JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
As news broke today of an innocent civilian being gunned down in MN during a no-knock warrant (article), I thought it timely to have a discussion here.

As a law abiding gun owner, this is probably one of my greatest fears. If someone enters my house unannounced in the middle of the night I will absolutely be grabbing my bedside firearm and enter into fight-or-flight mode. I also know if it's a SWAT team at my door, there is a very high likelihood that being in that situation may result in my death, at no fault to my own.

No-knock warrants seem like a terrible idea to me. I am sure there are several LEO that are members of this community, and I'd love to hear your thoughts here.

Does anyone know the laws surrounding no-knocks in WA/OR?

Last Edited:
I also know if it's a SWAT team at my door, there is a very high likelihood that being in that situation may result in my death,
Do you have any reason(s) to assume a SWAT team would show up at your door?

A suggestion - have a backup plan to exit your house from another door and move FAR AWAY from the 'door' you expect anybody to be at, or be able to move to a secure location that allows you to see what is going on at the 'door' LEO (or anyone else) might show up at.

Last Edited:
I've got no LEO background but I figured I'd comment here with my opinion on both sides of the matter.

Do I think no knock warrants are good for me, the law abiding citizen who is always ready to defend his home and family? No, I do not. I am no threat/risk to anybody other than someone entering my house unannounced or uninvited.

Do I think no knock warrants are good for grabbing up the deranged junkie murderer who's been on the run and the cops know the guy is vulnerable in the middle of the night and won't be a threat to them as he would be when he is out and about with his ghetto blaster on him? Maybe? Depends on who else is in the house (wife/family/children/guests)

I think I'd need to look up stats on the averages of what suspect gets no knock warrants served on them, and the outcome of said no knock warrants, to be able to give an honest opinion on the matter.

But I'll tell you one thing, for me it would be a really bad deal. If I hear my front door get kicked in, my first thought would be "there is a threat and I need to stop it". My first thought would not be "I wonder if a swat team is booting down my door, I better go unarmed and ask them what their business is in my home at 3am"

I've got no LEO background but I figured I'd comment here with my opinion on both sides of the matter.

Do I think no knock warrants are good for me, the law abiding citizen who is always ready to defend his home and family? No, I do not. I am no threat/risk to anybody other than someone entering my house unannounced or uninvited.

Do I think no knock warrants are good for grabbing up the deranged junkie murderer who's been on the run and the cops know the guy is vulnerable in the middle of the night and won't be a threat to them as he would be when he is out and about with his ghetto blaster on him? Maybe? Depends on who else is in the house (wife/family/children/guests)

I think I'd need to look up stats on the averages of what suspect gets no knock warrants served on them, and the outcome of said no knock warrants, to be able to give an honest opinion on the matter.

But I'll tell you one thing, for me it would be a really bad deal. If I hear my front door get kicked in, my first thought would be "there is a threat and I need to stop it". My first thought would not be "I wonder if a swat team is booting down my door, I better go unarmed and ask them what their business is in my home at 3am"
I've never been crazy about serving no-knock warrants. I'm not a SWAT guy, so it was pretty rare until they were banned. Mostly we set up surveillance and try to pinch someone once they left the house. Keeps third parties out of it. Now that pursuits are pretty much banned, that's not going to be easy either.

I've never been crazy about serving no-knock warrants. I'm not a SWAT guy, so it was pretty rare until they were banned. Mostly we set up surveillance and try to pinch someone once they left the house. Keeps third parties out of it. Now that pursuits are pretty much banned, that's not going to be easy either.
Yeah I know you're LEO. I feel bad for you guys especially guys like you who are in "the know". Knowing what guys like us have, and knowing what the bad guys also have. Like damn do I really need to kick this door in today and possibly not make it back home to my family?

I have a trap door at the entry that falls into my dungeon.
bring-out-the-gimp.jpg

Yeah I know you're LEO. I feel bad for you guys especially guys like you who are in "the know". Knowing what guys like us have, and knowing what the bad guys also have. Like damn do I really need to kick this door in today and possibly not make it back home to my family?
One reason I don't even like kicking doors anymore is we have to stand out there yelling and using the PA and giving them plenty of time to get ready before entry.

Now, if you know you're going to force entry, get on the PA so everyone can hear you. Tell everyone who can hear who you're looking for. Then tell them how much stuff is about to get broken. Toss a couple flash bangs in the yard. Usually if there's anyone else in the house, they'll realize it's best just to throw the guy out or at least open the door.

One reason I don't even like kicking doors anymore is we have to stand out there yelling and using the PA and giving them plenty of time to get ready before entry.

Now, if you know you're going to force entry, get on the PA so everyone can hear you. Tell everyone who can hear who you're looking for. Then tell them how much stuff is about to get broken. Toss a couple flash bangs in the yard. Usually if there's anyone else in the house, they'll realize it's best just to throw the guy out or at least open the door.
Sounds like military intelligence right there.

No knock warrants should be illegal. This isn't bubbleguming Afghanistan. G-men breaking into homes in the middle of the night sounds pretty bubbleguming Orwellian. First it's just thugs and gang bangers. Then its "red flag" gun owners, then it's anyone the government deems a threat, repub or democrat.
Time to nip this in the bud

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews