Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NOB to reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Tracer411, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Tracer411

Tracer411 Salem Member

I've been a member here for a year now and purchased a used Dilon 550b from a fellow member. I am looking for someone in the SALEM area that can help me get this thing setup an tweaked correctly. I belive I have all the parts and supplies needed to make it work. A few months ago I made up a few rounds and they seemed kinda inconsistant. shooting them in my mini-14

Thanks for any help at all
    Tracy

2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

There's a guy on here who has classes every once and a while named JohnH. I've been asking for a 223 class on the Dillon. Maybe he'll do one if enough of us ask.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

While waiting, why not start here? There are a series of YouTube vid's on loading on the 550b

[video=youtube;VRZrbv_8kx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4[/video]

4. PORet

PORet Springfield, Oregon New Member

I would suggest YouTube. Think of it as encyclopedia. Just type in "Dillon 550b" and you'll get the guy above and others who will help you set up and run your Dillon press.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Hey crazy ideal. but call dillon and ask them for help. And have you read the manual yet?

6. Tracer411

Tracer411 Salem Member

Thanks for all the info guys, I will look to youtube for some video help.

7. djthemac

djthemac eugene Member

It looks intimidating but its easy peasy once you get your hands dirty

8. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

one thing to keep in mind for your caliber,u must measure the overall length of the case AFTER sizing,so just running them thru like pistol ammo is not a good idea.rifle brass almost always needs trimming,pistol almost never.
    youtube is a wealth of info on just about anything,I love it for that.

9. k7grc

k7grc Banks, Or Active Member

10. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I am loading .308 brass that gets neck sized only using a Lee Collet Die. I find case length growth to me very minimal with each firing. Unlike conventional dies that pull an expander ball through the neck as a final "act", the Collet die re-forms the neck around a mandrel. This said, I go ahead and trim every time I prep cases but it's more to insure that the case mouth is perfectly square rather than for length. A rifle case, on average can "grow" around .010"-.015" with no issues after an initial trimming.

The only time trimming is ABSOLUTELY required is if the case is too long to fit in the chamber or you are crimping. In the latter case, this applies to Pistol cases as well or you'll chase your tail so badly you'll disappear up your own <you know what> trying to get even crimps.