at Wolf Creek. I was able to convince them to move forward with the Santiam project, but they all have some reservations.

We wanted them to do this in all state forests, but, they may be having second thoughts about that.

I'm 'On-Call' this weekend so I can't get out to cover it up (besides, I live a long ways away). Can someone pick up some gray spray paint and go do it? About $5-6 per can and might need 2 cans. Do a flat gray primer and perhaps one should be a darker grade. Try to make it look like natural concrete (not like a splotch of grey paint over graffiti). In other words, feather it in to the Jersey barrier.

Was the sign still on the Jersey Barrier(s)?

Thanks for letting us know, Cosimel!

View attachment 646950
Looking at this I gotta ask why are these idiots allowed to use such a nicely groomed site? This doesn't make sense to me with all the hard work that is put into that place.

It's like u make a small beautiful park that is a joy to see. Then u allow homeless to move in and take over the park and fill it with trash and worse. Or maybe u spent years building a beautiful golf course and then have an open door policy to gophers, ground squirrels, and moles. Does not make sense to me personally.

I think people need to realize there is a class of people that have zero respect and imo access to those people needs to be restricted. Needs access control imo. Locked gate with code unless there is a better idea out there. 2 cents...

I'm not sure when I'll be back up there, the weather for the next week looks foreboding and we'll need a dry surface and relatively low humitity if the paint is going to work. But I'll buy some paint, enough to take care of this and lane 2, and keep an eye out for the next best time to get it done. It will be my pleasure to cover this crap up !!!!

Looking at this I gotta ask why are these idiots allowed to use such a nicely groomed site? This doesn't make sense to me with all the hard work that is put into that place.

It's like u make a small beautiful park that is a joy to see. Then u allow homeless to move in and take over the park and fill it with trash and worse. Or maybe u spent years building a beautiful golf course and then have an open door policy to gophers, ground squirrels, and moles. Does not make sense to me personally.

I think people need to realize there is a class of people that have zero respect and imo access to those people needs to be restricted. Needs access control imo. Locked gate with code unless there is a better idea out there. 2 cents...

Yeah I get it. But how do we sort out the idiots vs responsibles? And then, it becomes a range with fees, safety officiers, liabilities, more rules and .................. Good luck finding volunteers to spend their weekends doing that!

So, do we do nothing and go back to the way it was before improvements? Or maybe don't make the next ones so nice? (Wolf Creek is actually The Cadillac of improved lanes).

We really need more responsible people talking with others when they're out there. I know it happens often, but perhaps we need a more concentrated group effort. I've often thought of sitting down at the wye road, by the gate, and handing out flyers to everyone who goes shooting that day. Give a couple words about respecting what we have and wish them a great time. We'd be showing a better sense of ownership. I can't do that because of where I live in relation to the lanes. So, I do it in my forest. I just drive around with flyers and visit with shooters and gain support for the cause.

Personally I think it's a huge benefit to all shooters the work u are doing and it's critically important. However imo the education part will never reach, nor effect, the worst actors.

For that site I would leave out the rules, safety officers, volunteers beyond what is already there already. I would just add a simple program to restrict access to people that will damage the site.

For example:
1) trash no land/Odfw/forest service or whoever has an education course 2-3 times per year about shooting on public land. Maybe have it more frequently at first when the program is new. At the course people can sign up to use this site for $10 for 2 years and are given an access code.
2) a gate is built with the code lock and signage saying that using the site is a privilege and due to damage in the past u must attend the education course for access (contact instructions are on sign)
3) if and when there is damage (very unlikely except for signage near the gate) u can change the code and update all current people who have signed up, make them aware of the damage and stress not to let anyone else through the gate when they come in or stress lock the gate behind you etc.

Last Edited:
If the ODF think that by no longer supporting or adding new lanes and additional sites is going to solve this kind of activity, they are a bunch of idiots. People are going to do this no matter what and no matter if it's a improved site like NFWC or a gravel pit or just an open spot in the trees or if it has anything to do with shooting at all. This happens to trail heads and inside parks and other public lands as well.

What it sounds like they are not considering is that by the ODF and other public land groups supporting shooters and providing safe places to shoot, that it brings out the people like that are on this site and Trash No Land groups and others that work to keep it clean and safe... even if it has to be done over and over. If those of us that want places like NFWC to be built and maintained and supported by the ODF no longer have these locations, then what is going to be the incentive to go clean up those gravel pits or open spots beside the road? Yes, some will still do it, but not at the same level as people do now at the more established locations. All that will happens is it will get worse and worse until shooting is shut down completely, and that won't stop this kind of activity in the least.

