JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted some opinions on a Norinco Pre-ban AK-47 84S before I buy it. It is brand new unfired, comes with 3 mags, cleaning kit, bayonet, and paperwork in original box. What's a fair price for this and are they any good? I've never owned a Chinese made AK before just Romanian ones. Any Info would appreciated. Thanks.

I owned one, sorry I sold it. Thing was accurate ymmv but mine could group 1-2 moa with iron sights. Good workmanship, nice finish. Values are dropping because of ban is gone so they are more of a collectible now whereas most people who want an AK just want an AK to shoot. Nice rifle but some of the Arsenals are as good or better. The wood for the buttstock is not very strong, I broke the stock just trying to remove it. The wood actually looked like a sponge on the inside, little air holes all over. If you want an AK that was made as one piece and not imported as parts then assembled yadda yadda... The Norincos are great rifles but they are not the be all and end all of AK's.

If the AK-84S is new in box, then its for a collector not a shooter. If you shoot it, you decrease its value. If you don't shoot it, its no fun IMHO. Wish you luck, as for me I'm trying to save up for an Arsenal Saiga...:)

Values are dropping because of ban is gone so they are more of a collectible now whereas most people who want an AK just want an AK to shoot.

Actually, the relevant ban, the 1989 ban, is still in affect in the form of 922 compliance. This rifle is still considered a 'pre-ban', is 100% foreign built and is very collectable because of that fact.

I agree that the prices on these pre-ban rifles are still WAY down from where they were a year or two ago, but also still way above the average Frankenrifle AK out there. If you can get it for under $1,000 you are doing good. As said above, firing it will drop its value immediately, as well as 'accessorizing' it with a plastic stock, etc.

Keith

It is still a pre-ban, but the relevance of that is all but gone. They were cheap (& cheaply made) when new and were not well finished like the Valmet, Galil, Yugo, Hungarian or Chinese Poly Tech AK47 type rifles. I would not pay more than $700 for a like new Norinco now. I had many of them during the 90’s when they were pretty much the only readily available & affordable pre-ban AKs on the market. Now can buy a real Russian made AK for the same money now from Arsenal, Inc. Believe me, we are actually living in the better days for military type semi-autos than the good old “pre-ban” days. Sure, we cannot get my beloved HKs anymore (thanks George the 1st), but cheep AKs are everywhere. Now ammo prices are not where they used to be during the 80’s & 90’s, but I remember the surplus dry 70’s when you had to buy commercial ammo to feed you AR….ouch.

I have one, bought it used. Love having an AK that shoots .223. Kinda hard to find mags, I buy Promags from Mississippi Auto Arms. They ttake a little bit of filing to make work, but once fitted they work great!

Greg

Good luck on finding a like new Norinco for $700.

84s are going for $1100-$1500 and aren't going to come down much more due to limited availability compared to other AK variants.

I saw one for $1100 a month ago, $1200 a week ago, and a Polytech milled for $1700 today.

Agreed. The 1989 ban is still in effect. Anything made after that is either neutered with a butthole stock and no muzzle device or is a mixmaster of US and foreign components, including the converted Saigas Arsenal is selling (not that those are bad, I love my converted Saiga).

Keith

The only problem I have with the 84s is that .223 AK' are not standard in magazines like the 7.62x39 rifles are. Mags are a pain and few and far between.

If you are going to buy it as a collector, good deal. If you want a shooter buy a saiga .223 and have an AK smith convert it to an underfolder.

my 2/10's of a U.S. Dollar

SF-

The only problem I have with the 84s is that .223 AK' are not standard in magazines like the 7.62x39 rifles are. Mags are a pain and few and far between.

If you are going to buy it as a collector, good deal. If you want a shooter buy a saiga .223 and have an AK smith convert it to an underfolder.

my 2/10's of a U.S. Dollar

SF-

Mississippi Auto Arms sells 30 round Promags for $17.99, or 13 if you buy more than 5. That's what I have and they work great with a little filing. The Bulgarian waffle mags from K-Var are supposed to work well too, although I haven't trieed any.

Greg

Mississippi Auto Arms sells 30 round Promags for $17.99, or 13 if you buy more than 5. That's what I have and they work great with a little filing. The Bulgarian waffle mags from K-Var are supposed to work well too, although I haven't trieed any.

Greg

Will have to check into that, like I said earlier it is brand new unfired. Magazines are still wrapped in original wrapper. Thanks