Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NorCal transplant to Oregon with Cal CCW to Or CCW?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tlc, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Tlc

Tlc Grants Pass New Member

Wondering if there is a lot of dramas like needing to sit though the oh so educational training sessions land relearn how to handle my weapons (again), if I can bring in what was a valid California CCW yesterday to the sherif pay my fees and re-shoot a nice tight group to recalibrate each if my three carry weapons to Oregon soil.

Does Oregon accept a valid (sort of) CCW as proof of completion of training etc?

Thanks.

Teresa

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Spend a Saturday taking the CCW course, get your certificate, visit the County Sheriff's office, pay your $60 and get fingerprinted, wait two weeks for your car to arrive in the mail.

You can call the Sheriff's department and ask, but I would guess that anything you did in California is not valid in Oregon, although I know it is much more intensive.

Call them, as I have been wrong before.

3. Tlc

Thanks. Yes Cali wants to know a lot. But to be fair I got mine in record time, so I'm not whining.

4. stavros4570

stavros4570 eugene,or. Member

Welcome! You should think about open carry. Lets everyone know where you stand. Good luck!

5. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Oregon only requires a one hour "handgun safety" class. No tests. Ask you Sheriff if your California CCW is sufficient to prove your firearm proficiency.

6. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

You have to reside here 90 days first.

NWMarc and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Forgot about the residency requirement... Nice catch Mongo!! :thumbup:

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any delay for U.S. citizens.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Tlc

So now I'm a bit confused. 90 days or six months... the quote is kind of hard to read with the random editing. I'm relocating from NorCal and believe me it's nearly Oregon where I was living, we used to call it Extremely Northern California, and Upper Northern California - to distinguish it from 'middle' Cali that calls themselves 'northern' when they are in the middle of the dang state. Still, I have indeed crossed the line of no return.

So, clarification: I have to reside for a specific period, take another weapons for idiots class, and show proof of technique at the range with all three carry weapons, as well as pay X amount in cash to the Sherriff and X amount in check to someone else? Have I got this right?

See I have this thing about having my weapon on me. I don't feel right anymore when its not with me. So, maybe I'll just turn into a mole or something until I qualify residency wise or something.

T

10. Eugenian

Eugenian United States New Member

You don't need to show any proof of technique, just take a qualifying course and then apply for your permit.

11. Dunerunner

The Oregon CCW is not carry piece specific like California. You demonstrate proficiency (you hit the target and demonstrate proper safety techniques) during your CCW Class with the weapon you are most comfortable with. Get the certificate and you can carry any Concealed hand gun you wish.

12. Tlc

Zonkers! Won't that be nice. Since well, sometimes Mr. Sauer goes nice with an outfit and certain days it's Mr. Kimber, and other days I just feel like hanging with those Smith & Wesson guys, and still other days I go a little off the beaten track and take a little import with me.

Girls, they just can't stick with one thing if given choices huh?

Actually it's most always a little Sig Sauer .380. But then it will take care of business if business needs taking care of.

Thanks, and like these laws better than Cali much better.

13. Mongo1

When you get it done, you should be VERY happy, being a former resident of the peoples republic of kalifornia!

14. sobe911

sobe911 Portland Member

Komiefornia*

Mongo1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

I love Ory-gun, I would never live in Cali again. Where are you from? I migrated from Eureka in 98. Yeah I know lol that's why I left haha.

16. sobe911

sobe911 Portland Member

I am from the Bay Area originally :bluelaugh:

17. Mongo1

TLC would you care to post a picture?

18. Tlc

I'm heading from e-town as well. Not sure where the pic posting part is here.

19. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

I'm from about 30 miles south of where I live in Oregon. Now THAT'S Northern CA!

Seeing as you are in Grants Pass, where there are very few law enforcement, and almost everyone is armed, you might want to hole up for a while.....;)

20. Tlc

That's what I hear.