Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Noob Questions for new gun club member (TCGC)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Burt Gummer, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Just joined the Tri County Gun Club and I have a few questions now, and probably a lot more later.

First, a question Paris Hilton might ask - :paranoid: - why are all the targets I saw at the different ranges all the same, standard, tan/black ring type? Every sporting good store sells these bright orange/green targets that define bullet hits better than standard paper (supposedly).

Being a new kid on the block I don't want my target board to look like an 80s disco while everyone else is using tan paper; or do I? :laugh:

Second, if you are the only person shooting on a range - I am thinking specifically the indoor .22 range, maybe at 4am - do you still have to follow range rules regarding flags, rapid fire, etc? I guess I could, seems kind of strange though. I have no problem following safety rules, just need to know if they apply 100% of the time, even if I am alone.

Third, when the outdoor ranges have the sign out that says closed during normal range hours should I assume that means there is some kind of competition or class going on? For instance, sign says closed, but I hear shooting inside, am I allowed to go inside as a quiet observer?

More noob questions to follow. At the orientation everyone was fried from waiting 4-5 hours to get processed. No one seemed in the mood for dumb questions. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. Burt Gummer

Another unrelated question - why do people put a pencil, or a shell, etc in front of the trigger when selling a gun/rifle? Seems like something in front of the trigger would be a bad thing. Does it just indicate the seller has fully checked to see that the gun is unloaded? Thanks.

3. Generator

Generator Bend Member

Pencil in front of the trigger: it props up the gun so it looks nicer than taking pictures of it flat.

4. SigOryGunner

SigOryGunner So. Oregon New Member

Can't say I've been to Tri County Gun Club, but at the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club we use NRA 20 yd. slow fire pistol targets, the first two are covered in our $2 range fee and after that they are $.25. If you want you can and I do use shoot and see targets. They are excellent and give you immediate feedback without the hassle of glasses or a spotting scope. Generally speaking it's cheaper for the range to use paper targets then the colored targets, just a little way to help keep membership and range fees down. Have fun and be safe.

SigOryGunner

5. 4dogs

4dogs 3 miles from the range Active Member

At ARPC, bring and put up your own targets. And I always follow range rules, even if I'm the only one there.

FWIW, I went out early one morning to chrony some loads. There was a fellow already there, doing the same; we were the only ones on the main range. To show me how to fix a minor problem with the club's chrony, he walked out onto the range without engaging the warning lights/signal. When the same problem came up after he left, I hit the button and took the four steps out to it. Better safe than sorry!

6. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

You can use whatever paper target you want.

You have to follow all of the rules all of the time....even when you are alone.

A range could be closed for a number of reasons. It is probably best to ask an RSO.

http://tcgc.org/rangerules09.pdf

7. Burt Gummer

Thanks guys.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

vE HAVE VAYS OF NOWING IF YOU ARE ZE GOOD RULER FOLLOWER OR NOT.
    I always try to follow the protocols in place even when I( am alone. One set of rules to follow. easier to remember.

9. MrB+

MrB+ Portland area Member

Welcome aboard!

The black-on-tan are the cheap ones. They sell one flavor in the clubhouse, but I've seen other similar. Paper targets, in general, are okay. Other types require approval. The fluorescent green ones are fine and frequently used. But at two bucks a piece !?! I bought a packet of those once, but sheesh, Bubbaloo. On Sunday, my kid and I tried what I'd seen a guy use the week before -- brought a pad of 18x24 paper from office depot, a pad of bright green post-it notes and a felt pen. Made perfectly serviceable targets. My kid drew zombie outlines on his.

Won't get any grief from me...
    I think the requirement for deliberate, aimed fire (no rapid fire, no holster draw, etc) is to protect other shooters, yourself, and the range. 'No one else there' covers #1. If you want to do rapid fire, get the IPSC sticker on your badge and head down to the action pits.

Imagine you're the only one there. You skip the flags and head down to business end. Next, I show up, way cool, I'm the only one there...

Yeah, there's no lights/flags on the indoor range. If there's no one there, there's no one to make eye contact with and agree that the range is 'cold.' I do still insert chamber flags, etc, even if I'm the only one there.
    If it's any sort of league or match play, grab your ears and head in. Everyone I've talked to is happy to see you, hoping to convince you that they've got the best fun going and you otter join in. I stuck my head into one bay at the action pits one day a couple weekends back and decided it was a LE session. I hung back and watched for a few minutes, but decided they weren't any more interesting than the IPSC match going on. Less, actually.

MrB+

10. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

There are a couple reasons that a range could be closed during normal operation.. This refers specifically to the action pits and the 200/300 and 600yrd ranges.. when the 600yrd range is ope the 200/300 range is closed because the 600yrd fires directly over those ranges. The Pits are often closed to general members if one of the local LE agencies is conducting training down there, and they are using all of the bays(rarely happens but I have seen it from time to time) Other than that if there is a match (either IPSC or Cowboy) head down to the pits and check it out there are alot of great people to meet and talk to a the average match...

As to your other questions.. Range rules apply all the time everytime..

11. Burt Gummer

Gunner,

It felt weird putting the chamber flag in when I was alone on the .22 range at first, but I have to agree about following the rules all the time. Then doing things right becomes a habit. That worked out well because an older range officer(?) came in to replace the target wooden slates. He noticed I had all my ducks in order. If I would have been goofing around on my first day there it wouldn't have been too impressive.

I will go out check out some of the competitions as an observer. The steel challenge looks like it would be a blast and more my speed.

When you have 3-4 pistols in one case you should only take them out of the case/bag only when you are up at the firing line? - vs pulling one out a walking it up to the shooting tables? The bag is kind of bulky and in the way. If I lay out the guns, barrel forward, is leaving barrel flags in the idle guns while I am firing my active gun the correct thing to do?

I'll probably be out there after 8pm starting to sight in .22 rifles tomorrow night. An M&P-22, Calico, and 10/22. My work draws me away at all hours so it is a little hit and miss. Excited about it. Finally I have a hobby worth looking forward to vs vegging in front of a TV on my downtime.

12. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

I generally take several pistols when I go to shoot, I tend to grab a piece of the carpet there on the bench, Unload all of them while the line is hot, put chamber flags in each, shoot what I want then clear it replace the flag then move on to the next one.

13. Burt Gummer

Met up with a group of guys shooting super-accurate .22 rifles at the indoor range. Where they have to hit the size of pencil eraser, holding the rifle freehand. I never knew something like that existed. One guy had a .22 that looked like something out of a Terminator movie that is around $3700. All aluminum, German made; started with an "A". Others had WWII era rifles.

Apparently, one of the female range officers does that; she explained it all, showed me targets -- such nice people out there.

To be honest, I wasn't blown away when I thought they were doing that with a rifle resting on a stand/bench, but freehand! Still amazed. Simply mind blowing.