JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stupid:

Friday, April 30, 2010
Updated: Now the NRA Bans Prohibits Guns
If you're coming to Charlotte for the NRA Convention, don't come carrying. The venue doesn't permit licensed carry and is going to put patrons through metal detectors.

Machiavelli said <what?>

“Don’t doubt for a minute that, if they thought they could get away with it, they would ban guns and ban ammunition and gut the Second Amendment,” said Palin

Northwest Firearms forum, and local friends, thank you for bringing sanity. The politico's I can do without.

(Who wants to pick up some boxes of ammo and go shoot some?)

I can understand why. Its not their own building. But they could have found another place more "Pro Gun".

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/nra-bans-guns-during-its-annual-meeting_100365424.html

NRA bans guns during its annual meeting
May 18th, 2010 - 2:38 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt -

Washington DC, May 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In an ironical twist, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has banned guns during their annual meeting. The news was confirmed by a statement on the NRA website itself. The statement on the website clarified that no fire-arms would be allowed in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. The statement also makes it very clear that the legal rules and the regulations of the convention center also prohibit carrying the firearms, so the attendees ought to be very careful. The statement also makes it very clear that no body would be allowed to sneak in, any sort of gun or firearms, as all the attendees would have to undergo a thorough security check.

The statement posted on the website says that, “North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.”

This notice didn’t come as a surprise to most of the attendees of the annual meeting, and they also added that they are going to abide by the rules.

This should not surprise anyone. The NRA has pulled this in the past.

I am aware of the private property issue.

One would think that a specific lobby would actually research this before committing resources and holding a large convention but they did not.

Its not like many of us needed a reason to not join the NRA.

i know its a oxymoron but big deal, so what, lets just throw more mud on the biggest group fighting for our rights .

lets all take that attitude and cancel our memberships and while we are at it just shoot ourselves in the foot and hand over our guns and gun rights

Some more info on this. This was posted by a THR forum member. It is a letter that he wrote to Marriott management. I haven't seen any response to him from Marriott yet, but the guy writes a REAL good letter.

Kathleen,

I had stayed at that Marriott in Charlotte during the NRA Annual Meeting and I can legally carry a concealed weapon in North Carolina.

Thursday morning I called Chad Callaghan, Marriott's Corporate VP of Loss Prevention regarding Marriott’s firearms policy, to inquire if it had changed. He confirmed that their policy had not changed, and Marriott's policy was to follow the laws of the jurisdiction in which the hotel is located. It has always been my understanding that Marriott’s firearms policy was similar to Starbucks ( <broken link removed> ).

I also spoke with Chad regarding the lack of safes in every guest room. I find interesting that a corporate owned and operated property, in the nation’s second largest banking center does not provide safes in every room.

I asked Chad for a copy of the firearms policy to give to the hotel’s general manager when I got there, since I was hearing conflicting information from the hotel’s staff when I called regarding the availability of in-room safes.

Chad told me he could not provide me the policy in writing but he would be calling the property to remind them of the policy.

Some of the hotel’s staff was well aware that I was going to have a firearm with me. I was upgraded to one of their 12 suites, when I had called to inquire about the availability of in-room safes, since only the suites have in-room safes at this property.

I checked in on Friday around noon, and there were no signs posted. When I returned from the NRA event at the Time Warner Cable Arena the signs were posted.

Here is my dilemma, there is now a sign stating no weapons, and my pistol is up in my room in the safe.

I went to the front desk and asked for the general manager, and was told he was gone for the weekend. I then asked for the manager on duty.

I spoke with Taylor, the manager on duty. I informed him that the posting of the sign is in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policy regarding firearms. I informed him that I had reconfirmed that policy with Chad Callaghan the previous day, before heading down to the NRA annual meeting.

The manager on duty told me he was going to call the general manager and corporate and look in to it.

The signs were still posted on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate firearms policy.

I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite with Marriott. The reason Marriott has earned almost all of my hotel business over the years is because of their firearms policy.

