JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your right, this is the first time I've heard of this.

Garrity said Tennison, a sworn peace officer with a limited commission, supervises inmate work crews from the Skamania County Jail. He does not carry a firearm as part of his work, she said.

Although I can see why they don't let this particular doofus carry at work how is he supposed to protect himself and citizens while he's watching the work crews. Perhaps they should replace him with someone more capable?

this is all thats said on KPTV web site.

Man accidentally shoots self at gun show

Posted: Jun 02, 2012 12:43 PM PDT Updated: Jun 02, 2012 12:54 PM PDT

By Jolie Wolfe - email

STEVENSON, WA (KPTV) -
A resident of Stevenson, Washington is being treated for a gunshot wound he received at a gun show this morning.

The Skamania County Sheriff's Office says the shooting was accidental. It happened just before 11 a.m. at the American Legion Hall in Carson.

The 54-year-old man shot himself with a .45 caliber handgun in the upper thigh. He was transported to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center for treatment.

He is expected to recover from his wound.

Although I can see why they don't let this particular doofus carry at work how is he supposed to protect himself and citizens while he's watching the work crews. Perhaps they should replace him with someone more capable?

Portect himself and the public from very low level offenders on a litter picking and brush cutting crew.?

Give the guy some slack, this is not about his job performance... Could be someone else did something stupid or someone slipped a round in a firearm at the G-show??

It is standard procedure for deputies who supervise work release inmates to be unarmed.

Wow. This is the first I've heard of it. You'd think this would give the anti's something else to shout about. If this guy worked at 7-11, would it have been news? Is it because he is a "sworn officer" that it isn't more widely covered?

By the way, I have to agree with EMP9596. This isn't "Cool Hand Luke". The most safe, rational and responsible people can have a gun error. The best drivers can wreck their car. People make mistakes and unfortunately, sometimes it ends with a .45 caliber hole in someone's leg.

I do have to believe though, that if I had shot myself at a gun show, I would probably be facing some sort of charges. That, and I would be too embarrassed to show my face at a gun show in the entire region ever again. Kip.

If you don't know the facts and you don't know the whole story don't assume things and dont trash talk. Simple as that. If you would like to know more read my post.

That man you are talking about is my father it amazes me how ignorant people in this world are. If you don't know the story and you don't know all the facts why would you try to fill in the blanks yourself? It disgusts me what people are saying. Not that it's anyones business but I feel compelled to set people straight. If you haven't noticed it said accidental gun fire. The gun malfunctioned he was not touching it or the trigger so don't assume he was just waving the gun around like an idiot. It was his own personal gun. He has been a cop for over 20 years and has never once had any incident like this ever. What really makes me mad is that this is such a huge thing for people his job has nothing to do with this incident if he was a janitor do you think anyone would care? It was pure bad luck and something horrible that happened to a good guy who yes in fact knows how to handle weapons. Save your trash talking about someone else it's amazing to me that adults talk like this. I'm not answering any questions that's all I'm saying I didn't even owe you that much info but like I said I'm disgusted with what I have seen people say.

I'd sure be interested in what "malfunctioned" to cause it to fire- as someone who carries a locked and cocked pistol every single minute I'm awake and not in the shower...Hope your dad recovers fully

If you don't know the story and you don't know all the facts why would you try to fill in the blanks yourself?.

I can't speak for everone on here, but most of these people are not trying to be disrespectful. But that^^^ is what humans do.......and since the news doesn't tell us what we wanna know, we're gonna try to figure it out! I'm sorry that your father had an accident...nobody here wants bad things to happen but they do, and I think you're gonna have a lot more people to get mad at!

Wow, the gun just spontaneously shot the poor guy, I hope it doesn't shoot any one else. Of course I shouldn't assume anything, I suppose his holster could of had issues and shot him in the leg.

At any rate I am glad no one was killed and the victim should recover nicely.

Sure would be good to find out more information about what happened and whether there was a defect that could affect others. I can't imagine how a gun can simply go off without the trigger being pulled, unless there is something defective in place.

That man you are talking about is my father it amazes me how ignorant people in this world are. If you don't know the story and you don't know all the facts why would you try to fill in the blanks yourself? It disgusts me what people are saying. Not that it's anyones business but I feel compelled to set people straight. If you haven't noticed it said accidental gun fire. The gun malfunctioned he was not touching it or the trigger so don't assume he was just waving the gun around like an idiot. It was his own personal gun. He has been a cop for over 20 years and has never once had any incident like this ever. What really makes me mad is that this is such a huge thing for people his job has nothing to do with this incident if he was a janitor do you think anyone would care? It was pure bad luck and something horrible that happened to a good guy who yes in fact knows how to handle weapons. Save your trash talking about someone else it's amazing to me that adults talk like this. I'm not answering any questions that's all I'm saying I didn't even owe you that much info but like I said I'm disgusted with what I have seen people say.

WOW dude! Can you make yourself look like a bigger cry baby? People have opinions, deal with it!:huh: Its called the internet son, everybody's opinion has as much credit as you give them!

Stopbeingignorant I too hope your father recovers fully. I'm glad that a relative joined in to give us more facts however your post raises even more concerns. You say the pistol fired without him touching it? Was someone else holding it? If so that's an entirely different matter.

If nobody was touching it when it fired please at least tell us the make and model so we can investigate similar incidents. If it was holstered what make/model of holster?

BTW filling in the blanks in the absence of information is pretty common.

Accidents happen thats why they are called accidents, some time bad things happen to good people. Hope he has a speedy recovery and continues his job of protecting and serving.

The gun malfunctioned he was not touching it or the trigger .

well when you collect 5 million from the gun maker for this "gun malfunction" i will believe it was a gun malfunction. It would be much easier to believe a bad holster pulled the trigger. Something else in the gun fanny pack pulled the trigger, something. Guns just dont go off. Someone or something has to pull the trigger and that's negligence any way you slice it. Sure accidents happen, never will with mine but for some sure, but all gun accidents in my opinion can be traced back to bad judgment on the owners part with gun safety when handling or the bad storage of it in a holster or pack.

Sorry if this sounds bad i am just tierd of hearing how these mean old guns just keep going off or "malfunction" on people for no reason. Sorry guns dont just go off.

If this turns into a court case you haven't done your father any favors posting this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top