JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NAA carry gun= face and neck shot from close up

I like my odds of a face/neck hit a lot better with a 6+1 semi-auto or a 5-shot J-frame than I do with a single-action revolver whose grips are so tiny that I can barely hold it or get my thumb on the hammer to manually cock it.

Lets set aside caliber for a moment. Heck, lets just go ahead and pretend that the 22LR and the .380 are roughly equal in terms of stopping power. None of that changes the fact that you have to manually thumb-cock the hammer on an NAA for every shot. In my mind, this makes the NAA for all practical purposes a single-shot derringer in a fast-paced, life-or-death struggle and if my life is at stake I want more than that. A lot more.

Except for the belt buckle and the clip grip models, you can carry these almost anywhere undetected

I spent $35 on a Galco pocket holster and another $35 on a Daltech Force T-shirt holster and I have yet to encounter a situation other than a hot tub or swimming pool where I had any difficulty at all concealing my Ruger LCR. I like five .38+P JHP's a lot more than I like one or at best two 22lr's from a 1" barrel, thank you very much.

About 80% of the people shot with handguns live. Of the 20% that die. Many have enough fight in them to kill you.

I wear something with a ''good'' chance of shutting them down. Think of at least two or three possible attackers.

You could probable talk down a single person with a pellet gun. Nobody wants to get shot!
But a gang is different. They embolden each other. And if you shoot one. The rest will be enraged.
You will need the ability to shut them down. Or you really are in trouble.

Please consider a confrontation with a pack of predators.

Hey. I'm not sure the percentage of single vs. multi person attacks or robberies. But in my case. It's been 50/50.;)

I carry a NAA .22 Magnum in a pocket holster in my back pocket as a Backup Gun. I have been carrying my five shot XDS 45 in the front pocket with spare 7 round magazine on support side, but now am starting to carry my 10 round Glock 29 with spare 10 round magazine, heavier, but more comforting and I still carry the NAA.

I have 2 of the 22 mags, a 22lr and 1 cap and ball NAA. These are well made, reliable and reasonably accurate. I can hold a 5" group at 10 yds. It conceals better than anything else I've seen. Much better than a knife in a gun fight. They are more of a novelty than a serious weapon although the .22mag would ruin somepnes day.

Part of my thinking was/ is that my primary gun might fail for some reason (Even though a G-29 or XDS are pretty darn reliable) I wanted a revolver just to make me feel better and I do. I only shoot my NAA about 2 or 3 times a year, about 20 rounds a session, but I can hit a empty soda can at 3 or 4 yards with it and the can doesn't like it at all.
I believe the .22 Magnum is a lethal round. In the house I carry a .380 or a 7 shot .22 Magnum J frame. I can shoot both accurately and have somewhat less concern about a round leaving the house and hurting a neighbor.
My NAA adds to my readiness, keeps me aware that trouble never seems to happen the way you might expect. I did not earn any merit badges in the Boy Scouts, but "Be Prepared" always seemed to be a good motto.

[ WARNING] I am Old. And somewhat grouchy. So if I offend you. Please
forgive me.

If you like, you can look at it as the ramblings of an old man who has seen a painfully slow evolution of hand guns over the last 25-30 years.

In 1991 when I bought my NAA 22 mag. All these modern small light guns did not exist!

I dreamed of guns like the Kahr, LCP, Rohrbaugh, and all the other small guns we take for granted today. Back then there was the Star, glock 26, J-frame, COP 357, officer 1911. They were truly, large and heavy times. If you wanted small. You went to a small caliber.

Oh...How times have changed! You spoiled little $hits don't know how good you have it! ;) Small light guns in every imaginable caliber! Want a 12oz .45 ACP? BOOM! Got one! Spoiled is what you are.

24 years ago my choices on ''small and light'' were limited. Anyways that's my excuse on owning a NAA 22 maggy.

Now if you bought one in the last few years? Then perhaps you should have sharpened your pencil a bit.

Yes I just bought a Kahr CW380 for $250, a week ago. Need to shoot it to gather trust and I have not done that yet. I do not have a holster for it yet and as such it is unknown if it will fit neatly in my back pocket like the NAA does. If the Kahr works then I will find something else for the NAA to do, but it's a keeper.

It was $220 plus $30 to transfer.

Last Edited:
Ya know that's an interesting point Medic. I went from a 5-shot .38 to a 2-shot .357 and it still wasn't small enough for the work I did, which is why I ultimately wound up with a 5-shot .22 mag. for so many years. I still carry the NAA but its almost always a backup to a light modern pistol.

Keith

Ya. If your old like me. You remember the dark Ages.

I followed the evolution of guns as they got smaller. Lighter. And even smaller! They were exciting time. It was like rain in the desert!

