JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you mean is it legal to use a crossbow during rifle season, for an animal you have a rifle tag for? Or do you mean, is it legal to carry a crossbow around in an area when a big game rifle season is going on?

The ODFW regs say "Only recurve, long, or compound bows are legal for hunting game mammals," and further state, "It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with:
• Bows having a draw weight of less than 40 pounds (except no minimum draw weight for western gray squirrel).
• Any device secured to or supported by the bow that maintains the bow at full draw."

Do you mean is it legal to use a crossbow during rifle season, for an animal you have a rifle tag for? Or do you mean, is it legal to carry a crossbow around in an area when a big game rifle season is going on?

The ODFW regs say "Only recurve, long, or compound bows are legal for hunting game mammals," and further state, "It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with:
• Bows having a draw weight of less than 40 pounds (except no minimum draw weight for western gray squirrel).
• Any device secured to or supported by the bow that maintains the bow at full draw."
I mean using it during rifle season to take an animal I have a rifle tag for.

I am not 100% sure, but I thought I remember, least of a few years ago, that crossbows were illegal to hunt with in Oregon.

Feel free to correct me of i am mistaken ;)

You can't hunt any game animal in Oregon with a crossbow, only vermin.
I would like to see them put in with muzzle loaders.

Go to Bass pro in Oregon and tell me how many crossbows they have for sale, then go to one in Texas and tell me the results. There's a reason you'll see what you see

This is a rule they are working on changing. Doesn't sound like it has been changed to allow crossbow usage during the "any legal weapon" hunts in 2021.

Keep in mind, a couple years ago it wasn't 100% legal to hunt with a bow during rifle season if you had a rifle tag.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top