This hotel is a corporate owned; Host Marriott, corporate run, Marriott International location. What has happened is someone at this hotel, who is a corporate employee of Marriott, took it upon themselves to post signs in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policies.

Please help me understand how the general manager, of a corporate owned and operated Marriott is not familiar with corporate policies. Especially since Jim Diehl is also the regional executive that oversees the other Marriott properties in the Charlotte region.

I am requesting a personal written apology from Jim Diehl, for putting my clean criminal record at risk and jeopardizing my ability to legally carry a concealed weapon in 33 states. A clean criminal record is also required to maintain my government clearance which is required by my employer.

I am requesting that Marriott to place a full page ad in a nationwide publication with an apology regarding this matter. The same ad will include a public statement of Marriott’s policy regarding the lawful possession of firearms at their properties.

I am requesting the details of the disciplinary actions taken to assure that this issue does not happen again.

I am requesting the details of any new or modified employee training programs to assure that all staff at any Marriott business, corporate or franchised, is aware of the corporate polices related to the lawful possession of firearms at Marriott businesses.

Thanks you for taking the time respond to this email and ensuring the timely resolution of this matter.

Respectfully,

Ed

This should not surprise anyone. The NRA has pulled this in the past.

I am aware of the private property issue.

One would think that a specific lobby would actually research this before committing resources and holding a large convention but they did not.

Its not like many of us needed a reason to not join the NRA.

The NRA taught America to shoot back in WW-I
They are one of the primary trainers for most police accross the country.
They have done more good to maintain our 2nd ammendment than any other organization that exists.
To bad mouth them and not be member and support them is just what the anti's want.
Support them, and I would also suggest you support all true pro gun organizations, like GOA, RKBA, all local arms of the NRA. like OSSA, and OFF, and more less known groups like USCCA in all they do. We win by numbers and voices in all of them. There are a couple so called sportsmen associations out there acting as pro gun when in reality they are fronts for the Anti's, so investiate well before supporting them. The ones I mentioned above are ALL very pro 2nd ammendment.
Stop the badmouthing of the NRA, as it puts you in league with the anti's. They rejoice every time you say anything negative about them. The NRA is big and they need places that are big enough to support their events, but they are also law abiding and when this happens they can use it to change the policy in future events if they want return events. That is a good tool for everyone to use in overturning these draconian policies and laws. The NRA does not like these policies any more than you do. The more members we have in all organizations INCLUDING the NRA, the more clout we all have against bad politicians and they do fear the NRA, GOA and all organizations like them. Think and think again, before speaking negative about anyone fighting for your rights.

Where was the NRA doing during the 1934 NFA legislation?

Why did the NRA support the 1968, 1986 and 1994 firearm legislation?

Why is it that the NRA is more interested in the fudds rather than the ALL firearm owners? The second amendmant isn't about game hunting.

Why did the GOA file the first lawsuit against NOLA and only when the NRA realized that they looked bad did they follow suit and address the situation?

The NRA isn't interested in protecting firearm owners or preventing future leglislation rather then are in it for the money. To say anything different means you have not researched their past.

I will not give money to firearm organizations who don't fight any and all restrictive leglislation. I give money to GOA and OFF.

The NRA taught America to shoot back in WW-I
They are one of the primary trainers for most police accross the country.
They have done more good to maintain our 2nd ammendment than any other organization that exists.
To bad mouth them and not be member and support them is just what the anti's want.
Support them, and I would also suggest you support all true pro gun organizations, like GOA, RKBA, all local arms of the NRA. like OSSA, and OFF, and more less known groups like USCCA in all they do. We win by numbers and voices in all of them. There are a couple so called sportsmen associations out there acting as pro gun when in reality they are fronts for the Anti's, so investiate well before supporting them. The ones I mentioned above are ALL very pro 2nd ammendment.
Stop the badmouthing of the NRA, as it puts you in league with the anti's. They rejoice every time you say anything negative about them. The NRA is big and they need places that are big enough to support their events, but they are also law abiding and when this happens they can use it to change the policy in future events if they want return events. That is a good tool for everyone to use in overturning these draconian policies and laws. The NRA does not like these policies any more than you do. The more members we have in all organizations INCLUDING the NRA, the more clout we all have against bad politicians and they do fear the NRA, GOA and all organizations like them. Think and think again, before speaking negative about anyone fighting for your rights.

