Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Noob thread, questions about a build and other stuff...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by infeKteDx, Jul 21, 2015.

1. infeKteDx

infeKteDx Bellevue New Member

Hey guys, recently found this forum - pretty awesome, just wanted to say thanks for being here to help people like me!

To start: I know there's new law's in WA as of Dec 2014 I think, that now require you to transfer guns on paper to other owners. However, I went into a gun shop in Bellevue, to sell my girlfriend my pistol - and they told us they don't know how to do the transfer or that they aren't allowed. So...were they BS'ing me, or would you guys know where I could do this at ?

Next: I want to sell my Sig Sauer M400 5.56 and build a 300 blackout AR pistol. I have a 300 blackout bolt action rifle, that I absolutely love shooting.

I've never built a gun before - however, in the gun shop here in Bellevue, everything seems insanely overpriced. They have a 300 blackout pistol upper for like $650. However, I noticed on Bud's gunshop online, I can get a CMMG MK4 in 300 black for like $850! Is it just because everything is generally cheaper online, or should I go into the store and ask them the reason behind the price? (maybe it has a super nice barrel on it or something?)

On top of that, I had two other question for those with AR pistols. What barrel size would work best for the 300 blackout? I was thinking 8" like the CMMG has, but I've read a few sites that suggest 9" is the sweet spot for the 300 black. Just wanted some opinions on here. Other question - the buffer tube. (I initially asked a question about shouldering the buffer tube, but I understand this is a very controversial issue, and I will not go into buying this weapon with the intention to shoulder it. I will however be interested in resting my cheek on the buffer tube - so I'm assuming I'll want some kind of padding there)

Thank you to anyone who can give me some insight on the above items. I shoot every now and again, but it's something I'm interested in getting into more.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Joe Link likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Yes there is a new law that requires you to go thru an ffl to do a background check to transfer guns. (Unless you gave your girlfriemd the gun before Nov. 2014, then at that point face to face sales were legal...).

If the shop didn't know how to do a federal backgroun check, run away an never go back there!

Retail shop prices are almost always higher then online sales. You can get some personal help though in a retail shop.

I'll let someone else address the 300blk questions.

decklin and infeKteDx like this.
  3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The local gun shops will always have higher prices since they have a store to run and pay employees to be available and they also usually do not have millions of dollars of inventory for high turn over.

I buy both online and from some local stores. I have found several local stores that have good people running them, know what they are talking about, and will help find usual requests. To me, that is worth giving them business.

If I order online, I use a FFL that is not a gun shop to do the transfer so Im not wasting their time either.

also, when considering online prices, remember that you are also going to pay 3% extra to use a credit card, plus shipping, plus FFL transfer fee, plus background check. So the price might not be much different in the end.

So my advice is to visit several local shops and chat with the people there. If they are friendly and know their stuff, spend a little more since it will come back to help you down the line when you need their help getting something done.

4. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

The law requires a transfer/BGC.
    The law does not obligate the shop to do it though.
    They were probably lying. Why would they want to to help you? It's cuts into their time and money and they don't get a sale out of it. They get stuck with paperwork, a gun on their books, and whatever else I may be forgetting.
    You'll need to make some phone calls to find out which shops will do the transfer.
    Good luck.

5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For a first time builder I would recommend buying an upper already built and assembling a lower with parts found online.
    I have a like new pistol tube that I would sell cheap.
    I only used it a couple of times while I was waiting for my SBR tax stamp to arrive.
    Go buy a stripped lower and a quality LPK to start and go watch some YouTube video's on how to assemble it.
    You can always swap out the generic LPK trigger for a better one later on.

IronMonster likes this.
  6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Oh boy.
    All they need to do is in their book on the side for guns coming in they write your name and address and then on the side of the book that is for guns going out,they write her in.
    Then call nics
    Always check Red Barn Armory and Palmetto State Armory on line before you buy any AR parts.
    My friend who reads better than me and investigates things more than me,read that the 300blk was designed for a 8.5in barrel and a suppressor.So 9in may be quite nice
    Just don't shoulder the pistol while defending yourself in public
    I get in trouble for legal advice I give on here,but I wouldn't worry about all the buffer tube and brace BS.Put what you want on the pistol and keep it safe (just not a rifle stock or a vertical grip)

7. infeKteDx

Thanks for all the info guys...am I able to build the pistol myself and then bring it in, or does an FFL have to build it for you?

8. mjbskwim

Don't know where you think you need to bring it to
    You have done everything necessary when you picked up the lower from the FFL
    Or if you bought the lower from a private party before the communist law took effect
    Build it yourself and shoot it

9. infeKteDx

haha sorry for the confusion - I mean, if I were to order the upper and lower online, throw them together, I would still have to go into an FFL and have the pistol registered correct? Sorry >.<

10. mjbskwim

Nope,you will take care of everything when you pick up the lower. The lower is the firearm,the rest you can have delivered to your house
    They will sell it to you as an "other". Some suggest you do it as a pistol but there is absolutely no reason to do this. It is a virgin lower,that's all
    Not really a 'registration' in Washington anyway,and I think only a couple states you would have to take the gun to the FFL as a pistol.
    But I don't care what states and I won't be visiting NY, Connecticut,CA,NJ,Mass,the eastern seaboard,etc

11. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

The only part that needs to go through the FFL is the stripped lower since it has a serial number engraved into it. The only thing you need to have shipped to the FFL is the lower; all of the other pieces can be sent directly to your home.

I just assembled two rifle kits on a stripped lower; the first took about 60 minutes, the second about 20. I went on line and printed several versions of the instructions so I could read and reread and look at the pictures.

12. infeKteDx

Awesome, good to know, Thank you!

13. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

If you are going to assemble the lower, do yourself a favor and get a set of longer, smaller diameter punches, a fine pointed pair of needle nose pliers and an inexpensive gunsmithing hammer (one that has steel, plastic, and brass screw in heads). Those three items will save you a lot of frustration and some of the finish on your lower. :)

blackadder likes this.
  14. jbett98

Harbor Freight is your friend for most of the tools you'll need.
    A real nifty tool is a set of roll pin starter punches.
    The ends are hollow and they help hold the roll pins as you start to drift them part way in.
    You then finish setting the roll pins with a roll pin punch. They have a little tit on the end, and they allow you to drift the roll pin flush without marring up your new lower receiver.
    Watch a bunch of video's, because when you first open an LPK kit, all those little parts will be confusing as some are a lot alike.

mjbskwim likes this.
  15. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I would add getting an AR wrench for the castle nut on the buffer tube and a couple of other reasons

blackadder likes this.
  16. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

I'm buying parts, right now. I chose surplusammo.com because its local. I went to the retail store in Tacoma for the lower. Did the FFL/NICS there, in the store. I ordered the upper, and a few accessories, from the web site. That order is on the brown truck as I type.

17. infeKteDx

Any recommendations on where I can find an 8"-9" 300 blackout upper? Most I'm finding online are either 10.5" or are 8.5" with a cruddy circular rail...I suppose I could always get a rail seperately

18. jbett98

ba-logo.png

9" .300 Blackout Pistol Length Barrel, Modern Series

$160.00

• Home
    • 9" .300 Blackout Pistol Length Barrel, Modern Series

babl300003m-8-5-inch-300-blackout-drp-cmv-barrel-1_1.jpg

19. infeKteDx

I've never installed the gas line before - a little worried about that part if I buy the upper and barrel separate.

20. jbett98

It takes a special tool and a quality ft. lbs. torque wrench, plus an armorers block for when you put it into a vise.
    You might want to find someone near you that's got the tools and has successfully built a few.