JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And NY isn't a stand your ground state either.

I think that could have gone very bad very fast.

Personally I wouldn't open the door for them at all. They kick the door in during the middle of the night (or any time really) without a warrant and properly identifying themselves as officers of a proper law enforcement agency, that's felony breaking and entering + assault with a deadly weapon + illegal search. Use of lethal force to protect your home and family would be authorized and justified.

Last Edited:
Here is a summary of that show.. Not the south park series..:D

Pervy-the-Duck.gif

Not sure why TF the guy opened the door. I would have took cover and waited for the door to be kicked in. Then protected myself.

That or I would have called 911 and asked for an immediate dispatch of a couple social workers and then fired two shotgun blasts in the air.

These are not isolated incidents, and happen quite often. Bounty Hunters have no legal authority to enter your home whatsoever and certainly none to detain you while they conduct their illegal search.

A stranger forcing their way into my home will be introduce to Mr. Buck Shot.

These are not isolated incidents, and happen quite often. Bounty Hunters have no legal authority to enter your home whatsoever and certainly none to detain you while they conduct their illegal search.

A stranger forcing their way into my home will be introduce to Mr. Buck Shot.

Actually you are wrong .. The Supreme Court ruled in 1872 that bounty hunters are indeed able to enter a home legally to make an arrest . Further more MOST states do not require licensing or training to be a bounty hunter ...

Not saying you are off base, but shooting a bond agent is about like killing a cop in most states ...
Problem is if they don't identify themselves how are people supposed to differentiate between them and the average home invasion?

I've been through a home invasion fwiw. Was living with my uncle and he owned rental houses. Someone knew when he collected rent and they came to rob the house with pistols.

Smacked me in the head a few times with one as they walked me in the house. I had been bent over the hood of a jeep in the yard and thought it was my uncle walking up. We go into the house and I yell We have company........

Which was code for grab the shotgun. As I rounded the corner I see David(My uncle) with the Winchester pistol grip pump action leveled at my chest. I immediately drop and BOOM.....CHech CHech.......Boom. Rocksalt shells straight to the chest and face of the guy behind me. I jump up and round the corner as I hear the other guy running. Tackled him through the screen door and rode him down about 8 stairs. Was on top beating him as the other guy comes running out of the house. Blood pouring. My uncle walking out behind him saying the next ones are buckshot.

All of sudden a car is speeding into the yard and about to hit me. My uncle grabs me and drags me up the stairs. The guys scramble into the car. I grab the shotgun from him and level it at the back window. Boom it goes off but my uncle knocked it up so the shot goes into the air.

Stop he says. You can't shoot them if they are fleeing. Look around. The neighbors are outside.
Cops came, took their little .38 they left in the confusion along with their hats. My uncle wanted them to DNA test the hair but you know they don't have time for that.

Anyways. I would have shot first after my experience

It's my understanding that the law only allows them to enter the fugitive's residence without a warrant.

Actually that is incorrect , a bond agent is not limited to arrest at the home of the individual who broke bond. Having said that it is also acknowledged by most attorneys that the bond agent has obligation to utilize good judgement. Circling back though there is NOTHING in the Taylor v Taintor decision that limits a bond agent to places he may go, it has been tested in court numerous times over the years but the language is agreed to place few limits on a bond agents authority.

When bail is given, the principal is regarded as delivered to the custody of his sureties. Their dominion is a continuance of the original imprisonment. Whenever they choose to do so, they may seize him and deliver him up in their discharge; and if that cannot be done at once, they may imprison him until it can be done. They may exercise their rights in person or by agent. They may pursue him into another State; may arrest him on the Sabbath; and if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner.

Actually that is incorrect , a bond agent is not limited to arrest at the home of the individual who broke bond. Having said that it is also acknowledged by most attorneys that the bond agent has obligation to utilize good judgement. Circling back though there is NOTHING in the Taylor v Taintor decision that limits a bond agent to places he may go, it has been tested in court numerous times over the years but the language is agreed to place few limits on a bond agents authority.

When bail is given, the principal is regarded as delivered to the custody of his sureties. Their dominion is a continuance of the original imprisonment. Whenever they choose to do so, they may seize him and deliver him up in their discharge; and if that cannot be done at once, they may imprison him until it can be done. They may exercise their rights in person or by agent. They may pursue him into another State; may arrest him on the Sabbath; and if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner.

So, they are allowed to enter and search a third party property without the owners permission?

So, they are allowed to enter and search a third party property?

Yes and it has happened numerous times over the years . To my knowledge there has not been a court decision that has over turned this . Keep in mind though while bond agents have wide sweeping powers to arrest bail jumpers they do have legal obligations to contact the local law enforcement and advise them they are pursuing someone in the jurisdiction , but in a lot of instances the police do actively work with bond agents in the apprehension of the bail jumper.

A friend of mine back home who did this work for a few bond agents told me that if he could locate someone with no doubt in another state in most cases he could have the local law enforcement pick them up and he would then go there and take custody of the bail jumper.

Listen to the video, the two Buffalo police officers who were with the bounty hunters had no idea who they were with, what agency they were from and barely understood the bounty hunters were from PA. They we're looking for the brother of the homeowner... By the way, I didn't hear anyone identify themselves... Yet Buffalo police maintain policies and procedures were followed. Hmmmm... Guess Buffalo police don't ask any specifics before backing up bounty hunters... Like where are you from, who are you looking for, what evidence do you have said individual is at the location...

Anyone else think there's a possible 4th Amendment violation here, seems there was no search warrant, one was asked for by the homeowner... Didn't see or hear any confirmation of such... Unless bounty hunters are above the Constitution...

Personally, I hope this couple received a seven figure settlement...

Seems the case law is specific, as it states his house... Its an interesting matter to dig into. I've no application for this as I don't have any criminal family members or friends that are out on bond. Not since that one uncle died in Mexico :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top