JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got my new to me P-07 Duty out for its second range trip today. First trip wasn't great, slick grip was hard to hang onto, the sights were way off, and the range holster I'd ordered was making a US tour on its way to my door, thanks, UPS :rolleyes:! Was really questioning if I'd made the right choice for an EDC. But over the course of the intervening week, things started showing up.

First was a set of Talon grips, I had these on my XDs, and I've pretty much decided they're a must do for a polymer pistol.

Next, I decided I didn't really like the thumb safety. It was very low profile, which made it hard to operate. Plus, it just didn't feel that positive, not a good thing for someone that carries AIWB :confused:! As this is a Canadian spec gun, it came without the decocker parts, so I ordered what I needed and made the switch. Pretty straightforward, although the spring is every bit the PITA that everyone says it is.

Didn't have any tools with me at the range to deal with the sights, but a couple minutes with a hammer, brass drift, and laser bore sighter once I got home had it looking in the right direction, and I took the tools with me for fine tuning, if needed. Happy to say, it wasn't.

Last but not least, my range holster, a Comp-Tac International, finally showed up yesterday, a full week behind schedule. This can be set up as a belt slide, paddle, or drop offset, plus the cant can be adjusted. I played around with the various configurations, but settled on the paddle, at least for now. Reasonably easy to get on and off, stays put, and has good retention while still being easy and fast on the draw. Definitely not a concealment holster, but it hid well enough under an unbottoned/untucked work shirt that I didn't draw any funny looks at the grocery store.

So after an eventful week, I headed back to the range today. Had 3 pistols with me today, the CZ, my EAA Witness, and my Colt 1911. The latter is sort of my control, even though I prefer DA/SA's and decockers, I tend to shoot the 1911 the best. And last trip, the Witness was almost as good, so the CZ had some proving to do. I decided to warm up with some basic bullseye shooting at 10 yards, starting with the CZ, mostly to see if the sights still needed some tweaking. No need, put 30 rounds through it, all stayed in the black. BIG improvement over the previous trip :D!

From there, I moved to the TDA Dot Torture at 3 yards. As it's a new gun for me, and this was only my second time out since July, I wasn't trying to set any speed records, just trying to stay focused on draw, press out, sight focus, and trigger press. And it paid off, and although far from perfect, it was one of the best performances I've managed on that particular drill. The CZ was smooth, accurate, and completely under my control, although I have to admit, I pretty much sucked weak hand only :oops:. I was especially impressed with the DA trigger pull. My other DA/SA guns are a serious struggle to even get the DA shot on the paper, much less in the dot. Not the CZ! As the day progressed, not only was I putting the DA shot in the center of the dot, but then the SA follow up shot would be right on top of it. Definitely a first for me, and I can't wait to do it again:cool:!

The 1911 was still slightly better, but the CZ was definitely hard on its heels. The Witness was just along for the ride, although I still like its ergonomics better than the P-07, the trigger isn't nearly as good, especially DA, and that just took it out of the running. Still a nice piece, but it's just outclassed by the CZ. Enough crowing, time for bed. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top