JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wondering if there is a lot of dramas like needing to sit though the oh so educational training sessions land relearn how to handle my weapons (again), if I can bring in what was a valid California CCW yesterday to the sherif pay my fees and re-shoot a nice tight group to recalibrate each if my three carry weapons to Oregon soil.

Does Oregon accept a valid (sort of) CCW as proof of completion of training etc?

Thanks.

Teresa

Spend a Saturday taking the CCW course, get your certificate, visit the County Sheriff's office, pay your $60 and get fingerprinted, wait two weeks for your car to arrive in the mail.

You can call the Sheriff's department and ask, but I would guess that anything you did in California is not valid in Oregon, although I know it is much more intensive.

Call them, as I have been wrong before.

You have to reside here 90 days first.
There shouldn't be any delay for U.S. citizens.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq
I’ve been told by my sheriff that I have to live in my county for six months before I can apply for a concealed handgun license. Is this true?

Yes, this is true if your are a “legal resident alien.” Otherwise it’s another crock. Once again what we are facing are law enforcement agents who cannot read the law. Here’s what it says:

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability. (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person’s application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the Immigration and Naturalization Service the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

Ok, that’s A and B. Two different things. Oddly when they first wrote this section they didn’t make that distinction. We complained and said this would be mistakenly applied to US Citizens. Typically, the “gun lobby” disagreed. Fortunately, the committee hearing the bill agreed with us and made it as clear as they could. But still these boneheads can’t get it right.
We have gotten Marion County to back down on this. We’ll go after the others one at a time.

So now I'm a bit confused. 90 days or six months... the quote is kind of hard to read with the random editing. I'm relocating from NorCal and believe me it's nearly Oregon where I was living, we used to call it Extremely Northern California, and Upper Northern California - to distinguish it from 'middle' Cali that calls themselves 'northern' when they are in the middle of the dang state. Still, I have indeed crossed the line of no return.

So, clarification: I have to reside for a specific period, take another weapons for idiots class, and show proof of technique at the range with all three carry weapons, as well as pay X amount in cash to the Sherriff and X amount in check to someone else? Have I got this right?

See I have this thing about having my weapon on me. I don't feel right anymore when its not with me. So, maybe I'll just turn into a mole or something until I qualify residency wise or something.

T

The Oregon CCW is not carry piece specific like California. You demonstrate proficiency (you hit the target and demonstrate proper safety techniques) during your CCW Class with the weapon you are most comfortable with. Get the certificate and you can carry any Concealed hand gun you wish.

Zonkers! Won't that be nice. Since well, sometimes Mr. Sauer goes nice with an outfit and certain days it's Mr. Kimber, and other days I just feel like hanging with those Smith & Wesson guys, and still other days I go a little off the beaten track and take a little import with me.

Girls, they just can't stick with one thing if given choices huh?

Actually it's most always a little Sig Sauer .380. But then it will take care of business if business needs taking care of.

Thanks, and like these laws better than Cali much better.

it's nearly Oregon where I was living, we used to call it Extremely Northern California, and Upper Northern California - to distinguish it from 'middle' Cali that calls themselves 'northern' when they are in the middle of the dang state. the Sherriff and X amount in check to someone else? Have I got this right?

See I have this thing about having my weapon on me. I don't feel right anymore when its not with me. So, maybe I'll just turn into a mole or something until I qualify residency wise or something.

T

I'm from about 30 miles south of where I live in Oregon. Now THAT'S Northern CA!

Seeing as you are in Grants Pass, where there are very few law enforcement, and almost everyone is armed, you might want to hole up for a while.....;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top