Eventually I went down the rabbit hole with the smallest of the small! I had gone too far!
Far beyond what I was comfortable with. Both in terms of reliability and feel in my hand.

I found the very thing I asked for. No! Dreamed for! Was too much of a good thing.

So I went back the other way. Back to the size that always worked for me in the past. The size that wasn't sensitive to limp wristing. Or had specific ammo needs. Back to guns like the g-26 and j-frame.

You can tell me my gun is too large or heavy. And I can live with that. I live with it very well.

I owned a NAA 22 mag for several years. It was (for me) 100% useless due to the ergonomics.

...but if you need something so tiny it can comfortably be concealed in your rectum, this is where it's at.

I owned a NAA 22 mag for several years. It was (for me) 100% useless due to the ergonomics.

...but if you need something so tiny it can comfortably be concealed in your rectum, this is where it's at.
One's rectum is probably the ONLY only place an NAA can fit where an LCP or 3AT wont.

As was stated earlier, there may have been a use for the NAA 20 years ago, but the advent of the Kel Tec P32 back in the late 90's rendered the NAA functionally obsolete.

Guns like the P32 and its multitude of successors in .380, as well as airweight .38 snubbies like the LCR and the 642, combined with pocket holsters (or "Flashbang" bra holsters for women) mean that there is no more need to rely on derringers or NAA's as deep concealment weapons.

"Guns like the P32 and its multitude of successors in .380, as well as airweight .38 snubbies like the LCR and the 642, combined with pocket holsters (or "Flashbang" bra holsters for women) mean that there is no more need to rely on derringers or NAA's as deep concealment weapons."

The Kahr CW380 might replace my NAA in the back pocket, I'll have to shoot it before trying to carry it. An LCR will not work, bothers me to sit on and it does not really conceal back there, especially in the holsters I have. I use my Colt Mustang for 'Home Carry' and want to keep it dedicated to that purpose. I trust Kel Tec especially for the 3AT and PF9 that I'm more familiar with, so the P32 might work. I think the .380 ammo choices are so improved that it wins me over to a .380 though. Mind you this is for a BUG (Back Up Gun)

One other thing good about the .380 that gets rare mention is the reliability of the rimfire ammo. I shoot my NAA just occasionally but I always shoot the ammo in it and the five extra rounds from the holster, that way I always have fresh ammo. .22 rimfire can attract moisture over time, some times needing a second strike to shoot, and sometime not shooting at all. Centerfire ammo from 25 ACP up seems more reliable in this regard.

NAA Sidewinder 22 Magnum revolver. ---- Kel Tec P32
Capacity-5 rounds ------------------------- Capacity-7+1 rounds
length 5.0" ---- ---------------------- Length 5.07"
height 2- 7/8" --------------------- Height 3-1/2"
weight empty 6.7 oz. ---- -----------weight empty 6.6 oz.
barrel 1" ---- ========-------- barrel 2.68"
22 Magnum ballistics (the charts ---- 32 ACP ballistics (4" barrel so subtract fromthis)
only go down to a 2" barrel so subtract ---- ---------- 73 grain FMJ@ 1,043 FPS=177 ft lbs.
from this) CCI Maxi Mag 40 gr. JHP@
946 FPS muzzle energy =approx. 80 ft lbs.

Both guns are the same size and same weight.
One is a single-action revolver that holds 5 rounds and must be thumb-cocked for each shot.
The other is a semi-auto that fires 7+1 as fast as you can pull the trigger.
One fires a 22 Magnum rimfire round with less than 80 ft lbs of energy.
The other fires a 32 ACP centerfire round with roughly 170 ft lbs of energy.

Head to head it isn't even close. There isn't one area where the NAA is the superior weapon. Its even more expensive than a Keltec.

To be fair, the Sidewinder is new and not nearly as common as the plain old .22 mag with conversion cylinder, of which the longer 1 1/8" barreled version's specs are 4 3/4" x 2 7/8" x 5.9 oz. with an MSRP of $254 to the P32's $318. Specs on paper bely the fact that the NAA is actually much more 'compact' than the p32, as Googling an image of "NAA .22 vs P32" will show.

Although .32 being a marked step up from .22 magnum, for a negligible increase in size and weight over the P32 you could upgrade to the .380 ballistics of the P3AT or LCP while still remaining in the realm of a true pocket pistol.

One serious problem with the NAA that hasn't been mentioned so far is the lack of a transfer bar, which if the hammer is not resting in one of the 'safety notch' between loaded cylinders, will result in a negligent discharge if dropped.

Keith

Last Edited:
Its a gun that's always on me. There are certain situations where its all you can carry and I figure its a a very final choice. It's better then busting your hand in there face.
The plus side of it being single action is the criminal will probably be to stupid to operate it if they get ahold of it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top