JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK... maybe not so brief;)

When I took the kids shooting the other day, I decided to sight in the new(to me) scope I got last week. It's a 6-18x44 Vortex CrossfireII with the illuminated reticle mounted to my rifle with an American Defense AD Recon QD mount. All I brought for ammo was my personal m193 recipe of 25.5g of h335 behind a 55g Hornady fmjbt and CCI #41 primer. A budget plinking round. What transpired was nothing short of amazing.

I paced off 100 yards, put down a tarp and a little (but not nearly enough)cardboard to get off the gravel.. I had limited room in the gun case, so I took advantage of the American Defense mount's excellent QD function, and mounted the scope to my Mega/Ballistics Advantage 18" SPR chambered in .223 Wylde.
It was hot, 95 degrees +, the tarp and folded up usps flat rate boxes I happened to have in the Jeep did little to cushion me from the 3" minus pit run gravel I was laying on, and the flys were "bugging" the $#!+ out of me, but I finally settled in behind the rifle, popped in a mag... took aim and squeezed one off. I didn't bore sight or anything.
First shot hit dead center, about 1/4" above the bulls eye. Second shot about 3/4" to its left. I had to walk up to the target and make sure I was seeing it right, and sure enough.. I came back to the rifle, squeezed off a half dozen more resulting in a 1/2" ragged hole... cleared the gun and put it back in its case, and went back to letting the kids shoot.
It took me an hour, and 20-30 rounds of much more expensive ammo to get my last scope this close! I want to fine tune it at 200/300 yards, but our secret creek spot is only 100yards, and my makeshift shooting mat was not working to keep the pit run rock from digging in to my knees and elbows, so I'll have to do it at the range later.
IMG_3020.JPG IMG_3021.JPG IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2896.JPG

I know they say you should spend as much on optics as you did on your rifle, but if I can get these results out of a $270 scope and an unlimited lifetime warranty, I'm in no hurry to spend 1G or more for a little more clarity. Granted the American Defense AD Recon mount probably has a lot to do with it, and it costs almost as much as the scope(around $180). It is money well spent considering the quality, amount of contact it has with the pic rail, and it too has an unlimited lifetime warranty. My research has told me that the American Defense AD Recon is arguably the best you can get for return to zero if you plan on swapping optics or want to be able to remove it for transport or storage. LaRue is its main competition. Though my personal experience is limited, my research has been confirmed. I've heard the LaRue is on par, but I have no experience with them other than noticing the owner of the company frequents ARFCOM, and turns every mount discussion into a 3 page LaRue ad, and will attack anybody that argues with him. And I've heard he's an arrogant prick. That alone is enough to steer me back to AD.
I wouldn't have been able to afford this setup, but I got it used for $150 from a great NWFA member, and I feel like I stole it.
Bottom line...
Vortex Crossfire2 6-18X44 w/V-Brite reticle.. :s0155:
American Defense AD Recon mount....:s0155:
My mock M193 handloads....:s0155:

This range report was brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Mygrainman:s0094:

Last Edited:
OK... maybe not so brief;)

When I took the kids shooting the other day, I decided to sight in the new(to me) scope I got last week. It's a 6-18x44 Vortex CrossfireII with the illuminated reticle mounted to my rifle with an American Defense AD Recon QD mount. All I brought for ammo was my personal m193 recipe of 25.5g of h335 behind a 55g Hornady fmjbt and CCI #41 primer. A budget plinking round. What transpired was nothing short of amazing.

I paced off 100 yards, put down a tarp and a little (but not nearly enough)cardboard to get off the gravel.. I had limited room in the gun case, so I took advantage of the American Defense mount's excellent QD function, and mounted the scope to my Mega/Ballistics Advantage 18" SPR chambered in .223 Wylde.
It was hot, 95 degrees +, the tarp and folded up usps flat rate boxes I happened to have in the Jeep did little to cushion me from the 3" minus pit run gravel I was laying on, and the flys were "bugging" the $#!+ out of me, but I finally settled in behind the rifle, popped in a mag... took aim and squeezed one off. I didn't bore sight, or anything.
First shot hit dead center, about 1/4" above the bulls eye. Second shot about 3/4" to its left. I had to walk up to the target and make sure I was seeing it right, and sure enough.. I came back to the rifle, squeezed off a half dozen more resulting in a 1/2" ragged hole... cleared the gun and put it back in its case, and went back to letting the kids shoot.
It took me an hour, and 20-30 rounds of much more expensive ammo to get my last scope this close! I want to fine tune it at 200/300 yards, but our secret creek spot is only 100yards, and my makeshift shooting mat was not working to keep the pit run rock from digging in to my knees and elbows, so I'll have to do it at the range later.
View attachment 388845 View attachment 388846View attachment 388854 View attachment 388853

I know they say you should spend as much on optics as you did on your rifle, but if I can get these results out of a $270 scope and an unlimited lifetime warranty, I'm in no hurry to spend 1G or more for a little more clarity. Granted the American Defense AD Recon mount probably has a lot to do with it, and it costs almost as much as the scope(around $180). It is money well spent considering the quality, amount of contact it has with the pic rail, and it too has an unlimited lifetime warranty. My research has told me that the American Defense AD Recon is arguably the best you can get for return to zero if you plan on swapping optics or want to be able to remove it for transport or storage. LaRue is its main competition. Though my personal experience is limited, my research has been confirmed. I've heard the LaRue is on par, I have no experience with them other than noticing the owner of the company frequents ARFCOM, and turns every mount discussion into a 3 page LaRue ad, and will attack anybody that argues with him. And I've heard he's an arrogant prick. That alone is enough to steer me back to AD.
I wouldn't have been able to afford this setup, but I got it used for $150 from a great NWFA member, and I feel like I stole it.
Bottom line...
Vortex Crossfire2 6-18X44 w/V-Brite reticle.. :s0155:
American Defense AD Recon mount....:s0155:
My mock M193 handloads....:s0155:

This range report was brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Mygrainman:s0094:
VERY damn nice looking set up!!! Sure works well too!

