1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

No green thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rufus, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

In the line at the store, the cashier told an old lady that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. But there once was a thing called common sense!

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day. We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. We washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember those?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then. People took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

Isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were?
    branson4020, nwo, mjbskwim and 21 others like this.
  2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

you brought back some good memories rufus, well said! except for the push mower, i hated those things.
  3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In the late 40's my grandmother collected up clothes and various small items to send to the people of Europe to help get them back on their feet after WWII.

She then took up mending all the familys clothes those we out grew she mended and took to a consignment shop run by the YWCA and sold them. This was in the 60's thru the mid 1980's
    She collected Newspapers and took them to the paper recycler some loads were so heavy we thought grandpas 1956 Chevy wagon was going to break. Again starting in the early 60's
    She washed and flattened all her tin cans and stored them in an old hop basket until they hauled them to the metal recycler. All glass was treated the same way sorted by color of course.
    She had grandpa install a huge wash tub next to the washing machine so that she could reuse the wash water and save the soap for 2 or more loads Whites first Towels next shirts and dresses followed by the work clothes and Kids clothes. The rinse water left everything super clean. All summer long everything that came out of that Washing Machine went on the clothes line out back. During the winter she only ran her dryer until stuff was about half dry then it was hung up on lines in the laudry room to finish (the laundry room was were the furnace was so it was always dry)

She collected POP BEER cans and bottles and took them back to the store. We got our milk in 5 gallon cans from Her Son in Laws brother that owned a dairy.

Grandma had Garage Sales that ran half the summer it seamed like all to sell the familys cast offs and the stuff her she who cleaned houses for rich people in Portland tossed away.

They raised a Huge Garden Grandma Canned Fruits and Vegies form their graden and things they didn't grow came from the local farmers She
    made jams and jellys from everything you can imagine. Marion Berries Black berries Evergreen berries Straw Berries Cherries (Along with PIES I loved) Apples Cherries Apricots Crab apples Concord Grapes all were grown at grandmas and grandpas house.

In 1956 Grandpa bought a Chevy Wagon. He drove it until after I got my drivers licence in it in 1974 He used it to haul his ladders (he did remodeling and house painting with a BRUSH) Then in 1975 They bought a 1965 Chevy Malibu Wagon used from the local firechief. Grandpa had that car when he died in 1981. So in 25 years he only used two automobiles.

My Grandfather straightened nails that might be in the wood he brought home from his jobs. The wood went into racks in the garage to be used in future projects. the nails went into a large flat box on his bench also to be used later. He cleaned his paint brushes in jars of paint thinner that he would label and date. And allow the paint particles to settle out of so the thinner could be reused.

Grandpa did almost all his wood cutting with a pair of fine quality Stanley hand saws. He had them along with his tablesaw and skill saw (yes his was actually made by skill) blades resharpened at the local saw filers shop. In the Whole time I knew my Grandfather he owned 1 pocket knife and 1 flashlite I have both both still work great.

Grandpa often walked the 3-4 miles into town if what he needed was easy enough to carry. It was good for him and gave him time to think about his studies of the Bible.

In the 24 years I knew my Grandfather he listen to ONE RCA Tube radio He had TWO telephones (only because they changed the way the phone system worked)

GREEN now days GREEN is a fricken Marketing plan from people that have no clue.
    sheepdip, redmud, pdx lefty and 5 others like this.
  4. rufus

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

the liberals decided these plastic bags were the way to go back 20 years ago when they all moved up here from californication.

we used to have an oregon where men were loggers and planters of new trees to thin the old dead trees that were bug infested and no longer filtering c02.they would plant young trees that could better absorb co2 while giving people a job logging the old growth so we could all live spread out through the beautiful state of oregon.

then the californian liberals decided that since their liberal laws and ways ruined their state they would move to oregon but rather than changing their thought process they brought their foolish views to our state and stopped the logging because they didn't like the way clearcut looked when they went to the country once a summer.

so they needed new plastic bags to replace the paper bags since it was so much better for the enviroment,haha.
    now we are all crammed into the city which most of us country boys hate since there are no jobs anywhere but the city and now we are forced to live with the liberal types we hate so much and those plastic bags that were supposed to be so great for the enviroment are now a problem?

and those old trees are not being logged but yet we still have global warming?but were using your plastic liberal bags now so why is mother earth still dying?

see a pattern here?their laws always come back to show how flawed they are yet they keep changing things that have worked for hundreds of years.
    next will be our gun bans but in 20 years when crime goes up will the liberals realize they made yet another mistake and undo their flawed laws?heck no they wont....when will people wake up to these fools and quit letting them ruin our state/country?

the more"educated"people get the more stupid they get.the old folks of oregon had it right,they didn't need a hippy professor to indoctrinate them about how to care for the earth,they used to use a thing called common sense.
  6. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

Mark, your story got me thinking about a book i read, witch is the history of my place of employment. I work at a group home that was once an orphanage that dates back to the 1880s. There is a chapter called the war years and it details what those kids did for the war effort. The ones not old enough (yet) to volunteer for service had scrap metal drives, victory gardens and bought war bonds with what little money they had. I think anyone that lived through that knows more about renew, reuse and recycle than the entitled kid at the grocery store.

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  7. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

We had a push mower the entire time I was growing up, I spent many a sweaty hour behind one of those contraptions.

My dad bought a riding mower the week after I moved out. I asked him why he waited so long to finally buy a powered mower and his answer was "I never needed one before." To this day I curse him.
  8. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

Eff a bunch of wanna be Earth Warriors, you'd think they invented 'enviromental sensitivity, biodiversity,sustainability' everyone knows it was the UN
  9. rufus

Growing up, my older sister was every parent's dream. Never got into trouble or did anything wrong. I was the exact opposite. For my sister's 16th birthday, she got a car (used, but nice for a first car). On my 16th birthday I got a brand new push mower. My dad even wrote Ferrari on the grass catcher in red spray paint just to rub it in.
  10. rufus

Forgot to add that I never used it, not once. Left home for good shortly after, but not because of the mower.