JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is plenty of relatively flat area in front of the jersey barriers on all four lanes, but lane 3 & 4 will allow you to sight in at 50 yards easy enough. I realize this is a popular time for hunters to go to the lanes to sight in their hunting rifle before heading out on a hunt and indeed lanes 3 & 4 are excellent for this application. With that said, please, please don't just pull up, pull out your rifle and help yourself to the lane if somebodies already there. I know the people who only have gone up there to sight in/check there scopes before a hunt are not trying to be disrespectful, but it is a first come. first serve location and those of us who use the lanes regularly don't appreciate having anyone just drive up, pull out their rifle and start shooting at our targets. This has only happen to me once, and his wife smooth things out with me obviously well familiar with his lack of tact, and fortunately he pulled this on me and not one of the 'tacticool' types I've run into up there. This year, the only guy that did this ask me first if he could play through quickly which is all I ask.

I'm confused. I was under the impression, based on someone else's comment here, that lanes 3 and 4 were shared lanes. Of course I don't mean shared targets. I don't understand why anyone would just walk up and start shooting at someone else's target set up. Seems pretty common sense that one shouldn't do that, but if in fact the lanes are large enough to share, I could see someone assuming that the lanes were sharable. Are lanes 3 and 4 in fact not meant to be shared?

It's more a case of people who complain about lack of common sense, sometimes lack common sense.

They *can* be shared, all lanes *can* be shared, but it's how much room there is there, and many people are (rightfully) not comfortable with a complete unknown with a deadly tool setting up shop next to them - hence the "ask first" part.

It's more a case of people who complain about lack of common sense, sometimes lack common sense.

They *can* be shared, all lanes *can* be shared, but it's how much room there is there, and many people are (rightfully) not comfortable with a complete unknown with a deadly tool setting up shop next to them - hence the "ask first" part.

EGGZAKLY!

I'm confused. I was under the impression, based on someone else's comment here, that lanes 3 and 4 were shared lanes. Of course I don't mean shared targets. I don't understand why anyone would just walk up and start shooting at someone else's target set up. Seems pretty common sense that one shouldn't do that, but if in fact the lanes are large enough to share, I could see someone assuming that the lanes were sharable. Are lanes 3 and 4 in fact not meant to be shared?
I've seem people share all the lanes, I've shared lane 2 with two others, required taking turns, but that's cool. Lanes three and four are indeed meant to be shared with one side for long rifle and the other for handgun, though the handgun berm on lane four is so worn down it's safe for people to shoot at the longer berm without risk to anyone shooting on the long side. In both of the incidents I'd mentioned, I was set up on the long rifle side when they showed up to sight in their rifles. I was unclear on the 'shooting at my targets', what happened was I was collecting my brass in between switching to a different caliber rifle when he and his wire showed up. He just got out of his truck, placed his rifle on my shooting mat, walked down range to set his target next to mine, came back and started shooting, all without even looking at me let along saying anything. Some people are ultra-alphas and figure they can do what they want and leave to it to others to say something instead of being polite and thoughtful. So he wasn't actually shooting at my targets, but he was shooting in my spot towards my targets without asking first and that's not cool. It's been talked about many times on this blog, what is the proper protocol when arriving at a lane already in use and what to do if you are the one already there. As far as I can tell the consensus is that you should share the lane, but some people don't want to for many reasons (they are with a first time shooter or with their kids and want to ensure they feel safe while shooting for the first time, I've asked people to wait so I could finish shooting video, and some want to do 'move and shoot' drills out in front of the jersey barriers, etc), so it's imperative that anyone showing up at a lane in use make the effort to be sure the person(s) already there are cool with you joining.

