Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NO hot meals when shift end? Marines at Camp in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by explorerimports, Jun 1, 2013.

1. explorerimports

explorerimports WA Active Member

As of June 1, Camp Leatherneck in southwestern Afghanistan will close its 24-hour sandwich bar and stop producing the hot meals traditionally offered during the midnight-ration service. According to NBC News, Marine Corps lieutenant colonel Cliff Gilmore explained that the scaling down of services will allow for food workers to return home “before the people who provide the security for those services.”

Rather than offering a hot meal to troops beginning or ending their shifts at midnight, the base will now only provide a “Meal, Ready to Eat,” known as an MRE. These pre-packaged meals supply the necessary calories to soldiers but aren’t considered terribly good for morale. Babette Maxwell, founder of Military Spouse, said that these changes in dining services will deprive Marines of the “social sustenance” that comes from sitting down to midnight rations together.

Gilmore wrote that the reduction in hot meals is “a natural outcome of the drawdown process unrelated to sequestration or the ongoing going budget issues,” but Marines and their family members believe that cuts should be made in other areas instead of imposing a limited menu on hungry, hard-working soldiers.

No More Midnight Meals for Marines at Camp in Afghanistan | National Review Online

Video below:

[video]http://www.newsy.com/videos/marines-upset-over-reduced-hot-meals/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+Newsy-world+(Newsy.com+World+Videos+Feed)#ooid=hzYzEzYzq bpni-IbP_ujsiA74wUjWfSr[/video]

2. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

What's the big deal? DHS needed the money for new uniforms. You gotta prioritize*

* ^This is sarcasm. If I had the funds I go there and feed them myself. I am so ashamed of how these guys are being treated in a war zone that I can't stand it.

3. TRD1911

TRD1911 Kitsap, A-stan Member

I understand that comfort items are great but lets not forget that this is a war. The current state of the Corps is concerning. There are Marines in distant FOBs that get to shower once a month and ration everything that makes it out to them and these "fobbits" are complaining about hot food? Heaven forbid they eat combat chow in a war zone (if you can call Leatherneck that). Are there other places that cut-backs can be made? Sure. MRE's have come a long way and are often better than what can be found in the chow halls. Add this to the Suck and carry on.

Edit 7/26/13 - I am currently on the adjacent compound to Leatherneck (Bastian). If anyone can complain about this place then they are not fit for deployment.

iusmc2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a friend who while in Vietnam in 71-72 was in the field for 74 days only resupplied from the air. Was in the same BDU's for the whole time. Ended up tearing out the seat of his pants because it was easier with the dysentery then to have to stop to pull them down. There were lots of guys treated that way towards the end of the Vietnam war. Nothing new..

5. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

They're Marines... they'll get over it.

Semper Fi

6. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Midnight chow was/is the worst chow the cowhall serves all day. It was that way when I was in 20 odd years ago and it was the same way the whole three years I was in AFG. Nothing has changed. So they haven't lost much when they decided to stop serving midnight chow.

MRE's have come a very long way. There were times in AFG I choosed to eat them instead of in the chowhall.

7. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

We could supply them with Circa 1970 LRRP rations, Mmmmmmm, those were good... Compared to C-Rations, especially the "scrambled eggs & ham" I knew No One who could eat those Rations...

And I often saw Dated C-Rats with 1954, or later on them...

I feel for them troops, for a Lot of reasons... But not the chow line at MidNight... Sorry.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I spent a whole lot of nights on mid-watch or the 20-2400 watch. Most of the time mid-rats was lousy cold cuts. Sometimes a few leftovers, and rarely hot soups and maybe eggs. So don't ask me to feel sorry for a bunch of jarheads who don't get a hot meal at midnight.
    They would perfer a hot bath and a cold drink of water

9. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Notice that's it's not the troops bi***ing. At least not publicly.

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ate "C's" five days out of ten for the better part of two years. They ran from 1943-1946! The scrambled eggs and ham were number two on the inedible list. The big winner was Ham and Lima Beans! Ugh!

