JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes they are. I might interrupt your activities for a few moments, while I show lanes 1, 2 & 3 to the excavation contractor for bidding, but otherwise, you're good to go.

Greetings everyone, newbie here!

I have a few very basic questions regarding shooting at Wolf Creek lanes. My apologies if these questions have been answered before, but my quick search did not bring anything :(

Is it busy these days in morning hours, like 9 am on weekdays? I suspect it should not, but given nice weather outside...
What kind of targets I can shoot there?
Shall I bring my "stands" to attach paper targets of i just put them on a ground? Or, can I bring a cardboard box (and just shoot box (amazon delivery box)) or put paper targets on it? Can I shoot anything else, like empty tin can/cans? (produced garbage will go back with me)
Is it enough to have 100 rounds for ~1hour shooting experience? I shoot before, long-long-long time ago in a far-far away galaxy :) - target shooting with 22LR target pistol, but this time I have Glock 19, which is quite different from what I used before...

P.S. 2 gallons of water, 3 plastic garbage bags, and a shovel are already inside my car trunk.

Okay, Bander, you sound like you got a good handle on basic shooting on public lands, so I'll help you out a little.

No matter where you shoot on public land, you'll still need to use legal targets (made specifically for target shooting), or print your own paper targets. Tin cans, milk jugs, ECT, could be considered household garbage, by a law enforcement officer, and I'd hate to see you get a ticket.

Stands are always best but you can put targets on the ground. Best to put them in front of the backstop to help prevent stray bullets from leaving the range (Not on top or in the open lane).

You can use the box idea if you like. Nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't go out there with any less than your 100 rounds. All depends on how much fun you're having.

Best days to go are week days and best times are morning hours.

Have a great time! And thanks for doing your homework and cleaning up when you're done!

Enjoy!

It's your call but I don't want to see it! Not a good look on shooters, in general, as it gives others the idea that they can do it too and it must be okay with the rules. Still, a LEO could site you for it. I'm sure you'd take it out but someone else may not.

Yeah, like Cogs said. Please stick with official targets and cardboard. I started by using boxes with targets on them. But as far as I've seen, people bring all sorts of junk up there to shoot and leave it all behind. The Tillamook Forest rules state what kind of targets to use on their blog site. You know I've found cans, glass, metal cylinders, break drums, shot up ply wood and 2x4's and plastic junk and a couch cushion left behind. It's a real nice place to shoot except for that. I generally go up with at least 150 rounds. These days it's not so busy but I've seen people up there at 8 am on every day of the week and so I always expect to see someone there shooting besides me. It's a popular place. Have fun ! Be safe and thanks for bringing garbage bags out there with you.

I recommend a Hatfield Target stand. Local, they support Trash No Land and the efforts at Wolf Creek, and a damn fine target holder.

I finally broke down and bought one. Highly impressed.

upload_2018-10-16_15-15-18.jpeg

http://hatpointtarget.com/shop-ii/

I have home made stands that I use for IPSC card board silhouette targets and or cardboard. I welded several of them up over the years. The reason I was asking how they felt of jugs of water was that my 9 year old has this idea he wants to be a Seal Sniper. I just wanted him to see the destructive energy of a high powered rifle with a jug of water. Being as young as he is he has no idea what it really means to shoot something like a living critter let alone a human.

I think fruit or veggies wouldn't fit the "manufactured specifically for..." part of the rule. Kinda too bad because they are biodegradable and fun to blast to smithereens!

Some guys were setting out raw eggs on golf tees last weekend at lane 3. Our ODF rep, myself and our contractor walked down the lane as they were putting them out. We didn't say anything but I couldn't help but think they shouldn't do that while ODF was there. Oh well, I don't think it hurts anything. I'd like to edit that rule but it means we'd have to get a change in the state law about it.

Maybe use clay targets. Is fruit legal to shoot? That would show the same force as a water jug
I'm not sure, but I know when we were at the Beaver Dam Rock Pit in a state forest shooting watermelons and coconuts we were almost cited by a law enforcement officer. They mentioned that it could impact the ecosystem. If you think about it, the seeds of some fruits could potentially sprout plants that could impact the forest and wildlife. Not good for wildlife either if it becomes a regular thing and they go eating heavy metal filled fruit.

I recommend a Hatfield Target stand. Local, they support Trash No Land and the efforts at Wolf Creek, and a damn fine target holder.

I finally broke down and bought one. Highly impressed.

View attachment 509437

http://hatpointtarget.com/shop-ii/
Almost free, hillbilly version.
I have a spray and pray shootin' buddy (see top target) so cheap targets are required.
:D
10 -18 -18 Target 10mm I .png
1/10' stick of 1-1/2" PVC
4 ea. PVC Tees
Cut 6 pcs. @ 16"
7th piece is 24".....this makes the crossmember and will require a 27" wide cardboard backer
Large size paper clasps hold the backer
Verts. are 1x2x 6 feet....sand bottom corners to fit inside PVC

I do not glue any joints.
1) If it gets hit, it's easy to fix without glued joints
2) No glue allows for takedown for travel (PVC fittings are a taper-fit so they will jam tight)

I wish that I had designed it, but it is the best PVC target stand design....no unneeded elbows and wrap-around frame on the bottom portion.
Put weight on the feet in windy conditions.

I have a spray and pray shootin' buddy (see top target) so cheap targets are required.
View attachment 513685
1/10' stick of 1-1/2" PVC
4 ea. PVC Tees
Cut 6 pcs. @ 16"
7th piece is 24".....this makes the crossmember and will require a 27" wide cardboard backer
Large size paper clasps hold the backer
Verts. are 1x2x 6 feet....sand bottom corners to fit inside PVC

I do not glue any joints.
1) If it gets hit, it's easy to fix without glued joints
2) No glue allows for takedown for travel (PVC fittings are a taper-fit so they will jam tight)

I wish that I had designed it, but it is the best PVC target stand design....no unneeded elbows and wrap-around frame on the bottom portion.
Put weight on the feet in windy conditions.
Nice! I like simple! I also like encouraging this type of stand. Bet you won't leave it out there after you spent the effort to make it or buy one! Less trash makes us look good!

Thanks, Direct D!!!

Do they mind if we shoot plastic gallon jugs full of water as long as we pack out the scrap?
These are fun to watch explode & leak all over but they're no fun to pick up when others leave them behind. I pulled 4 off of lane 1 this past Sunday along with some other misc.

On the bright side, I burned through a ton of mags with my AR9 and didn't get rained on.

View attachment 513685

I make some like this too. They work pretty well, but I don't use the crosspiece on the uprights. I think the math works out more favorably that way because you don't have as much PVC left over. Overall the work pretty well and I'm pleased with them, although all the PVC segments take up a surprising amount of room in the trunk!

Edit: Found it! Those are the instructions I followed. Cheap and functional!

I'm not going to lie, I am super excited to get the lanes reopened and see how folks like the newly renovated backstops on the lanes redone.

Don't forget we are looking to get these renovations done to the other lanes as well!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top