JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoot! I was just sitting here loading mags to take up to Wolf Creek tomorrow.:(
I have a question in to Stephanie Beall, District Operations Coordinator, asking where the gate will be placed on NF Wolf Creek Rd. If before the lanes turn off, the lanes will be closed. If after, the lanes would be open. I'll post her response as soon as I get it.

I have a question in to Stephanie Beall, District Operations Coordinator, asking where the gate will be placed on NF Wolf Creek Rd. If before the lanes turn off, the lanes will be closed. If after, the lanes would be open. I'll post her response as soon as I get it.

Thank you Sir.

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

Wow, I was just up on lane 4 this morning. It was quite popular in fact, I was join shortly after I started, and there was a group waiting at the lane when I packed out. On the way back down, all the lanes were occupied. I rolled out at about 8:30 this morning, so I can't say they've not closed it since. I was early enough to get some graffiti covered. I'm glad I was able to get there before any closure and chronograph a t test batch before producing the remaining 950 rounds, which should take me until they reopen aways :)

20200903_063225_HDR~2.jpg 20200903_065019_HDR~2.jpg

Thanks for the update! Was about to head up again this weekend.

Did I read correctly that the only restriction is that I cannot drive in at this time? It is ok to mountain bike or hike in to North Fork range?

Considering the fire level is at extreme and the wind in that area is still very gusty, I would think that target shooting would be prohibited, and personally, I request you not take that risk for all of our sakes, please. :)

Last Edited:
Point is though THE-FOREST-IS-CLOSED! So we'll hope people stay completely on paved road and keep their damned butts in the ash tray! :s0155:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't going shooting was going to take advantage of down time for clean up but not trying to get caught behind a fire line, also to far to pack garbage bags to the highway!
I like your spirit! Yeah, I've been doing that too, lately, but now they don't want us anywhere near the forest.

Tillamook State Forest Re-opens to Public Use Friday, Sept. 18

While some Oregon State Forest's re-open on Friday the 18th, remember we are still in 'EXTREME' fire danger. Check the map link and click on the map to see current conditions where you want to visit.

I would hope this means the temporary gates will be open. I read the conditions, on the map for Wolf Creek Rd area and it says Extreme fire danger and no explosives, but doesn't restrict shooting. Just use caution if you go out and pack the shovel, water and/or the fire extinguisher.

Tillamook State Forest Blog

I'd leave it be for at least another few weeks. I love target shooting in the woods, but it's just something that is a no-go here in August/Sept, IMHO. Weather is warm and dry so it's a good chance for all of us to pitch in on our maintenance (I'm looking at those of you that I never see at clean ups, show up and pitch in) and get ready for batteries release in October when it's back to a nice safe dampness.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top