Stop the badmouthing of the NRA, as it puts you in league with the anti's.

Think and think again, before speaking negative about anyone fighting for your rights.

I agree with you about badmouthing someone or something that is on your side but at the same time you better say something to the NRA if you don't agree with what they are doing or they will not know you disagree.

They might think you agree with something they are doing or a stance they are taking if you don't say anything.

But be civilized!!! :s0012:

Why did the NRA support the 1968, 1986 and 1994 firearm legislation?

Why is it that the NRA is more interested in the fudds rather than the ALL firearm owners? The second amendmant isn't about game hunting.

Why did the GOA file the first lawsuit against NOLA and only when the NRA realized that they looked bad did they follow suit and address the situation?

The NRA isn't interested in protecting firearm owners or preventing future leglislation rather then are in it for the money. To say anything different means you have not researched their past.

I will not give money to firearm organizations who don't fight any and all restrictive leglislation. I give money to GOA and OFF.

First off I have been a voting life member since 1964 and second back in the 30's they were not yet big enough to influence much of anything politically.
I am starting to wonder how many here are Sarah Brady allies.
As stated I support ALL pro gun organizations.
Period and I do not bad mouth any of them !

unbelievable anti propaganda spilling here............
No wonder Obama got elected...............

You do not kick allies in the groin and expect people to pin a ribbon on you for it.
"Stated as it is!"

be careful, you might be supporting an idea or way that you didn't know by Supporting ALL Pro Gun Organizations.

Sounds dangerous and reckless to me.

I support them all, some more than others.
Yes there are radical ones but every ally we have is deserving of respect. Investigae who you support and support accordingly, but never bad mouth someone on your side. Expose the fakes, AID the allies and leaders.
Support the ones you like, but never badmouth another that is fighting the same battles for methods that just don't quite follow your exact plan.

I support them all, some more than others.
Yes there are radical ones but every ally we have is deserving of respect. Investigae who you support and support accordingly, but never bad mouth someone on your side. Expose the fakes, AID the allies and leaders.
Support the ones you like, but never badmouth another that is fighting the same battles for methods that just don't quite follow your exact plan.

Good post, and I agree except for your support them all statement. Not ALL pro gun people can be allies. There are some real mean freaks out there. Weird o's I tell ya. :nuts:

Why did the NRA support the 1968, 1986 and 1994 firearm legislation? -

Did they really support them? or did they just not put much effort into fighting against them. Back in 68 41 years ago yes it was run and mostly supported by fudds even in 86 but things started to change in 94. supporters have the say so on what battles to fight . you will find now the board has many more supporters of black rifles and the are constantly in court in lobbies fighting for gun rights so if you want to judge them for a fault over 41 years ago thats your right.

Again things have changed but yes used to be mainly supported by fudds so they fought for rights that addressed hunters as they were the largest supporters

Why did the GOA file the first lawsuit against NOLA and only when the NRA realized that they looked bad did they follow suit and address the situation?-

ask them

Well they do spend a lot of money on defending the rights and education, I suppose you may have a bit of a point but is really worth turning away supporters there will always be those wanting to take guns . not sure what your saying other than stop supporting them and lets hand over out gun rights. Throwing mud at gun organizations is a liberal tactic to stir the pot .

