Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

(((Non Ethanol Premium))) @ Dave's Palisades

Discussion in 'Dave's Palisades Auto Repair' started by SDR, Jul 21, 2012.

1. SDR

SDR Clackamas County, Oregon Silver Vendor Silver Vendor

After Sunday 7/22/2012 we will have Non Ethanol Premium for sale to the public ...
    This is to help with MPG and help with the corrosive effect of E10 Ethanol fuel... Non Ethanol Premium is a Much better fuel for Bikes, Boats , yard and garden equipment and older vehicles ...

My personal tests in a 92 Chevy PU, 91 Toyota Corolla and Yamaha TT500, Honda XR 500 and a Yamaha 660 grizzly... - Faster starts , Crispier throttle response the 92 Chevy received 6 miles to the gallon better ... the Toyota already was getting 30 MPG but jumped to 34 in addition my wife admitted she drove it faster because it felt better ... :thumbup: ...

Non Ethanol Premium will be at a higher cost, Feel free to get a tank full and test for yourself ... To give the fuel a fair test topping off with Non Ethanol Premium with a existing 1/2 or a 1/4 tank will not be as effective as the second tank that would have less % of the E10 in it ...

I would like to hear back from anyone sampling this fuel, Good or bad I would like the input ...

Thank You

This was a interesting find ...

Fuel type also affects mileage. Most gasoline in the U.S. today is 8-10 percent ethanol, but the EPA does its tests with 100 percent gasoline in the tank. The use of ethanol to increase the amount of oxygen in gasoline for better combustion can reduce fuel efficiency by around 6 percent all by itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ethanol is about 29.8 kJ/gram combusted

octane is about 44.2 kJ/gram combusted

but ethanol is denser and because fuel efficiency for liquids is based on volumetric rates not mass rates it comes out to

ethanol is 23.5 kJ/mL

octane is about 31.2 kJ/mL
    that is 75% the fuel density

so that 15% ethanol is 25% less fuel rich then pure gasoline.

so bottom line is that 15% ethanol fuel is 96% as energy rich as 100% gasoline by volume

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info - http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_problems_damage.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266785,00.html

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/file/Ethanol 411/Ethanol -- The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.pdf

http://www.marksmarineinc.com/service/Ethanol_FAQ.aspx

jpg-17.jpg

Scrammer and (deleted member) like this.
  2. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I noticed it shortly after I bought my last vehicle and they switched over to ethanol crap at all the stations in my area - much worse gas mileage.

Thanks EPA and the USDA or whoever gives out all the subsidies to corn farmers!

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Next time I'm in the area I plan on trying a tank in the Z4 or the Scout, whichever I'm driving at the time. It's great to hear you're offering this!

4. Blammo

Blammo Lk. Stevens Wa. New Member

You can search for the website puregas.org and find ethanol free gas stations near you or across the country. I use quite a bit of it in my bikes, especially if they're not going to be run for any length of time. Ethanol does horrible things to your fuel system if it just sits.

5. seattlewingsfan

seattlewingsfan Lakewood, Washington, United States Member

as long as your car was built since they started putting ethonol in the fuel, it will not hurt your car. They have changed seals, gaskets, hoses accordingly.

I tune normal fuel cars to run on e85 at my shop all the time. It's great for performance. Much like running race gas as far as tunning goes. However you do need to run much more due to it containing less potential energy. usually 60% more fuel. which means your fuel economy goes way down. but you can run radiacal tuning and I can get safe 900HP out of a 4cyl engine with proper upgrades.

The downside with ethonol is that guy above now gets 150-160 miles to the tank when he used to get 300 under normal driving. driving exactly the same.

6. hosemeister

hosemeister Vancouver New Member

Vancouver Oil in Salmon Creek, Vancouver sells ethanol free gasoline on Saturday's to the public. They are normally a CFN cardlock facility.

7. scooby

scooby Portland New Member

Filled up with a tank today! My car runs noticeably better on real gas as opposed to the ethanol mixes.

Wouldn't have known you were there if it weren't for this post. Have been going out to Laurel Valley station.

8. Wajim

Wajim University Place New Member

As I understand it the fuel at the pump is now 10% ethanol.

Word on the street is that E15 is on the way to the N.W.

Can anyone confirm or deny. If this is so its going to reek havoc on anything 2008 and older. Especially 70's and 80's carburetor cars.

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

It looks like the cutoff might be 1995 or 2001. It sounds like E15 will be in a blender pump so you can still get E10. This article seemed to describe things well.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ofuels/four-things-to-know-about-e15-15096134

I kind of like how Maine addressed the issue assuming their neighbors do something similar.
    http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/10/maine-votes-to-ban-ethanol-in-gasoline-takes-stand-against-e15/

10. Wajim

Wajim University Place New Member

Thanks for the link Drew...........