I was just asking a question to ensure absolute clarity for someone that's new to shooting and has never been to these particular shooting lanes. I think it's a valid question & has little to do with "common sense" because sharing targets (the common sense part) and sharing lanes aren't the same thing. Moreover, the person who responded to my question initially was referring to sharing/shooting their targets and stated it was first come first serve which implies a queue. So yeah, not 100% clear what's typical and what's not and I think it makes sense to ask instead of assuming when dealing with as you put it, a "deadly tool".

Having said that, I appreciate the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seem people share all the lanes, I've shared lane 2 with two others, required taking turns, but that's cool. Lanes three and four are indeed meant to be shared with one side for long rifle and the other for handgun, though the handgun berm on lane four is so worn down it's safe for people to shoot at the longer berm without risk to anyone shooting on the long side. In both of the incidents I'd mentioned, I was set up on the long rifle side when they showed up to sight in their rifles. I was unclear on the 'shooting at my targets', what happened was I was collecting my brass in between switching to a different caliber rifle when he and his wire showed up. He just got out of his truck, placed his rifle on my shooting mat, walked down range to set his target next to mine, came back and started shooting, all without even looking at me let along saying anything. Some people are ultra-alphas and figure they can do what they want and leave to it to others to say something instead of being polite and thoughtful. So he wasn't actually shooting at my targets, but he was shooting in my spot towards my targets without asking first and that's not cool. It's been talked about many times on this blog, what is the proper protocol when arriving at a lane already in use and what to do if you are the one already there. As far as I can tell the consensus is that you should share the lane, but some people don't want to for many reasons (they are with a first time shooter or with their kids and want to ensure they feel safe while shooting for the first time, I've asked people to wait so I could finish shooting video, and some want to do 'move and shoot' drills out in front of the jersey barriers, etc), so it's imperative that anyone showing up at a lane in use make the effort to be sure the person(s) already there are cool with you joining.

Thank you for the response and for making that crystal clear. I appreciate it a lot as someone that's completely new to this stuff. I want to ensure that I'm 100% informed and safe.

Fair question and fair responses. That conversation has helped more than just one person. I think the end result is simply to just "Be excellent to each other" by asking and being respectful. Good convo, guys.

I was just asking a question to ensure absolute clarity for someone that's new to shooting and has never been to these particular shooting lanes. I think it's a valid question & has little to do with "common sense" because sharing targets (the common sense part) and sharing lanes aren't the same thing. Moreover, the person who responded to my question initially was referring to sharing/shooting their targets and stated it was first come first serve which implies a queue. So yeah, not 100% clear what's typical and what's not and I think it makes sense to ask instead of assuming when dealing with as you put it, a "deadly tool".

Having said that, I appreciate the response.
My common sense reference was not directed at you, but to the person Cosimel experienced, your questions are absolutely and perfectly valid, it's good to know before you go, so to speak :)

My common sense reference was not directed at you, but to the person Cosimel experienced, your questions are absolutely and perfectly valid, it's good to know before you go, so to speak :)

Got it. Apologies for misreading that. Thanks again for the info.

I think I've said stated this before...people here in this part of the forum have been great.

Ok, please bear with me. Noobie question incoming.

Is it ok to try to sight in a red dot on a rifle without benching or doing anything special? In other words, can I just shoot standing up, using a standard shooting stance to sight in a red dot or is it completely futile to try to sight in a rifle without being seated at a table with a bag/rest support?

The reason I'm asking this is because this hobby is starting to get expensive and I'm trying my best to be cost effective (I'd have to purchase a portable table, a few chairs & a bag or shooting vise). Also I want to be able to travel as lightly as possible. If I can avoid having to lug around a table, even a small one, that would be preferable. Also, at 50 yards, is it necessary to have a spotting scope to sight in a rifle correctly? Is it possible to see groups with one of those splatter targets without a spotting scope?

You can absolutely do it stood up, just bear in mind you'll take longer to do so, but it's a money saving technique, right? Just concentrate on your form and grip for consistency.

