JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to know who the member is that has 14,059 posts and has had 68,319" agreements/likes/laughs/sads/good informations/good questions to their posts?

I am sure Andy has more likes now.

1591736141864.png

Yep.

I don't want this place to become sterile either, but if that's what it takes to get it back to a helpful, friendly, gun community and allow us to continue to work toward our goals of promoting firearm ownership and the 2A, so be it.

ifish is a passive-aggressive cesspool that is sterile, and anything but helpful in general. I was glad to find this site after becoming disgusted with what it had become. I hope you can thread the needle and do what needs to be done without turning NWFA into a place like ifish. Honest question: why not just boot the members that are causing the most trouble as part of the solution, instead of making drastic changes that might change the character of what makes this place great?

I'd like to see:

Firearm category forums on top and have the more off-topic stuff at the bottom. The high mileage stuff is mostly random non-firearm stuff and it doesn't need extra advertisement by being on top. I've quit using the "new posts" feature to avoid the clickbait. I'm guilty of falling down the rabbit hole on those forums/threads.

My mid-June resolution is to do gun related things and post about them.

ifish is a passive-aggressive cesspool that is sterile, and anything but helpful in general.

And something else, the great members that used to participate at ifish have all been run off by the puritanistic (sp?) management and minion like moderators. But then, there are many more fisher people that are dicks, and fire arms folks tend to be more polite. I have enough experience with both that I know for a fact, I'm not just pulling that out of my butt.

And something else, the great members that used to participate at ifish have all been run off by the puritanistic (sp?) management and minion like moderators. But then, there are many more fisher people that are dicks, and fire arms folks tend to be more polite. I have enough experience with both that I know for a fact, I'm not just pulling that out of my butt.

You're totally right. Some fisherman, ESPECIALLY PNW fisherman, can be complete azzholes.

The comparisons to iFish are way off. This place is not close too, and even with some cracking down going to be close to iFish. I was kicked off there twice for minor suggestions that maybe dudes should not be snagging fish.

This board has had a run of new posters in the last week to ten days that jump right to the political threads and start shi*ting all over them and getting all adversarial right off the bat. This is my anecdotal observation as I obviously don't have access to the new poster / IP logs. It has been my experience that new posters that are interested in "normal" conversations and interactions are a bit more subdued and don't jump to the political sh*t slinging until at least becoming a bit more established. Not this crop of newbies, they are on here and ready to get it on right off the start.

They remind me of the dudes back in the day who were trying to work off some kind of police pinch by all of a sudden showing up in the bars and t@verns around town and right away start asking where they could buy weed or blow. They usually got shut down pretty quick and got the appropriate label applied.

The mods could always set up a flame room where anything goes. I am on a smack board where politics is usually a pretty hot topic, and we are not nice to each other. Anything goes, foul language, personal insults. There is a core group of about 30 whom have been on various configurations of the board for 15 years, and a rotational group of probably 100 or so. One guy, former radio DJ puts on a radio show on Friday nights with a chat feature. The rule there is no flaming allowed in the chat. Over the years, I have met up with 4 of these guys, even the ones that we call each other idiots, morons and much worst stuff. Great people, the whole flame board is a game, always has been and will be. One guy will say you are a complete fing idiot and moron about that, but let's get a burger and beer when you are in town next.

Smack wars, seeing who can roast the other guy worst is just the game we play. If these newbies that want to get it on in a flame room, I am all for it. I have been flaming and smacking for 15 years. Flaming has to have its own place but what has been created here and what is trying to be accomplished is not going to be compatible with flaming, gas canning and sh*t stirring on sensitive topical threads.

Dear Joe - Owner of the NWF Forum,

I don't care if you leave the like or any other little symbol (Good or bad or a sad story/situation or whatever.) for people to push on or not. Whatever they call that in computer lingo. That goes for the other stuff that one moderator was talking about for 'signs' or awards or whatever.

I CAN understand that it is easier for a person/poster to just push a button than write an actual response to a person's post, thank them for their input, their explanation about a firearm or GUN LAWS, and/or posting a beautiful picture of a gun or a knife.

In fact, you or a moderator, if it is possible to do this EASILY or if a poster can do this themselves which would be even better and EASIER for you or a moderator, would LET an individual member PUSH a THING on their name so NO person can thank them or respond with those little signs - whatever they are called.

That is one thing that I would do for myself and IF I could take any 'sign' off of my name as a member - I would do that too. I do not care if someone likes me or not even though I have THANKED people that I agree with a LOT, an average amount and I even thanked people that I do NOT always agree with but DO in some specific issues/posts/etc. ESPECIALLY when it comes to BOTH party leaders.

You could wipe them (The little signs.) off of my name and I would have NO issue or NO problem with that.

I would like to be able to remove those signs off of all posts as an individual member (ME towards someone else.) where I have thanked, loved, felt sad or whatever to another member even if I have PERSONALLY written a thank you note to them on the public forum for ALL of their hard work in typing and contributions to this forum.

That way, it might be easier for ALL people concerned.

