JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every time this comes up the answer is a resounding maybe. What works in my guns may not work in yours. I have to make ammo that works in all guns so save the small rifle primers for small rifle stuff like 30 Carbine.

There is a sticky thread in the reloading section on this as well. Agree with @oremike on the resounding maybe. I like American Handgunner but they only show data for one type of powder (although it looks like they might have tested others). My fear is always with new handloaders who might not have a depth of experience to consider other issues like COAL, % of fill volume, case thickness and many other variables. The video in the sticky thread is from Super Vel who has a bring your own primer program when you send them your primers to use. Looks like they have pressure tested with their loads and different primers. Even in this video there is an anomaly with basic SPP where there is a spike in one of the rounds tested.

Knowing that rounds like 9mm can have large pressure spikes from things like COAL it's definitely a proceed with caution subject for me. Looking at shotgun reloading data is a good learning experience. Many resources have loads listed with one type of hull, shot weight, powder type and wad with only the primer changing. Pressures can be substantially different by swapping out only the primers.

After 40 years around a reloading bench I'm still constantly learning so thank you @Lennie for yet another resource!

I've only been using SRP in all my small primer pistols for the last 10+ years. No problems.
.380 acp to .357 magnum.
I don't modify the springs in any of my guns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top