I just hope every one of those Marines makes it home in one piece.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  11. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

Aaaaand how many of those mids were served in an actual combat zone? Like, actually, possibly, probably getting shot at? Rocketed, mortared? Not in a "combat zone", on the water (unless you were facing U-boats in WW2). Don't ask me to have any sympathy for your cold-cut-mid-rats in the relative safety of a ship's mess decks. If you served them on a sub, that just puts the icing on the cake because you KNOW that as soon as you got done with the mid watch, you got to crawl into a nice, warm rack that still smelled of your hot-rack buddy's *** sweat that you so loved! :thumbup:

12. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I thought those were pretty good

Amen to that

13. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I remember C's with 40's dates.
    I suspect they quit making them and used up old stocks in the mid-seventies.
    No food to eat for a couple days at a time must have blunted my "pickyness"
    LRP's certainly helped, tasted like cardboard, would not rehydrate.
    When there was opportunity even soaking for a day wouldn't work.
    Prepared me for being a parent.
    Kids would demand something else for dinner, refuse to eat.
    The wife would make them what they wanted.
    I would tell them "Thanks, more for me!"

MRE's were definitely edible. Started getting them early '80's.
    The accessory packet came with a tiny bottle of Macklhny's Tabasco Sauce.

1 person likes this.
  14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Mmmmm... 1st gen. MRE's, chocolate nut (no bake) cake, maple nut (no bake) cake, chicken ala king, beans & franks, dehydrated beef or pork patty, dehydrated ketchup, freeze dried fruit coctail, beef "strokin' off".

I remember my platoon having live off of nothing else but those for a month, sometimes we only got to eat once or twice a day (if the air drops could't find us in the jungle)... funny thing was you only dropped a duece MAYBE once every 10-14 days eating the stuff... square brick on deck!

15. Will

Will Everett Active Member

These Marines are in a hard part of the world and thank God they will all be away from there in the future. I don't get why you would pull the support folks (those in the rear with the gear) before we are able to pull the brave Marines that are truly fighting. I expect it's about numbers, the President wants to show he's bringing troops home in numbers but it doesn't matter much until he brings home the troops on the front line. The troops that are in danger are still there and face the danger just now when they get off the line those that were there to support them have gone home. Those troops are use to eating MRE's so it truly won't effect them much but in my humble opinion deserve a hot meal when they are off the line. Sort of a thank you for doing what you do, the least we can do.

Navman and (deleted member) like this.
  16. PiratePast40

duplicate post

17. PiratePast40

They're tearing down infrastructure so the chow halls and other support buildings are being disassembled. The elaborate facilities are disappearing so no place for the support personnel to work. A good part of that is that there are fewer civilians and fewer troops needed to provide protection for them. I would have thought it would have been easier to just put a match to everything for demob, but they don't want to leave stuff behind.

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wow, you win the eat anything remotely edible reward! Some times we would actually eat the Ham and Lima Beans for the half can of nasty WW-2 fat in them. It helped at -30F. If you were reduced to Scrambled Eggs and Ham you were in the poo locker indeed!

Again, be careful Marines! Get out of there whole!

19. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

We sent care boxes to the boys, the oldest just retired after 20 yrs as a EOD bomb tech, 12 deployments. They were shared all around, and we were told it was like christmas when they got them. You would be surprised how many of these fellas don't receive much of anything. MRE"S get damned old after awhile, I know. To take the "possibly" one hot meal away is wrong. God bless our troops.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  20. PiratePast40

We've sent care packages to a nephew who is back in the sandbox again. This time, they're disassembling all of the US buildings and infrastructure they've built and retrieving equipment. He's typically working at FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) so doesn't get much in the way of conveniences. The little things like sugar packets for their coffee, instant coffee, tea bags, candy, beef jerky, and energy bars are really appreciated when they're no where near what the western world considers civilization.