11. SDR

If you have more questions about the Non Ethanol gas please feel free to call or stop in or post here ...

Overall the Non Ethanol change has been a success , People are really learning how Superior Non Ethanol is for performance, Mileage and less maintenance for components made of rubber and aluminum...

Dave's Palisades ?

12. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

E0 (non-Ethanol fuel) is AWESOME! I run it exclusively in my small engines and it is great stuff. If you are running 2-stroke yard equipment, it makes it run top notch. I love having additional options for availability.

13. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Get gas there often. Daves is a great station.

If they come out with that E15, DO NOT USE IT IN ANY SMALL ENGINE.
    There was a good article in BOAT US about E15.
    It will kill your engine, especially outboards, lawn and garden equipment. Even with ethanol stabilizer, it
    is just too corrosive. Phase seperation begins in about 2 weeks with any ethanol fuel. Worse on E15

Keep clear fuel in the small stuff if you want to keep it.

Thanks for carrying the clear gas.
    I send a lot of folks there every week.

14. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

15. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

I use non ethanol in my 04 Astro. I get more mpg . When I run low on fuel and am not near a non ethanol station, I will buy just enough to get me to a non ethanol station.

16. MikeIsh

MikeIsh Portland Member

Hey all I can vouch for Dave's Palisades Service.
    Thirty eight years ago I worked for his grandfather. I met Dave (the grandson) at the Portland gun show. As it turned out I was looking for a new mechanic. Two months ago I took both our rigs in for standard lube, oil change,& filters. Dave's did the work on time. He also gave me a list of the standard maintenance work my Highlander needed at 120,000 miles. Before I trusted his recommendation I checked with Toyota. They gave me the same list line by line. And wanted $1500 more for the exact same job. I called Dave's and scheduled for some of the most pressing repairs/ maintenance to be done. We left the rig, left town overnight. Dave had called me three times the next day. I was out of cell service area, so I didn't get the messages until I got service again. I called Dave he told me three times the parts house had sent the wrong part, and he Found the right parts at a different store. His father drove out to pick up my parts as the store wouldn't deliver them. The job was finished two hours late, but on the same day promised at the price agreed on. I feel the family went above and beyond expectations so my rig was done in a timely manor.
    Yes I am buying the no ETOH premium fuel. And it's cheaper than at the next closest station by nearly a buck a gallon! I have known Dave's family a long time. Dave only four months. I trust his judgement, mechanics, and recommendations. I have and will continue to refer friends & relatives to him.
    Mike:eek::thumbup:

17. SDR

Mike, Wow ...
    Thank You

You have no idea what it means to Me hearing this ... Mike I'm Shawn the original Dave's Son, The Dave you spoke to is My son ... Hearing this just makes everything we work at all worth it ... My (A) tech is an ASE master tech from school but hand trained by Me on how to do a phenomenal job, I believe in exchange in abundance, Give my customer more than what they pay for and always do everything possible to deliver on the promise ... Sounds like My Tech and Service Writer is doing just that ...My father taught Me this and I have carried it through because it is the right thing to do ... On the flip side Mike if things do not go correctly I really want to know about it so I can solve the problem and make it right by you as the customer ... We are not perfect but we sure do try hard...

Again Mike, These words really mean a lot to Me, Thank You ...

18. SDR

Thank You , I appreciate it ...

19. dieseldan723

dieseldan723 Oregon New Member

I drive from Beaverton to Dave's Palisades Service for non-ethanol gas! Thank you Dave!

20. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I get non-ethanol gas for my small engines and motorcycles, especially those engines that take premix. Things like a power washer, lawn mower, chainsaw, generator, etc., all work better with non-ethanol gas and the gas stores longer.

My car, a late model German brand, does fine on premium pump gas, but gets about 10% less MPG during the winter when they add more ethanol due to pollution problems.

A person with a vehicle that is rated for "regular" gasoline should not run "premium" in it - the vehicle will do better with the lower octane than the higher octane fuel - it will make more power and get better mileage with fuel that costs less. The higher octane is for higher compression engines - so that they won't suffer from "pinging"/etc. (although most now have knock sensors and will run okay on lower octane fuel, they won't be as efficient or make as much power).

My lawn mower/etc. are not high compression, but I get the non-ethanol premium gas just the same because it stores better and works better. If I could get non-ethanol regular gas then I would use that instead - but every place I have gone to that has non-ethanol gas only offers it in the higher octane "premium".

My motorcycles, especially one with 13:1 compression, need the higher octane fuel. Some chain saws probably do too.