About the only thing about this that surprises me is how people seem to be so shocked that it happens. It shouldn't surprise anyone as there are people that could care less on what they are doing to the land and how it affects those that want to be responsible shooters. It only takes one to ruin it for everyone... unfortunately, there is more than one and it is always going to be a constant battle to clean up after them. If the ODF uses what is happening as an excuse to stop supporting established lanes, then they really didn't want to support it in the first place and they were just looking for a reason to stop.

Public land is public land and you can't put restrictions, gates, locks, costs or any other methods to keep a specific group of people out or it's no longer public land and we'll all be excluded for one reason or another.

It's frustrating, it's discouraging, it's maddening, but it's also no going to go away even if ODF does stop their support.

Mike

Personally I think it's a huge benefit to all shooters the work u are doing and it's critically important. However imo the education part will never reach, nor effect, the bad actors.

For that site I would leave out the rules, safety officers, volunteers beyond what is already there already. I would just add a simple program to restrict access to people that will damage the site.

For example:
1) trash no land/Odfw/forest service or whoever has an education course 2-3 times per year about shooting on public land. Maybe have it more frequently at first when the program is new. At the course people can sign up to use this site for $10 for 2 years and are given an access code.
2) a gate is built with the code lock and signage saying that using the site is a privilege and due to damage in the past u must attend the education course for access (contact instructions are on sign)
3) if and when there is damage (very unlikely except for signage near the gate) u can change the code and update all current people who have signed up, make them aware of the damage and stress not to let anyone else through the gate when they come in or stress lock the gate behind you etc.
I appreciate the constructive thought put into this! Thanks. Not so sure about the idea, but certainly worth kicking it around.

I have designed, and teach occasionally, a free 1 hr class on target shooting on public lands. I just don't have much time to offer that class on a regular basis. It doesn't seem that anyone else is interested in learning to teach the class, so, it won't be offered very often. I've often thought it should be a required class to shoot on public land and those who take it would have a card in their wallet to prove they have done it. I had big push back from shooters about making it a requirement and I agree with a lot of their concerns. So, I just offer the class for free and hope to get attendance. I don't think we should try to make it a requirement. I have hopes of getting instructor help to put on the class and get ODF and ODFW to host and advertise it. I think it would help.

At this point, I'm really thinking of video surveillance and turning in the bad guys doing stuff (the kind of stuff that deserves to be turned in). It might cost us a few cameras, but could be worth it. I would be inclined to post our catch to social media so we can show the consequences of their actions. If Trash No Land were better supported financially, I'd already have some cameras up.

If the ODF think that by no longer supporting or adding new lanes and additional sites is going to solve this kind of activity, they are a bunch of idiots. People are going to do this no matter what and no matter if it's a improved site like NFWC or a gravel pit or just an open spot in the trees or if it has anything to do with shooting at all. This happens to trail heads and inside parks and other public lands as well.

What it sounds like they are not considering is that by the ODF and other public land groups supporting shooters and providing safe places to shoot, that it brings out the people like that are on this site and Trash No Land groups and others that work to keep it clean and safe... even if it has to be done over and over. If those of us that want places like NFWC to be built and maintained and supported by the ODF no longer have these locations, then what is going to be the incentive to go clean up those gravel pits or open spots beside the road? Yes, some will still do it, but not at the same level as people do now at the more established locations. All that will happens is it will get worse and worse until shooting is shut down completely, and that won't stop this kind of activity in the least.

About the only thing about this that surprises me is how people seem to be so shocked that it happens. It shouldn't surprise anyone as there are people that could care less on what they are doing to the land and how it affects those that want to be responsible shooters. It only takes one to ruin it for everyone... unfortunately, there is more than one and it is always going to be a constant battle to clean up after them. If the ODF uses what is happening as an excuse to stop supporting established lanes, then they really didn't want to support it in the first place and they were just looking for a reason to stop.

Public land is public land and you can't put restrictions, gates, locks, costs or any other methods to keep a specific group of people out or it's no longer public land and we'll all be excluded for one reason or another.

It's frustrating, it's discouraging, it's maddening, but it's also no going to go away even if ODF does stop their support.

Mike
Well said, Mike!

Mike
Poeple are already excluded from many public parks where there is a small fee. U don't see any homeless camps there or lots of damage. As for the wide open parks where there is no fee u do see both homeless and damage.

Poeple are already excluded from boating on public waterways, where a boating card is required.

Poeple are already excluded from hunting on public land, where a license is required.

The need is to exclude the worst actors, not anyone else. Something like an education class or small fee can likely do that imo.

