JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought both of these shotguns new, each have about 300 rounds through them but the mossberg looks like it has an almost abnormal amount of wear on the magazine tube compared to the Remington. It's a police magnum and 590a1. Could something be wrong with the mossberg? Action definitely isn't as smooth as the Remington.

2629C22D-AE1F-4999-B59F-85DF6040BF29.jpeg 0DB41C97-521A-40E4-AB0E-14B0BCC0F522.jpeg 791B2229-CCD3-4972-8BAF-BC5FFB1828E7.jpeg F581F125-718D-49C6-97EE-27ABDAAE938C.jpeg

That does not look normal. Is that an aftermarket foregrip on the Mossberg?

Oh, by the way thank you for not using the term "shotty" unlike 90% of online shotgun threads.

Just busted out my maverick 88. Probably 600 rounds through it and endless amount of cycling and dry firing. The tube definitely shows signs of wear but more akin to the wear on your Remington. I'm not a shotgun expert but that looks a bit abnormal.

Here's an image of wear on my mossberg.

5499C5F3-3853-4563-A2A5-10BE195C1F35.jpeg

That does not look normal. Is that an aftermarket foregrip on the Mossberg?

Oh, by the way thank you for not using the term "shotty" unlike 90% of online shotgun threads.
Yes it's a Boyd's fore end, I didn't notice anything weird with it, it's just wood. I wonder if it could affect it?

Eh. Just keep using it and it'll wear in. Since it's not binding the action, the pressure is minimal. Since the wear is already present, why worry? It's not gonna refinish itself even if you "fix" it

Eh. Just keep using it and it'll wear in. Since it's not binding the action, the pressure is minimal. Since the wear is already present, why worry? It's not gonna refinish itself even if you "fix" it
I'm just worried it'll do permanent damage if I keep running it like this. I don't see any obvious binding anywhere.

Put the original furniture back on it and see if it's smoother. If it is you are going to need to do some sanding on that new for-end to get some extra clearance.

I only have one mosberg clone and all of my other shotguns are Remington or high-standard but even the 1951 and 1981 police trade in (the first I know has had a lot of use the 2nd no idea other then what I've put thru it) are still in excellent condition with no signs of wear.

Last idea I have is possibly the grip is canted a bit and might need to have some tinkering done to get it right.

Use a black sharpie on the barrel and then rack it a few times and see if it rubs off and maybe that will tell you where the grip is rubbing.

Once you are all done, unless you want to pay to have it pristine I'd just slap some cold blue on the tube to help with corrosion resistance and continue to enjoy it. I've only ever heard of hardcore clay shooters wearing out a shotgun and even then it's something like 10k rounds+.

Another vote for furniture rubbing.... :eek: Wait...that sounds so wrong... :D
In my experience with most aftermarket parts...even so called "drop in fit" parts...they will require some fitting and adjusting.
Very rarely do they actually just drop in.

The ideas above of marking either the shot gun or stock to see where the wear is coming from is a good idea.
I have used marker or a very thin layer of RIG gun grease for this .

That is a great looking stock for the Mossberg , by the way.
Andy

Looks to me like normal wear. You can minimize by coating it with oil then wipe it off when you take it down for cleaning. This will leave a good enough film to help protect.

image56456_1.jpg
mossberg-590a1-mlok-shotgun-review-03.jpg

Looks to me like normal wear. You can minimize by coating it with oil then wipe it off when you take it down for cleaning. This will leave a good enough film to help protect.

View attachment 1335143

View attachment 1335143
View attachment 1335145
Funny, that's the model I have. And that's the fore end that came on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top