JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering this cartridge for my kids first hunting rifle. She won't be taking shots past 100 yards anyway.

Trying to get an idea of what's out there in bolt and single shot.

I'm aware of the cz-527 but it's just a tad steep for what i'm wanting to pay on this rifle.

The only requirements are that it has iron sights and doesn't weigh a ton.

The 7.62 x 39 certainly has it's place but if you are looking for a bolt or SS gun then my opinion would be to opt for a more traditional caliber. Another Idea (unless you are dead set on a bolt or SS rifle) would be a plain Jane Mod 94 Winchester in 30-30. Better ballistics than the 7.62 and the weight and sight requirements are what you are looking for and they can be found reasonably priced. Like the 7.62 the 30-30 has it's place (in a lever gun) but I would not choose either for a bolt or SS rifle as much better calibers are available for those. I guess the only up side to a non-semi 7.62 would be ammo cost for practice but how about the choices for hunting? I have never looked but I suspect SP ammo for the 7.62 might be right up there with the 'traditional' calibers therefore not giving any advantage.

Not too bad an idea. I'm not yet 100% sold on it, but i can't imagine an easier recoiling rifle, that's handy, and cheap ammo for practice for her.

Come hunting season, i'll probably load her up some tsx 130's in .311. At 2,200 fps or so they will do the job admirably for the likely 25-75 yard shot she will take.

Other calibers i've considered are 6.5 swede and 250 savage. If i could find a beater model 99 in 250-3000 with an already cut down stock (i don't have the heart to do it myself ;)) that would be pretty attractive too.

Good idea on the model 94, i'll put that on my short list as well - thanks.

i'll probably load her up some tsx 130's in .311.
I guess I never thought about if you reload or not. Since you do then that makes things easier with your selection as ammo choices will never be an issue. Since you mentioned the classic M99 why not one in .243 Winchester? - my personal favorite rifle caliber but finding one in .243 may be a problem. Also M99s aren't the lightest rifles in the rack as you were mentioning weight will be an issue.

I 2nd the choice of a .243 Winchester, especially in a Savage 99. It's kinda heavy, too. Not so heavy that it's a pain to pack around, but heavy enough that it won't kick very much. Plus, as she gets more experience she won't be limited to close up shots.

I understand the appeal of the 7.62x39 with respect to the availability of cheap
practice ammo, but if you reload you can reduce the ammo costs with other
calibers.

Consider this---there is probably a reason that darned near every manufacturer
makes youth models in 7mm-08 and .243.

Maybe one of these by USSG?

489944.jpg

Not cheap, but cheaper than the CZ.

A Marlin 336 in 30-30 would be a good choice. as it has the easy ability to mount a scope if desired.

A model 94 Carbine is about as light of rifle as you will find thats a repeater. A nice used one can be had for under $400.00 You could also look for a Ranger in one of the pistol calibers like 357 mag or 44 mag.

Or, if you are perhaps extremely, extremely fortunate, you may be able to locate an Australian M10-A2; it's basically an Enfield in 7.62x39 that uses AK mags.

Ruger M77CR comes in 7.62x39.
Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Models

A friend loaned me one to teach my stepdaughter how to shoot. It was fairly accurate. even with cheap ammo.
IIRC it had a 2x7 scope on it.
It was light, didn't recoil much and fun for her to shoot.
Much more so than the 30-30 M94 Win I started teaching her with.

That would be the perfect rifle if it had irons on it. A lot of the single shots are 10+ lbs, that never has made sense to me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top