JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, noob question here. Is it okay for Oregon residents to bring their guns to Washington and shoot them at a range?

I remember reading that it is allowed but I would have to leave the magazines unloaded and/or away from the gun itself. The reason I ask is that I want to go shooting with my family over in the tri-cities area and bring my own toys. When I told my co-worker about this, he told to not get caught as I would be committing a felony by taking my guns across state lines.

I've done my due diligence but I cannot seem to find the websites that states the laws regarding this topic and my co-worker is betting the farm that he is correct. I've read on this forum about members who are Oregon residents and shoot their guns at the English Pit in Vancouver, Washington. If anyone can let me know the correct laws regarding this situation please chime in and provide your knowledge or 2 cents. Thank you in advance :)

You are correct.

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

That is Federal law about transporting firearms quoted above and is great info to have.

In WA the only law is that they have to be unloaded (unless it is a handgun and you have a WA approved permit). There is no law on how or where the firearm/ammo has to be stored.

Now if your friend was talking about selling guns across state lines he is correct. But you are allowed to take your property anywhere it is legal to have. Also in WA we are only legally allowed to have 3 of the 6 NFA items. OR residents can NOT bring MG, SBS, or SBR into WA legally to shoot since they are not legal in WA.

so lets say you have a WA CPL and a OR CHL... and you are crossing the WA/OR border while carrying...

okay by both state laws but technically a no-no at the federal level?

so lets say you have a WA CPL and a OR CHL... and you are crossing the WA/OR border while carrying...

okay by both state laws but technically a no-no at the federal level?

Perfectly legal still. What Federal laws says IF you follow Federal law no matter where you go using that method is legal. Say you are on your way from OR to AZ and pass though CA on your trip. CA has some awful laws and you take your AR-15 with you. Normally that would be illegal in CA, but by following Federal law you can legally pass though CA with it.

Ah so the federal law is designed more to provide protection against more restrictive state laws, not necessarily prohibiting transportation methods that are legal between two specific states. (i.e. concealed carry of a pistol with CPL/CHL)

i think i got it now, thx!

Key word in 926A is notwithstanding. It basically means you the local laws, while passing through, can not be enforced by the local authorities provided you are legal to possess the firearm in the place you left and the place of your destination. Stopping for the night in Ca. with an ar15 that is not Ca. compliant has been said by many to be unlawful because now you have taken up temporary residence.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top