The thing is some of us can't be specifically DEFINED by other people because some of us actually see both sides of a coin or an issue even though we may LEAN more conservative or libertarian BIG TIME yet we do NOT like, trust or support some LEADERS (BOTH sides.) and we sure as heck do NOT trust the crazy criminals who are bent on destroying this nation. ALL leaders or most of them and many other people.

Maybe we get hated or NOT liked by both sides because we hate what we have for CHOICES out there while this country goes down the toilet! Insert flushing noise now! LOL

We HAVE to welcome new shooters and PRO RKBA people and I DO REALIZE that many of them may NOT be as hard core as I AM when it comes to the SECOND because that SHOULD be the law of the land in MY opinion unless you are a VIOLENT criminal or a VIOLENT crazy loon that the LAW says or should SAY that they are not to be allowed on the public sidewalk or on a country road to protect society in general!

I have been chastised for my beliefs about open and conceal carry and TRUE constitutional carry with none of the other salami STUFF added into the federal, state and local LAWS other than the above for VIOLENT criminal and crazy people. I am PRO open carry and got in trouble on some old forums due to that ISSUE too! I am PRO KNIFE too!

Thank YOU for the forum too.

Hard Core RKBA Believer aka Old Lady Cate
PS: Maybe you could put the OFF TOPIC section way on the bottom of the board as one guy mentioned too.

PLEASE keep the KNIFE section and the GUN LAWS section since we need to be informed there.

PS:

Do you want GUN talk? Grin.

I may be getting a NEW RIFLE for my 70th birthday too! I have to make up my mind, TODAY or on Thursday, and get my special order in even if my birthday is not this month.

I am thinking about a CZ LUX 457 bolt action rifle in 22wmr.

It will be like my CZ 455 LUX bolt action rifle in 22lr. I may get something else in firearms too. More on that later on.

Old Lady Cate

PS:

Do you want GUN talk? Grin.

I may be getting a NEW RIFLE for my 70th birthday too! I have to make up my mind, TODAY or on Thursday, and get my special order in even if my birthday is not this month.

I am thinking about a CZ LUX 457 bolt action rifle in 22wmr.

It will be like my CZ 455 LUX bolt action rifle in 22lr. I may get something else in firearms too. More on that later on.

Old Lady Cate

I had a 457 for a short time. (Sold it to fund a .308). If you've had a 452 or 455, then you're going to love some of the changes made to the 457. The adjustable trigger is awesome.

Sigh. Now I want another one again.

Honest question: why not just boot the members that are causing the most trouble as part of the solution, instead of making drastic changes that might change the character of what makes this place great?

The comparisons to iFish are way off. This place is not close too, and even with some cracking down going to be close to iFish. I was kicked off there twice for minor suggestions that maybe dudes should not be snagging fish.

This board has had a run of new posters in the last week to ten days that jump right to the political threads and start shi*ting all over them and getting all adversarial right off the bat. This is my anecdotal observation as I obviously don't have access to the new poster / IP logs. It has been my experience that new posters that are interested in "normal" conversations and interactions are a bit more subdued and don't jump to the political sh*t slinging until at least becoming a bit more established. Not this crop of newbies, they are on here and ready to get it on right off the start.

This is going to be the largest part of the solution. Right now it is extremely hard to get banned from here, even if it's clear someone is here with ill intent. We will continue to ask politely for members to correct their behavior the first time, which is enough 90% of the time. The other 10% want to argue semantics, debate the rules, etc. when it's painfully obvious they're not posting in good faith but rather trying to skirt the rules. To be honest, I don't have the time nor patience these days to argue with those kinds of people. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, to a fault most would say, but I realize that's part of the problem. Others have pointed out that it's generally a handful of people causing the main issues, but I've also seen it from members who've been here many years and even from @Moderators a time or two. Members who are friendly and respectful to others and follow the rules will have nothing to worry about. Members who can't post without being sarcastic, snarky, divisive, negative, etc. will probably want to find somewhere else to hang out. Members posting with even a hint of prejudice based on race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, ethnicity, nationality, etc. will be removed immediately (and believe me, we know when people try to hide it).

Firearm category forums on top and have the more off-topic stuff at the bottom. The high mileage stuff is mostly random non-firearm stuff and it doesn't need extra advertisement by being on top. I've quit using the "new posts" feature to avoid the clickbait. I'm guilty of falling down the rabbit hole on those forums/threads.

Later today we'll be changing the New page and the Discussion Threads sidebar widget to include only firearm-related content. We're considering moving the sections around a bit, but it's not really worth creating a new category at the bottom just for one section (off-topic).

We're definitely not going the iFish route. Even I was banned from there, for life, for something extremely minor (I think I mentioned another website).

The mods could always set up a flame room where anything goes. I am on a smack board where politics is usually a pretty hot topic, and we are not nice to each other. Anything goes, foul language, personal insults. There is a core group of about 30 whom have been on various configurations of the board for 15 years, and a rotational group of probably 100 or so. One guy, former radio DJ puts on a radio show on Friday nights with a chat feature. The rule there is no flaming allowed in the chat. Over the years, I have met up with 4 of these guys, even the ones that we call each other idiots, morons and much worst stuff. Great people, the whole flame board is a game, always has been and will be. One guy will say you are a complete fing idiot and moron about that, but let's get a burger and beer when you are in town next.

