Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

non-magnetic 762/39

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mrblond, Jul 5, 2016.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Is there a good brand that is not magnetic? I want to take my AK to the range semi soon but I also dont want to start a fire with steel core ammo. I have some Red army and some Wolf and both are magnetic.:eek:

2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Check the classified ads, there was some arsenal brass 7.62x39 recently :)

3. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

4. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Tip: The Herter's "soft point" is steel core (magnetic) - so you would want to avoid it.

5. mrblond

what about Golden tiger, I bought a case of it last week. Never bothered to think about if the bullets were magnetic or not.

6. The Heretic

got a magnet?

7. mrblond

yeah, but it wont be here till Thursday. and to edit, its Tula and not wolf.

8. BlackRyder

BlackRyder Edmonds Well-Known Member

The cheapest brass cased, non magnetic 7.62 I've found so far is the Fiocchi- picked up a few boxes at big 5 for $11 per 20. Still kind of spendsy for ak ammo but if you're looking to shoot at an indoor range options for cheap ammo are very limited.
    If you can find any of the yugo milsurp that stuff is gtg for indoor range shooting, as well. It used to be pretty inexpensive, not so sure about how it's priced these days. (Be warned that it IS corrosive though so make sure you hose the gun down right good after firing that stuff) I found a couple boxes of it in the grandpas gun chest and found it to be accurate and fun to shoot.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Beaverton, OR Member

You could try PPU, aim usually has some.

BlackRyder likes this.
  10. BlackRyder

Golden tiger is steel cased, so it's a no-go as far as magnetism.

11. mrblond

steel case is fine, its the bullet I am worrying about

12. The Heretic

I don't think steel case ammo causes fires, I think it is the projectile the OP was concerned about.

13. BlackRyder

Oh ok I get it. I thought he meant completely non-magnetic. The indoor range near me doesn't allow any any steel in your ammo, including cases. I get no steel core, but I don't really understand why they wouldn't allow steel cased ammo. Probably makes it easier for them to sell all the spent cartridges left BeHind. Anyway, golden tiger bullets should be fine, I am pretty sure they use a solid lead projectile. And they are the most accurate of the cheap Russian stuff, at least in the old SKS I've been playing around with.
    Sellier and bellot 7.62, however, does stick to a magnet, even though it is brass cased, so avoid those.

14. rezi

rezi Everett, WA Member

Golden tiger is bimetal jacketed, magnetic

Yugo surplus m67 is non magnetic and it used to be really cheap
    Red Army 'Elite' is also non magnetic

BlackRyder likes this.
  15. mrblond

Well, I re read over the range rules and I foound nothing about not using magnetic ammo, just no tracer or exploding targets.

I recalled though when I joined there there was a ban of magnetic although now I think it was for AP ammo as my question was for m855 and its steel tip.