I will not give money to firearm organizations who don't fight any and all restrictive leglislation. I give money to GOA and OFF

Thats great you support OFF .we need to make a local stand to keep from ending up like California and and at least your helping out but there is another thread on this very board trowing mud at OFF as well seems you can please everyone

A buddy of mine said "the biggest threat to gun rights is not anti gunners its the pro gunners themselves, quarreling and bickering and cutting their noses of to spite their faces after reading some of the post here as well as as hearing a well known gun shop owner while at his shop boast how he supported measure 5 ( the gun show loop hole) cause it would boost his business
watching a guy at hunter sight end look at a ar15 in the rack with disgust saying i just don't see the point . and fee hunters paying clubs to lease up land that uses to be welcome to hunt for fee hunting craming the rest of the hunters into crowded areas increasing chances for accidents to line someones pocket book. and bad mouthing the organizations that fight for our rights that best they know how.

So if your not happy with the NRA write them a letter and find a organization you like or at least write your congressman

First off I have been a voting life member since 1964 and second back in the 30's they were not yet big enough to influence much of anything politically.
I am starting to wonder how many here are Sarah Brady allies.
As stated I support ALL pro gun organizations.
Period and I do not bad mouth any of them !

unbelievable anti propaganda spilling here............
No wonder Obama got elected...............

You do not kick allies in the groin and expect people to pin a ribbon on you for it.
"Stated as it is!"

I don't get you at all . . . . . .its like your posts that you were blasting me about OC in Portland - which is going fine by the way.

Obama got elected because too many people out there on the center-right drank his kool-aid . . . . ."don't ask me what it is, just trust me, drink it, it will make EVERYONE feel better" HOGWASH!!

Taku, there are many of us that are NRA lifers, and subscribe to or are members of the popular 2A advocates. Some of the ones you mention I'd be worried about, and I'm on the cavalier side of things. You say support a 2A advocate just because he is a 2A advocate? really?

The NRA in some of its focuses, have definitely been drinking the kool-aid to look more centered. We should not put up with that. That is not what my life membership was supposed to pay for - that is not what my contributions pay for - in fact, I stopped contributing to them for this reason.

What you are advocating is the very thing that is wrong with the GOP, which USED TO be the voice of conservatism - not anymore, why? because we should just buy that what they are doing is better than having to accept the liberal left.

No, we should stand up for what we really believe, decide to make a real difference, say what we mean, not what we think we should say so that we don't seem radical, when really all we want is to stand behind the promises that our forefathers gave us, to ensure our freedoms.

What does the bible say about being luke-warm? that is what we should be doing

I don't get you at all . . . . . .its like your posts that you were blasting me about OC in Portland - which is going fine by the way.

Obama got elected because too many people out there on the center-right drank his kool-aid . . . . ."don't ask me what it is, just trust me, drink it, it will make EVERYONE feel better" HOGWASH!!

Taku, there are many of us that are NRA lifers, and subscribe to or are members of the popular 2A advocates. Some of the ones you mention I'd be worried about, and I'm on the cavalier side of things. You say support a 2A advocate just because he is a 2A advocate? really?

The NRA in some of its focuses, have definitely been drinking the kool-aid to look more centered. We should not put up with that. That is not what my life membership was supposed to pay for - that is not what my contributions pay for - in fact, I stopped contributing to them for this reason.

What you are advocating is the very thing that is wrong with the GOP, which USED TO be the voice of conservatism - not anymore, why? because we should just buy that what they are doing is better than having to accept the liberal left.

No, we should stand up for what we really believe, decide to make a real difference, say what we mean, not what we think we should say so that we don't seem radical, when really all we want is to stand behind the promises that our forefathers gave us, to ensure our freedoms.

What does the bible say about being luke-warm? that is what we should be doing

Oh for ___ get off the OC thing. You are like damned flypaper. Carry as you wish.

As for supporting pro gun organizations as stated I support them all in one way or another. If you want to aid and abet the liberals take down any of them, then you make your colors known. There is a time for hard core and a time for tact. They both have their time and place. Badmouthing an enemy is acceptable, but bad mouthing an ally is not ! Like the guy in Gresham that hard cored it at the wrong time............what did he get........his b___ busted. Wrong time, wrong tactics and he lost it all. Stupidity stands on it's own and aiding the Sarah Bradys is damned stupid. Unless the person is in their camp?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top