If it makes you happy, is accurate and does it's job...

WGAF what other 'people' think.

I have a good habit of living that motto well.

Most importantly......it makes YOU happy.

Aloha, Mark

If it makes you happy, is accurate and does it's job...

WGAF what other 'people' think.

I have a good habit of living that motto well.

It indeed makes me happy... And it is more accurate than I expected.
I built my first AR on a budget, and while it is perfectly fine for the purpose it serves, I wanted a really nice AR capable of precision but still light enough to tote around if need be. I also wanted it to look as good as it shot. My wife let me spend quite a bit more on this one, and I put the most money into the barrel, trigger and a couple unnecessaries that just make it look nice(charge handle& muzzle brake for example) I still have a wish list... mainly buttstock and hand guard. I want it to mock the Mark12 mod0 or mod 1. whichever I'm on the fence which one I like better.... but not exactly, my mind constantly changes, and so does the rifle. It's constantly evolving. I've gone through several butstocks and can't seem to find the right one... but when I do find it I have plenty nice ones to trade:s0108:.

must be a vortex thing :rolleyes:

i put a BNIB sparc AR ON MY 10" 300blk pistol and it was spot on at 50yrds with 208gr handloaded subsonics and the can on it.

i could not believe it.

today i zeroed it at 100yrd with subsonics. decided to shoot a 125gr supersonic thru it. with the same point of aim it shot 12" high :eek:

must be a vortex thing :rolleyes:

i put a BNIB sparc AR ON MY 10" 300blk pistol and it was spot on at 50yrds with 208gr handloaded subsonics and the can on it.

i could not believe it.

today i zeroed it at 100yrd with subsonics. decided to shoot a 125gr supersonic thru it. with the same point of aim it shot 12" high :eek:
What brand/twist etc is your barrel?.. I'm running a 8.3" BA Hansen 1:7 I believe on my BO pistol, and those are the exact same weight bullets I've loaded up so far... haven't had much range time yet though... And only ran irons. both had a similar point of impact though... no can. Might be a challenge when I decide to throw optics on it.

What brand/twist etc is your barrel?.. I'm running a 8.3" BA Hansen 1:7 I believe on my BO pistol, and those are the exact same weight bullets I've loaded up so far... haven't had much range time yet though... And only ran irons. both had a similar point of impact though... no can. Might be a challenge when I decide to throw optics on it.
its a 10" ballistic advantage barrel 1:7 twist IIRC.

my subsonics are moving 1047fps
my supersonics are moving 2200-ish fps

im not surprised the point of impact is way different. the faster lighter bullets do not drop as fast as the slow heavy ones.

my sparc ar optic is 1 click=1moa/100yrd so i know i just adjust 12 minutes down it should be spot on for supersonics theoretically. :D

its a 10" ballistic advantage barrel 1:7 twist IIRC.

my subsonics are moving 1047fps
my supersonics are moving 2200-ish fps

im not surprised the point of impact is way different. the faster lighter bullets do not drop as fast as the slow heavy ones.

my sparc ar optic is 1 click=1moa/100yrd so i know i just adjust 12 minutes down it should be spot on for supersonics theoretically. :D
Another coincidence... I have a Spark AR that is going on my pistol as well... It's out of comission until I get a new handguard though. Too many projects, not enough money. should be back in action by weeks end... I hope. Good to know what to expect. Thanks for the info! be a while before I get a suppressor so most my shooting will be supers for now.

Another coincidence... I have a Spark AR that is going on my pistol as well... It's out of comission until I get a new handguard though. Too many projects, not enough money. should be back in action by weeks end... I hope. Good to know what to expect. Thanks for the info! be a while before I get a suppressor so most my shooting will be supers for now.
anytime! if u need any recepies for subsonics lemme know!

yep, too many projects! ha tell me about it. took me 2 years to build my "budget" 5.56AR. i challenged myself to see how inexpensive i could do one up... $360 total.

The lock-screw on that HG is in the Unlocked position, BTW. You'll probably want to ratchet it down before you start installing.

I left it that way because I thought you might want to take a look at the components, see how it goes together, before setting to work--any questions, I can't promise answers but I can promise my best effort at them.

I left it that way because I thought you might want to take a look at the components, see how it goes together, before setting to work--any questions, I can't promise answers but I can promise my best effort at them.

That was very astute of you.. I do have to take everything apart and see how it works... I was the kid that had a toy box full of broken and half assembled toys from getting in over my head. If only I had the internet to look things up back in the 80's.

I'll figure it out even if I have to destroy the guard and my pistol trying...I'm mechanically gifted that way:D... I appreciate the help though!

I know they say you should spend as much on optics as you did on your rifle, but if I can get these results out of a $270 scope and an unlimited lifetime warranty, I'm in no hurry to spend 1G or more for a little more clarity.
Its more for dedicated precision rifles going to long distances. Which is where the clarity becomes aparent. Though you could still get away without it. I just like the clarity because its easy to see where your bullets hit the target, even at 3x. o_O

But the nitpick aside, good shootin'! And yes you should stick with ADM by virtue of them not damaging the rails like LaRue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top