All u have to do is imagine looking back 10 or 20 years from now and ask what will it be like with the road u are currently on. Take the golf course example. If the golf course is damaged continually poeple will stop going and/or management will be upset. It will fall into disuse and become condos or a cemetery. Same thing here. Odf will get more frustrated over time and eventually a manager will come in and say, "we don't need to deal with this bs, this is making my job difficult." Then the closed signs will go up and it will likely never be reopened.

if we don't like the road we are on with it's likely result, we have the option of changing courses to a road that leads to a different destination. One where the shooting lanes remain open because we aren't increasing the burden/frustration of Odf/managers.

Thanks, Cogs. I should say though, that I do not think the ODF are idiots and their comments are probably a result of their frustration as well.

Mike
I agree. And quite smart! I see a big effort on their part to try to keep it open. We discuss lots of ideas but they have never indicated anything about closing it. Only how can we make things better and how can we correct the bad stuff. They know it's just a few. This goes on in all forms of recreation. Nothing new here.

Poeple are already excluded from many public parks where there is a small fee. U don't see any homeless camps there or lots of damage. As for the wide open parks where there is no fee u do see both homeless and damage.

Poeple are already excluded from boating on public waterways, where a boating card is required.

Poeple are already excluded from hunting on public land, where a license is required.

The need is to exclude the worst actors, not anyone else. Something like an education class or small fee can likely do that imo.

All u have to do is imagine looking back 10 or 20 years from now and ask what will it be like with the road u are currently on. Take the golf course example. If the golf course is damaged continually poeple will stop going and/or management will be upset. It will fall into disuse and become condos or a cemetery. Same thing here. Odf will get more frustrated over time and eventually a manager will come in and say, "we don't need to deal with this bs, this is making my job difficult." Then the closed signs will go up and it will likely never be reopened.

if we don't like the road we are on with it's likely result, we have the option of changing courses to a road that leads to a different destination. One where the shooting lanes remain open because we aren't increasing the burden/frustration of Odf/managers.

In most cases, while the waterway is public, it's not treated the same as public land. Some of the reasons being that a waterway can be more used than a lot of public land and there is more of a safety factor involved, not to mention that different groups of people use it for different reasons. But even then, even enforcement is usually concentrated where most of the people are. If there is a lot of public access for boating, fishing, swimming, etc., there are going to be more law enforcement present. If you get out into some of the more remote public waterways, there is also going to be a lack of enforcement, just like on public land that is away from the main people areas.

It all comes down to enforcement of the land and areas where we shoot. If the money isn't there to hire the officers, there won't be anyone to enforce even basic laws, let alone access restrictions. Those that are going to break the law are going to when ever they can. Even putting up one of Trump's walls around NFWC wouldn't stop it... the walls would just provide a good surface for more graffiti and bullet holes.

There isn't really any good solutions, just a bunch of band aids applied by the people that care.

Mike

In most cases, while the waterway is public, it's not treated the same as public land. Some of the reasons being that a waterway can be more used than a lot of public land and there is more of a safety factor involved, not to mention that different groups of people use it for different reasons. But even then, even enforcement is usually concentrated where most of the people are. If there is a lot of public access for boating, fishing, swimming, etc., there are going to be more law enforcement present. If you get out into some of the more remote public waterways, there is also going to be a lack of enforcement, just like on public land that is away from the main people areas.

It all comes down to enforcement of the land and areas where we shoot. If the money isn't there to hire the officers, there won't be anyone to enforce even basic laws, let alone access restrictions. Those that are going to break the law are going to when ever they can. Even putting up one of Trump's walls around NFWC wouldn't stop it... the walls would just provide a good surface for more graffiti and bullet holes.

There isn't really any good solutions, just a bunch of band aids applied by the people that care.

Mike
I would disagree that there aren't good solutions and I would say we can do a heck of a lot better than bandaids imo. I would not focus on enforcement at all. That's why I don't support the card idea, but I love the intent and creative thinking of that.

Gate is simpler and doesn't add need for enforcement at all. It simply makes it harder for bad actors to get into. Similar to burglars trying to get into ur house, if they are really determined they will find a way in. But some simple barriers/precautions will make 99%+ of them go elsewhere.

It's human nature. We are lazy creatures. If these a-holes can roll up to somewhere and make their mess they will do it. If they have to leave their vehicle outside the gate (where poeple can see it and know they can't be there), hike up a hill and bring all their TVs they want to shoot up, spray cans, guns, ammo etc they probably aren't going to do it and look for somewhere easier.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top