JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have it posted to the Trash No Land Blog page. I also reported on other activity this weekend.

To anyone else, send me a note if you do a Random Act of Cleanup when you're out shooting! It's important for forest agencies to know you did it and it's important the general public sees how responsible gun owners are!

Happy reading!

Darrington Pit Cleanup: A Snohomish County shooting pit gets an unexpected cleanup!

No Shooting Signs posted: To Shoot or Not To Shoot? Someone please give me a sign!

Surprise at Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes: Special Shooting Lanes Are Well Cared For!

I have it posted to the Trash No Land Blog page. I also reported on other activity this weekend.

To anyone else, send me a note if you do a Random Act of Cleanup when you're out shooting! It's important for forest agencies to know you did it and it's important the general public sees how responsible gun owners are!

Happy reading!

Darrington Pit Cleanup: A Snohomish County shooting pit gets an unexpected cleanup!

No Shooting Signs posted: To Shoot or Not To Shoot? Someone please give me a sign!

Surprise at Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes: Special Shooting Lanes Are Well Cared For!
Good posts @Cogs . Nice to see things showing some improvement. Hopefully people will continue to take ownership of where they shot.

I'd recommend lane 2, be sure you've got something in the way of a target stand. Have fun !!!
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I got out there today at about 7am and was the first one there. Took lane #2 and used a tarp to collect my casings. My first 5 shots were within the second ring in on the target, which felt good (I wish I could say they all were). :)

I decided to make my own stand out of a 10ft piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, a couple of 3-way connectors, some strong clips and some zip ties:

IMG_3281c.png

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I got out there today at about 7am and was the first one there. Took lane #2 and used a tarp to collect my casings. My first 5 shots were within the second ring in on the target, which felt good (I wish I could say they all were). :)

I decide to make my own stand out of a 10ft piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, a couple of 3-way connectors, some strong clips and some zip ties:

View attachment 725293
I love it
I suggest having an extra leg in case you sway to the side and hit the stand

I decide to make my own stand out of a 10ft piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, a couple of 3-way connectors, some strong clips and some zip ties:

View attachment 725293

I got these for my paper targets.

I made the mistake of using them for gongs as well... not good, the bullet breaks apart and broke the tightening knob on one of the stands. But this is very nice and very portable.

I would do these for gong setup

these are the cheapest gong set I could find. multiple sizes, AR500, and 1/2" thick

Was up on lane 4 last Thursday to chronograph a new batch of .460 Rowland, try out a Houge 12" LOP butt stock on my 590 Tactile, and to have some fun with this years' birthday present to myself, a Henry Golden Boy. Ended up sharing the lane with @arrowshooter, had a great time, super nice dude. We shared stories of our recent bad experiences with purchasing a firearm from the Hillsboro Sportsman's Warehouse; he ended up buying a 'new' rifle with copper build up in the barrel, several hurdles faced to get that replaced, and I'd chosen Sportsman's over another LGS that I'd had plenty of good experience with to buy that Henry Golden Boy which had to be shipped to the store. Despite calling the store first, if I hadn't reached out to their corporate customer service I'd still be waiting on word that it had arrived at the store, or at least waiting to hear that my 4473 passed, both of these things I had to 'find out' for myself. On the upside, the Henry is all I'd hoped and I believe Steve was also happy with his replacement rifle, and the lanes looked fairly good. I didn't get a chance to inspect all the jersey barriers, but the new tagging on lane 4 was at least not hateful. Not a lot of big trash, but plenty of food and drink refuge as well as the usual shotgun shell litter, though not nearly as bad as Pit 36 which I visited last Sunday, OMG, sooo many shotgun shells !!!!!!

Not a lot of big trash, but plenty of food and drink refuge as well as the usual shotgun shell litter, though not nearly as bad as Pit 36 which I visited last Sunday, OMG, sooo many shotgun shells !!!!!!

You been over to the Beaver Dam Pit lately? It was beyond belief for shot gun hulls more than a month ago. We weren't shooting, we were on an oyster/beef stick run to Tillamook/Garabaldi

You been over to the Beaver Dam Pit lately? It was beyond belief for shot gun hulls more than a month ago. We weren't shooting, we were on an oyster/beef stick run to Tillamook/Garabaldi
Spoiler Alert....

Can't help but think that Tillamook Smoker beef sticks are made from old, tired dairy cows.
Say it ain't so !
OK, not the end of the world, I suppose.
Just a weird thought.
;)

You drove by some of the best beef/pepperoni in the land.
Butcher Shop - Meating Place PDX
And then this place here, Mayer's Custom Meats has some of the best beef/pepperoni sticks as well.
Not far off of 205 in North Vancouver.

