JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All I could find was black pipe and black powder as a kid. .for some reason there was a spool of cannon fuse lying around too. . I feel robbed that I never had a spud gun.

We had a guy at work once that built a film canister cannon for his desk that used a BBQ grill igniter button and hairspray. Had a program written on his pc to set off an actuator to fire it. He was good until I broke into the program and started firing it when he was not expecting. lol
Mike D and his friends approve.
https://hooktube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE
:)

Me too, and a 16 ounce can at the top. But this was when beer cans were steel.
Called them "Polish Cannons"
This is what we called them. Or Spud Guns depending on the application. I remember a friend advising me to never light one off in an elevator. Said he couldn't hear right for a couple of days. :rolleyes:

I have heard that if you mix charcoal, potassium nitrate, and sulfur in the right proportions you will get home made black powder, which when poured into a length of 2" pipe (as 14 year olds sometimes do) with a cap at each end, and a fuse, you can take an 8" branch out of an oak tree 200 yards away. I have heard also that 14 year olds who do this have to go home and change their underwear immediately after.

And furthermore said teenager , to make effective gunpowder on his 7 or 8th attempt would make a old cylinder sleeve and a couple of Big Block Chevy pistons and mix the constituent parts up in the cylinder sleeve in a moist state and put the goo between the pistons and pump up the shop hydraulic press for a week or so . Said teenager then would scrape it the mix, let it dry and then mill with a hamburger grinder and sieve.

Dont get me started on Nitroglycerine. Possible bad times there.

And furthermore said teenager , to make effective gunpowder on his 7 or 8th attempt would make a old cylinder sleeve and a couple of Big Block Chevy pistons and mix the constituent parts up in the cylinder sleeve in a moist state and put the goo between the pistons and pump up the shop hydraulic press for a week or so . Said teenager then would scrape it the mix, let it dry and then mill with a hamburger grinder and sieve.

Dont get me started on Nitroglycerine. Possible bad times there.
Two words: Picric Acid

We once made "dragster fuel" using, among other things, picric acid. We blew the porcelain out of the spark plug on a lawn mower engine that was mounted in a go-cart frame.

Better than Nitrogen triiodide.
Not as good as orthosilicic acid:
aNzdD2b_700b.jpg

I also heard you can take the launch charge off of fireworks shells, ( to be used for other needs later) and get a much higher launch from a spud gun! :s0155:
Oh you just reminded me that I discovered that bottle rockets will go crazy high up if you launch them from a piece of antenna mast instead of a bottle. You have to remember to move the mast around afterward to get fresh air into it for the next one.

It is rumored that you can make a knee mortar with PVC pipe properly sized for 8 oz bottle rockets. It might be more entertaining to replace the plastic nose cone with a M-80 that has it's fuse inserted in the bursting charge.

I heard somewhere that if you put an M-80 into a plastic baggy with a cup or two of flour, light the fuse, and toss it into the air you will get a fireball roughly 20 feet in diameter. But that's just a rumor, I'm sure.

makes me laugh. We made one years ago when we were not so smart but damn it worked.

Ours was stainless with a piezo lighter ignition. Power by...................................... Acetylene tanks. we could shoot taters through a sheet of plywood. Oh to be young, dumb and...................... having parents to pay your medical bills, again.

When you fill a 55 gal. hefty bag full of 1/2 oxygen and 1/2 acetylene and light it with a match it doesnt burn the same as a full bag of acetylene. The ringing goes away eventually and the burns heal pretty quickly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top