Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

non toxic clp

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by JO JO, Sep 4, 2014.

1. JO JO

JO JO Vancouver WA Active Member

which is a better non toxic clp
    weapons shield or ballistol

2. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ballistol isn't non-toxic - i think it states it, but the contents are separately listed as toxic, it's petro based....

I think you also have to use it regularly, it's a little thin. Weaponshield i *think* has shown poor longevity as a barrier protectant in tests.

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

"Non toxic" is a scam and has been since the 50's. They've been playing that card via advertisements from before my father was a kid.

The body can put up with a tremendous amount of both acute and chronic exposure.

That being said, Ballistol among others.

4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

5. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I think the least toxic is Ballistol

6. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

NoFlinch, rick benjamin and WAYNO like this.
  7. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

People say I look young for my age, but my hands....... They look and feel like a man of 1oo!
    When I shake hands I'm always surprised when some guys hands are soft and uncallused. Like a woman.

Years of gasoline, diesel, grease, brake fluids, adhesives, solvents you name it! Too late for me to worry about absorbing a little toxin into my body at this stage.

You younger guys might want to think about it.

cooper and Stomper like this.
  8. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think you mean, FrogLube is?

9. rick benjamin

Only two choices to vote, chose Ballistol.
    My post #4 was to list MSDS for all gun stuff I could think of.
    Frog Lube is impressive for it's benign MSDS, but I don't use it.

I use:
    EEZOX
    Hoppe's No. 9
    Break-Free CLP
    Mil LSA
    Mil RBC
    3-in-1 oil
    For black powder guns I use warm water with liquid dish soap
    Leave out in the sun till dry. No Sun, put in oven at lowest set-point till dry.

10. SIG383

SIG383 Graham, WA Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you don't use froglube? I've never tried it myself so was wondering. I've been a big fan of MPro-7 for quite a few years. Good stuff and great customer service!

11. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

I love my WeaponShield :)

12. JO JO

thanks for all the input maybe I will order a small bottle of WeaponShield to try

13. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

14. rick benjamin

Haven't used Froglube because What I use works for me.
    EEZOX New on the market- trying it out.
    Hoppe's No. 9 Used for 40+years, and Dad before me. Cuts copper bore fouling, turns it to green sludge.
    Break-Free CLP Younger jarheads swear by it. Use it for all-purpose...
    Mil LSA LSA and RBC are what I was told to use back in the day, Gunny knew best.
    Mil RBC
    3-in-1 oil Lightweight machine lubricant, works everywhere.
    WD-40 I use it to hose-out gunk in outta-the-way places.
    Lead wipe-away No longer available, still have a couple sheets. Cut into patch size, swab the bore, turns lead into grey paste. Set the gun away for a few weeks, then view the bore. "Wires" of lead springing away from grooves. Cleaned my Ruger Blackhawk .45LC bowling pin gun barrel to like new! Sure worked nice!

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I used RBC and LSA at first when in the Army, then BreakFree CLP came into the inventory in the mid/late 80's and we used that exclusively.

Used it in the Latin American jungles, and all over the European theater, never looked back.

16. TacticalDragQueen

TacticalDragQueen E.WA Member

Froglubealltheguns!! It smells pretty and is magic. My roomates love when I clean my guns haha

bluesurf likes this.
  17. JO JO

just for info fisherman's marine in delta park is stocking ballistol on the shelf now,

18. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Gunwerkz clp is probably the least toxic but is only slightly better than average in effectiveness.

19. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

The Froglube sure smells good, but "thickens" after awhile. So much so that it was the root cause to my FTF's in my 1911's. It took me a little while to figure that out, but when I stripped that crap off my guns and went back to Ballistol, my guns started loving me again and ran right.

20. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Excess Froglube is supposed to be wiped off. How can that "thicken" after awhile?

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.