Toys and accessories will come in time, this isn't a flash in the pan sport :D

Is it ok to try to sight in a red dot on a rifle without benching or doing anything special? In other words, can I just shoot standing up, using a standard shooting stance to sight in a red dot or is it completely futile to try to sight in a rifle without being seated at a table with a bag/rest support?

The reason I'm asking this is because this hobby is starting to get expensive and I'm trying my best to be cost effective (I'd have to purchase a portable table, a few chairs & a bag or shooting vise). Also I want to be able to travel as lightly as possible. If I can avoid having to lug around a table, even a small one, that would be preferable. Also, at 50 yards, is it necessary to have a spotting scope to sight in a rifle correctly? Is it possible to see groups with one of those splatter targets without a spotting scope?

There are concrete barriers up there you can rest the rifle on and kneel behind, or just use an old backpack as a softer rest on the barriers.

.223 holes are hard to see at a distance. If you have no spotting scope, or not enough magnification on your optic, just walk out there when it's safe and check. If you're sharing the lane, be sure to make sure everyone knows you are going down range.

Unless you're really steady, I wouldn't try sighting in just free standing. Personally, I can barely keep my crosshairs steady within a couple inches. However, you don't need all the fancy tables and vices. It's not the most comfortable, but the simplest way is to squat behind the barrier and use whatever you have (backpack, rolled up towel, etc) to rest the rifle on the jersey barrier to steady it. As for a spotting scope, I guess it depends on how good your eyes are. With zero magnification I don't think I'd be able to see the holes from 50 yards. Worst case, take a few shots and walk to your target.
And a word of advice. Always know where the uncovered part of your barrel is. It only takes a split second to melt a hole into your backpack

Unless you're really steady, I wouldn't try sighting in just free standing. Personally, I can barely keep my crosshairs steady within a couple inches. However, you don't need all the fancy tables and vices. It's not the most comfortable, but the simplest way is to squat behind the barrier and use whatever you have (backpack, rolled up towel, etc) to rest the rifle on the jersey barrier to steady it. As for a spotting scope, I guess it depends on how good your eyes are. With zero magnification I don't think I'd be able to see the holes from 50 yards. Worst case, take a few shots and walk to your target.
And a word of advice. Always know where the uncovered part of your barrel is. It only takes a split second to melt a hole into your backpack
I'm not sure why you'd be sighting in a red dot at 50 yds?
Not everyone is as unsteady, though at 50 yds i think we're all gonna move :D

But yes, the barriers and other options to rest on are a much better idea than freestanding, all depends on your ability, but barrier will always win out.

Shoot prone?

Your going to be way better off grabbing lanes 1 or 2, setting your "target" at 10 yards and get yourself on the bull and being able to see it at the same time. You will have far less frustration with the learning process being able see see your shots as you shoot them. I would also suggest that you only put one round at a time in the mag and shoot it. This will help keep you from just blasting away. You can save a full mag for the end and dump it into the berm. Once you are getting consistent groups in the center of the target (not necessarily in the bullseye off-hand), start moving the target out further 10 yards at a time going through this process each time. And by all means, do not get in a race to 50. Take your time and learn. Figure out a way to sight in your weapon off a rest so you're not chasing it all over the place, then take a stance. Gosh there is so much more. Good luck!

Your going to be way better off grabbing lanes 1 or 2, setting your "target" at 10 yards and get yourself on the bull and being able to see it at the same time. You will have far less frustration with the learning process being able see see your shots as you shoot them. I would also suggest that you only put one round at a time in the mag and shoot it. This will help keep you from just blasting away. You can save a full mag for the end and dump it into the berm. Once you are getting consistent groups in the center of the target (not necessarily in the bullseye off-hand), start moving the target out further 10 yards at a time going through this process each time. And by all means, do not get in a race to 50. Take your time and learn. Figure out a way to sight in your weapon off a rest so you're not chasing it all over the place, then take a stance. Gosh there is so much more. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.

Do lanes 1 and 2 have barriers?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top