Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Norinco SKS Magazine Help

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Walker4God, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Walker4God

Walker4God Kansas New Member

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the forum & for that matter fairly new to foreign rifles. I've shot my fair share of shotguns, handguns, & rifles such as the AR-15. However, I stumbled upon shooting a gem known as the sks & was able to purchase one for myself for a helluva good price The gun is in pristine condition in every aspect but one, someone had removed the 10 rd permanent magazine & what was left was some lousy loose duckbill styled 30 mag. The 30 mag won't even sit properly in the well, I don't know if that's because I'm missing something or need to insert it in a particular way, but I've tried pretty much all I can. I would really like to go to the 10 rd permanent mag that was on the SKS i tested out, not sure if anyone on here might A) know a good place to buy one & what the price is on it & B) how to install the permanent mag back on the gun. Thanks for any help i can get :)

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's three of them on Gunbroker right now. If you don't know what Gunbroker is, it's an auction website for guns and parts, kind of like an e-bay for firearms. The going bid right now is $19 ea.

3. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Look for a factory 20 round permanent magazine. The ones I have seen have a star stamped into the side.

4. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

The detachable duckbill magazines for SKS's are all junk. Once you find an original magazine, use that duckbill for target practice. 10 round stripper clips are the way to go with an SKS.

5. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

or you could go with a tapco 20 round mag , thay have a lot of good reviews

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have one, original chinese kit.. saving it in case I come upon an SKS

Mongo1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

MatTo install the stock 10 round mag, put the safety on then push the release located behind the trigger guard. Pull the trigger group out. Put the stock mag back in. You my have to pull the bolt back and release at this point. Then put the trigger group in front first. Turn the rifle upside down on a mat. Push the trigger guard downuntil it locks in place. I am sure a video is available on youtube if you need it.

8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

ten round mags are the best way to go imho, they are available at most internet sellers for about 30 bucks if you don't care for the auction route.

btw with the 30 round mag installed and no other modifications you are in violation of section 922r.

9. brentb636

brentb636 Holland, mi Active Member

I recommend simply the 10 round magazine. The 20 round factory mags tend to be junk. I had one, and put the original back in. If you make enough mods to legally have a detachable mag, the 20 round Tapco, with metal baseplate is the best. The factory 10 round mag, with stripper clips is the simplest , most reliable solution for this fine weapon.

Mongo1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

11. Walker4God

Thank you very much & as cheap as i got the gun, that's a great price.....i've always wanted one & after all the reviews ive seen & gun i personally shot...10 rd permanent is the way to go

12. Walker4God

Mongo1 thanks for the advice, when i get the new mag in...that will come in handy

13. Walker4God

also coop44 i was not trying to violate 922r, just happened to be able to get the gun cheap & that's what came with it, the original 10 rd mag was missing & i had purchased this not knowing that, but it was cheap enough i didnt care

14. Walker4God

the previous owner knew jack squiggly.....the gun prolly hadnt been cleaned in his entire use, my first strip of it left my with towels full of sludge, & not the slightly dirty oil sludge....i'm talking cement sludge

15. SomeDude

SomeDude Portland, OR Reclaimer

Speaking of sludge, make sure you take the bolt out and disassemble it completely. Thoroughly clean the firing pin and make sure it has no junk on or around it. Look up "sks slamfire" to see why it is important. I learned the hard way when I got my SKS when my brother was trying to clear a malfunction. Luckily the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction and nobody was hurt, but he had to change his pants after that one.

Regarding the Tapco detachable, that's the only kind I have used so far. They are ok, but (on the Norinco at least) they feed at a funky angle. Since there is no feed ramp into the chamber, the rounds feed straight towards flat space below the chamber. If you ride the bolt release forward slowly you'll see the round get hung up every time. The only way it works is by jamming the round forward where it slides on up into the chamber. During firing this usually works ok, but you are guaranteed a certain amount of failure to feeds. I've recently acquired an original fixed mag which I haven't installed yet
    I believe (somebody correct me if wrong) the difference is how the fixed mag either rests with the top cartridge in a higher position and/or feeds at a better angle for the round to reliably feed into the chamber.

16. Walker4God

SomeDude I tore the baby part when I first got it, still in the process of disassembling the bolt, having to soak it in penetrating oil because the pin that holds the extractor & firing pin in, will nut budge when trying to punch it out because it has been that long since someone cleaned it & I can't wait to install the original mag, just placing the 30 rd duckbill in looked dangerous & I would never have taken the chance with it

17. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

having to soak it in penetrating oil because the pin that holds the extractor & firing pin in, will nut budge when trying to punch it out because it has been that long since someone cleaned it

Friend, be forewarned that soaking the pin may have no effect. Some of them, literally, require a bigger hammer. In fact that is very common. I have had some pins tap out and others that required me to smite them with a three pound machinist's hammer.

If you are required to pound it out I suggest that you use a block of wood, drilled out to accommodate the unevenness of the bolt, or an ingot of dead soft (pure) lead, my favorite: to back the bolt. Have a couple of spare curse words on standby and then smite away!

18. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The chinese 20 rder would be very expensive today but they are as reliable as the 10 rders

SinoSoviet_Paratrooper-2.jpg

19. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I wasn't busting your chops over it, just warning you.

20. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

The last 20 round mag sold for $75 at the Rickreall gunshow June 2013. There is a market for these if an American company would mfg them.