JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
YEAH......
thats-racist.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tipping-saru-jayaraman-voices-in-food-104500260.html

Aloha, Mark

When the dollar crashes I wonder if people will blame it on how racists the 20 dollar bills were to the nickels and how the nickels feel about being labeled as worthless and the 20s will blame it on the 2 dollar bills! Mother of god it'll be anarchy.

Tips...
It's an acronym in my humble opinion.

To Insure Prompt Service

If it's racist, I don't care.
The term no longer carries the same dire intonation and repugnant feelings it once did.
Way to go leftists on minimizing the issue.

My Dad tips 1 dollar for every time the server comes back to check on the party.

I tip 13% and round up to the nearest dollar.

If you cannot afford to tip, don't go eating out.

Do your own stinking dishes.

Tips...
It's an acronym in my humble opinion.

To Insure Prompt Service

If it's racist, I don't care.
The term no longer carries the same dire intonation and repugnant feelings it once did.
Way to go leftists on minimizing the issue.
When I lived in a state where restaurants did NOT pay Min, due to tips, MANY who worked at a good one LOVED it. Dated a few women who did this they made serious bank working at the "working Joe" kind of places on busy shifts. If they did a good job, they made VERY good money. Had to work their butt off for it but, made really good money for it. I noticed when I moved back up here where they had to make Min wage I saw a hell of a LOT more people doing the job who were indifferent and horrible at the job. You RARELY if ever saw that in places where the Tips were important.

My Dad tips 1 dollar for every time the server comes back to check on the party.

I tip 13% and round up to the nearest dollar.

If you cannot afford to tip, don't go eating out.

Do your own stinking dishes.
It is rare for me to tip nothing even here. It has to be really poor service. I do not blame the staff if the place is too busy and they are trying. If the staff hide in the back after dropping off my food and have to be chased down to get the bill I will leave nothing. A few times I have tipped heavily even though the server could not get back to us as much as I liked because they were running their tail off to try.

Supposedly in some franchises, if the tips were from debit/credit cards; they get divided up equally among all the workers. If the tips were in cash, then the servers can pocket them, and they still get paid the same as official wages :rolleyes:

It is rare for me to tip nothing even here. It has to be really poor service. I do not blame the staff if the place is too busy and they are trying. If the staff hide in the back after dropping off my food and have to be chased down to get the bill I will leave nothing. A few times I have tipped heavily even though the server could not get back to us as much as I liked because they were running their tail off to try.

If someone hand delivers you food, and you ate it and then left dishes for someone to clean. Leave something.

If someone hand delivers you food, and you ate it and then left dishes for someone to clean. Leave something.
I did, I paid the bill and they are making almost $14 an hr here. If for that money the best they can do is drop the food, then hide in the back, the $14 and hour is all they get from me. I will NOT tip people who act like they could care less about the job. They can go flip burgers if they want to act like that.

Supposedly in some franchises, if the tips were from debit/credit cards; they get divided up equally among all the workers. If the tips were in cash, then the servers can pocket them, and they still get paid the same as official wages :rolleyes:
When they started taxing the servers on a percentage of the take I took to NEVER leaving the tip on the plastic I pay with. Always leave it in cash.

When I lived in a state where restaurants did NOT pay Min, due to tips, MANY who worked at a good one LOVED it. Dated a few women who did this they made serious bank working at the "working Joe" kind of places on busy shifts. If they did a good job, they made VERY good money. Had to work their butt off for it but, made really good money for it. I noticed when I moved back up here where they had to make Min wage I saw a hell of a LOT more people doing the job who were indifferent and horrible at the job. You RARELY if ever saw that in places where the Tips were important.

I am married to a woman who bartended her way through college. She went to a very expensive school here in potlandistan. She paid a lot of her way via tips.
It was amazing. She worked at a neighborhood dive. On the nights she worked the place was packed and I was amazed at the money she made.
She worked her butt off and it showed. She enjoyed 95% of the job. Breaking up the drunk fights and the obnoxious turds were the 5% she didn't enjoy.
If it weren't for her wanting to put her degree to use she would have continued for a few more years.

Good service staff are a dying breed across all sectors of the service industry.

Some questions about TIPS.....
1) How does one know which places "share" their tips?
2) Then, some places even share tips with the owners.....is that "right/what you expected"?
3) How do you know which places actually pays the min wage plus tips and which do not?
4) Do you (in a non-tip job) feel cheated, that some people make a great part of their income via tips and don't pay their "fair share" of taxes?
5) Notice the tip jar by the cash register.....do you leave a tip on take out food?
6) How should I feel, about those places that automatically add a tip to my bill?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I'd like to see "Full Disclosure" from every restaurant, etc.... But, I'm not holding my breath.

Last Edited:
1. You don't.
2. That sucks, F those guys.
3. I'm thinking most places pay minimum wage nowadays. Just guessing though.
4. No
5. I like to leave tips on takeout food, it gets split among the staff "usually".
6. You should not go back. I don't.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top