JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
_nc_ohc=alyVE-kVEOkAX_HlAQN&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

Last Edited:
I think I'd like to add the Ruger Mini-14 to my list. This weekend at a shooting/bbq get together, one of the gents who came brought his bone stock Ruger - it was one of the stainless & wood varieties if this helps date it. His 18 year old son was primarily shooting it. The young man had no problems engaging close or long range targets with open sights. There was no red dot, no scope on the gun. He was pinging steel easily at 125 yards (the longest target available) with the peep sights. The gun never hiccuped, and boy did it fling brass! I don't remember the mini hucking brass, but it was throwing the spent casings a good 25+ feet consistently.

Bi Mart always seemed to have a Mini 14 on the shelves, at least pre Coof era.

Downsides? Mags are more expensive and harder to find. They dont' have cool PIcatinny rails to mount cool guy stuff on, but you can get them as add-ons. Since my eyes are crummy middle aged astigmatic eyes, I would add the scope mount and throw a low power scope on it.

Rails for Mini's are easy to find
I think GG&G have them
Ruger factory mags are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, but ProMag makes functional Mini-14 mags and Tapco sells a polymer Mini magazine. Both work fine and either of them are less than half the cost of Ruger factory mags.

for me it's about ammo and mags, first priority, and weapon/parts second priority.

what's there going to be the most of around here when everything falls apart? 5.56 and stanag mags, and 9mm for handgun.

so ARs and glock 9mms, for me, plz

nobody knows, of course, what a collapse would look like, but pretty much any path i can envision involves regional militarized occupational forces... whether civilian initiated, government owned, or foreign.. and barring any eastern invasion, that means 5.56 and stanag mags, and most likely M16 pattern weapons. but if ARs were, as the OP is musing, not available, i'd go with another NATO weapon, for the benefit of thems ammo n mags.. take your pick which one.

and yea the way things are going, i think the ability to retain the thing for as long as possible is likely to end up more important than any other consideration. whether that's burying semiautos somewhere potentially long term where they can never be found, or become a goddamn master surgeon with your bolt gun and stockpiling ammo for it... i'd give consideration to both.

This was on In Range today:

I don't know anything about them, though the test was interesting. The carbine itself looks like some kind of weird fish though.

This was on In Range today:

I don't know anything about them, though the test was interesting. The carbine itself looks like some kind of weird fish though.
They are funky-cool. Once you get used to them, they are quite nifty, though a bit chunky and hard to customize, that and they are EXPENSIVE!
For the money alone, I would take the TAVOR over any of the other Bullpups! Now, if someone wanted to gift me one of these, I wouldn't turn it down, and I wouldn't sell it ether!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top