JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9 MM over penetrates more than 5,56 all the time. Counter intuitive I know, I was like you before. The wife prefers her AR-9's, I go 5.56.
If u are referring to soft target overpenetration then yea for sure fragmentation and tumble etc of 223 all have huge effect to reduce overpenetration. Also using fmj in 9mm would have big effect to increase chance of overpenetration vs 9mm hollow point.

In the urban defense situation I mentioned above I was talking about all possible unintended consequences of having to shoot in an urban defense situation (which includes outside the house). That could include missing your target and damage to another target (keep in mind that rifles r more lethal than pistols), or penetrating objects and the chance of hitting what's behind those objects. I think a pistol round such as a 9mm self defense hollow point will have less chance of unintended consequences than a rifle round in such a situation. In terms of unintended consequences (not lethality) I would rather have a 350 ft lb 9mm round going down range in that situation than an 1100 ft lb ar15 round or a 2800 ft lb 12 gauge with #oo buck. A crude example of penetration of a possible unknown object is think of shooting a skillet or other similar target with 9mm and it will splatter whereas an AR will leave a nice clean hole.

I think 223/556 is an excellent home defense option as is a 12 gauge and I have both and would use either in a heartbeat. For longer ranges than urban or open terrain then rifles such as 223 etc would be my first choice over pcc. And of course there is the possibility of certain urban threats (such as well organized gang of thugs with light body armor) where the need for increased firepower is more important than protecting urself against unintended consequences (as much as you reasonably can) but that was not the case that night (and if it was I had only to reach over to grab a 556 rifle if it were needed). Just my opinion on it and may not be right for the next person.

Last Edited:
Well the AR is hard to beat. But let's say it broke. There are dream guns out there but for me the backups would be the guns I can access quickly. So my first choice would be the M1 Garand and choice two would be either the 1873 or 10/22

Non AR but with as many AR features as possible...

Tavor
SCAR
ACR

Stepping away from 5.56mm

Hk 91 pattern (Genuine HK91 if $$$ is no object, PTR91 first runner up, CETME second runner up, even tho the CETME is the original that the HK91 was licensed from) - roller locked, .308... HK drum diopter style sights... yeah.

The FAL would be my next choice.

Then I think I'd look at AKs.

I bought the keltec RDB and while expecting very little it has been a reliable and pretty accurate little machine. It may not be my first choice but it is in the running. I actually like it more than the AUG.

Then, bizarrely, found the answer in the M1 Carbine and now on a hard target search for an M2.
Hola to myself from a month ago. Well, Space Pineapples, M2 found. Information, payment and FFL sent, now just waiting on the gears to move. Created the folder to track/document this one:

La nueva carpeta.jpg

Like anything NFA, there's going to be some wait, but that times going to pass one way or another. Beep-beep.

Last Edited:
I'm guessing the ruger 10/22 has already been listed but if not that would be my primary go to but suppressed
Interesting idea. Almost nothing rimfire does anything for me, but wife's 10/22 with a can and a supply of BX-25 magazines is fun. And, as you alluded to, could be pressed into service. :s0155:

351830-5d18469f3970f9c7df828f433b60c3ce.jpg

Last Edited:
Interesting idea. Almost nothing rimfire does anything for me, but wife's 10/22 with a can and a supply of BX-25 magazines is fun. And, as you alluded to, could pressed into service. :s0155:

View attachment 1055749
I love my ar's but I could carry more ammo be way quieter even with supersonic and they can be effective at hunting, granted nothing heavy duty but still efficient and they are what I trained my kids with so more hands are familiar with them

FN/FAL hands down the BEST battle rifle ever made!
FN-49 Old school battle rifle perfection, especially in .30/06
BM-59 Too cool for school, the M-1 Garand perfected
H&K 33/53 Roller bolts that actually worked
Tavor From the guys who build things to run coated with sand, and they flat out work
Robinson XCR, everything you ever wanted in a 5.56 rifle, but were afraid to ask
SIG 551, 5.56 fighting rifle that went to collage
AR-180, the better AR in every way, the rifle we should have adopted
SKS, Iron Curtin simplicity at it's finest, and superior to it's little brother the AK
The FN 49 is awesome but they are $$$$$$$$$ now I can only afford the Fal and a Sks .

FN FALs are quite neato, though I have limited experience with them. I remember a gun club buddy had one that had an abbreviated barrel, with a larger (30-rounds?) magazine, but AFAIK not shorty enough to be NFA. Anyway, I found it a cool rifle. :)

FN FALs are quite neato, though I have limited experience with them. I remember a gun club buddy had one that had an abbreviated barrel, with a larger (30-rounds?) magazine, but AFAIK not shorty enough to be NFA. Anyway, I found it a cool rifle. :)
Ya ever wanna try a couple more FAL's lemme know! Just built a Para Folder carbine to go along with the "Standard", a Rhodi, Israeli, as well as the super special secret sauce STG-58 DMR trials rifle replica, and the Match Styer build!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top