Smack wars, seeing who can roast the other guy worst is just the game we play. If these newbies that want to get it on in a flame room, I am all for it. I have been flaming and smacking for 15 years. Flaming has to have its own place but what has been created here and what is trying to be accomplished is not going to be compatible with flaming, gas canning and sh*t stirring on sensitive topical threads.

We've tried this before, the results were disastrous. To be honest, while it can be fun, that kind of content isn't anything I want on NWFA.

Dear Joe - Owner of the NWF Forum,

I don't care if you leave the like or any other little symbol (Good or bad or a sad story/situation or whatever.) for people to push on or not. Whatever they call that in computer lingo. That goes for the other stuff that one moderator was talking about for 'signs' or awards or whatever.

I CAN understand that it is easier for a person/poster to just push a button than write an actual response to a person's post, thank them for their input, their explanation about a firearm or GUN LAWS, and/or posting a beautiful picture of a gun or a knife.

In fact, you or a moderator, if it is possible to do this EASILY or if a poster can do this themselves which would be even better and EASIER for you or a moderator, would LET an individual member PUSH a THING on their name so NO person can thank them or respond with those little signs - whatever they are called.

That is one thing that I would do for myself and IF I could take any 'sign' off of my name as a member - I would do that too. I do not care if someone likes me or not even though I have THANKED people that I agree with a LOT, an average amount and I even thanked people that I do NOT always agree with but DO in some specific issues/posts/etc. ESPECIALLY when it comes to BOTH party leaders.

You could wipe them (The little signs.) off of my name and I would have NO issue or NO problem with that.

I would like to be able to remove those signs off of all posts as an individual member (ME towards someone else.) where I have thanked, loved, felt sad or whatever to another member even if I have PERSONALLY written a thank you note to them on the public forum for ALL of their hard work in typing and contributions to this forum.

That way, it might be easier for ALL people concerned.

The thing is some of us can't be specifically DEFINED by other people because some of us actually see both sides of a coin or an issue even though we may LEAN more conservative or libertarian BIG TIME yet we do NOT like, trust or support some LEADERS (BOTH sides.) and we sure as heck do NOT trust the crazy criminals who are bent on destroying this nation. ALL leaders or most of them and many other people.

Maybe we get hated or NOT liked by both sides because we hate what we have for CHOICES out there while this country goes down the toilet! Insert flushing noise now! LOL

We HAVE to welcome new shooters and PRO RKBA people and I DO REALIZE that many of them may NOT be as hard core as I AM when it comes to the SECOND because that SHOULD be the law of the land in MY opinion unless you are a VIOLENT criminal or a VIOLENT crazy loon that the LAW says or should SAY that they are not to be allowed on the public sidewalk or on a country road to protect society in general!

I have been chastised for my beliefs about open and conceal carry and TRUE constitutional carry with none of the other salami STUFF added into the federal, state and local LAWS other than the above for VIOLENT criminal and crazy people. I am PRO open carry and got in trouble on some old forums due to that ISSUE too! I am PRO KNIFE too!

Thank YOU for the forum too.

Hard Core RKBA Believer aka Old Lady Cate
PS: Maybe you could put the OFF TOPIC section way on the bottom of the board as one guy mentioned too.

PLEASE keep the KNIFE section and the GUN LAWS section since we need to be informed there.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is an option I've considered as well. While they can be fun, more and more I'm seeing them used to reinforce negative aspects of our community.
If people want likes they can go to facebook. They came up with likes as a form of social engineering, like giving a rat a treat for accomplishing a task. The likes system is designed to release endorphins and keep people engaged, mesmerized, suckered, etc.

If people want likes they can go to facebook. They came up with likes as a form of social engineering, like giving a rat a treat for accomplishing a task. The likes system is designed to release endorphins and keep people engaged, mesmerized, suckered, etc.

Exactly.

keep people engaged

I don't think the 'like' system has to necessarily be a bad thing if done in the right spirit. They can make new members feel welcome, and want to stay and be part of the community - which is a good thing. I tend to hit the 'like' button frequently to show appreciation for all of the informative and helpful information that members post.

That's exactly what it does here, too. I personally like it, but if it's causing problems we need to look into that.

I don't think the 'like' system has to necessarily be a bad thing if done in the right spirit. They can make new members feel welcome, and want to stay and be part of the community - which is a good thing. I tend to hit the 'like' button frequently to show appreciation for all of the informative and helpful information that members post.

This ^^ is what I'm talking about. And I don't see people feeding rats? The "Rats" tend to have much less "likes" than valued, contributing members.

That's exactly what it does here, too. I personally like it, but if it's causing problems we need to look into that.

I suggest you see if there's a way to erase the "Likes" just for those members that think we're feeding rats so they don't need to see them?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top