Pro Tip:
Go into Mayers, tell them that this is your first visit, get a free rack of beef sticks...your choice of flavor.
That's how I was welcomed.
At Gartner's, noobs get one stick.

I love Gartner's but their beef sticks are "pedestrian".

Pro Tip2:
Parkrose Hardware is now carrying Iowa Smokehouse products.
The Spicy Beef Sticks are simply awesome.
Any of the other "flavors" are just average.

These is them...
httpwww.atwoodsoutdoors.comimagesiowa52400071.png

DD
Certified Maniacal Beef Stick Connoisseur

Last Edited:
Spoiler Alert....

Can't help but think that Tillamook Smoker beef sticks are made from old, tired dairy cows.
Say it ain't so !
OK, not the end of the world, I suppose.
Just a weird thought.
;)

You drove by some of the best beef/pepperoni in the land.
Butcher Shop - Meating Place PDX
And then this place here, Mayer's Custom Meats has some of the best beef/pepperoni sticks as well.
Not far off of 205 in North Vancouver.

Pro Tip:
Go into Mayers, tell them that this is your first visit, get a free rack of beef sticks...your choice of flavor.
That's how I was welcomed.
At Gartner's, noobs get one stick.

I love Gartner's but their beef sticks are "pedestrian".

Pro Tip2:
Parkrose Hardware is now carrying Iowa Smokehouse products.
The Spicy Beef Sticks are simply awesome.
Any of the other "flavors" are just average.

These is them...
View attachment 739577

DD
Certified Maniacal Beef Stick Connoisseur

You're really into your beef sticks! Its the oysters that are the main draw to go down there. And a day out of this horrid city and many of it's people. I live right near Gartners. Most of their stuff is too spendy for my blood. I do get their pepperonies from time to time, a beef log around Christmas maybe.

I should put those places in memory and swing in one day though. We went to White's meats out in Gresham one time and bought some dogs and beef sticks/pepperoni's and they weren't any thing different than Gartner's. What is it anyway? Ground up meat with spices, in a casing, smoked/cooked. It's all good I say. A matter of individual taste .

You're really into your beef sticks! Its the oysters that are the main draw to go down there. And a day out of this horrid city and many of it's people. I live right near Gartners. Most of their stuff is too spendy for my blood. I do get their pepperonies from time to time, a beef log around Christmas maybe.

I should put those places in memory and swing in one day though. We went to White's meats out in Gresham one time and bought some dogs and beef sticks/pepperoni's and they weren't any thing different than Gartner's. What is it anyway? Ground up meat with spices, in a casing, smoked/cooked. It's all good I say. A matter of individual taste .
There's the "garden variety" beef stick and then there's that exquisite beef stick.
The top sausage makers get their ingredients just right and they apply more effort.
At Mayer's for instance, just one guy does the beef sticks.

Gartner's is a good example of an average beef stick.
However, their marinated, flanken-cut beef ribs are to die for, as you may know.
People come from all over for those.
I cracked the code on that secret marinade about 6 years ago.
If anyone wants it, message me.

Was up on lane 4 last Thursday to chronograph a new batch of .460 Rowland, try out a Houge 12" LOP butt stock on my 590 Tactile, and to have some fun with this years' birthday present to myself, a Henry Golden Boy. Ended up sharing the lane with @arrowshooter, had a great time, super nice dude. We shared stories of our recent bad experiences with purchasing a firearm from the Hillsboro Sportsman's Warehouse; he ended up buying a 'new' rifle with copper build up in the barrel, several hurdles faced to get that replaced, and I'd chosen Sportsman's over another LGS that I'd had plenty of good experience with to buy that Henry Golden Boy which had to be shipped to the store. Despite calling the store first, if I hadn't reached out to their corporate customer service I'd still be waiting on word that it had arrived at the store, or at least waiting to hear that my 4473 passed, both of these things I had to 'find out' for myself. On the upside, the Henry is all I'd hoped and I believe Steve was also happy with his replacement rifle, and the lanes looked fairly good. I didn't get a chance to inspect all the jersey barriers, but the new tagging on lane 4 was at least not hateful. Not a lot of big trash, but plenty of food and drink refuge as well as the usual shotgun shell litter, though not nearly as bad as Pit 36 which I visited last Sunday, OMG, sooo many shotgun shells !!!!!!

Hey Steve, I'd share a lane with you any day. That new Golden Boy is Sweet!

Went yesterday and was able to get on lane 2 after a nice gentleman told me he was finishing up.
Lane was in pretty good shape! Shooter before me took some time to collect his targets and brass.

Other than what I brought, I picked up some cardboard and some shells. Otherwise all good!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top