JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Case clearly not ‘closed’ in ‘Seattle woodcarver’ shooting

Today’s announcement by King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg that criminal charges will not be filed against Seattle Police Officer Ian Birk in the Aug. 30, 1010 shooting death of woodcarver John T. Williams will leave many people doubting the criminal justice system, and it is clear that this case is still not "closed."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

This I have to agree with as there are different sets of laws for people. I am in the crappy set and hope I never find out. Ahhhhh the justice system is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

What this tells me is that I now have to defend myself from police as well since they could murder me and get away with it.

State of Oregon v. Oliphant

Oregon Judicial Department Appellate Court Opinions

Oregon recognizes your right to defend yourself from brute cops.

Like this:
I'm drunk and I'm driving. Cops pulls me over, and attempts to make an arrest, but I fight back.

I just resisted arrest, and that is not Lawful.

BUT...

If I'm a woodcarver, innocently walking down a public street with the tools of my trade, and a cop rushes me at gunpoint.... I could fight back.

Last Edited:
On top of this special treatment of a cop, our state legislatures are trying to put thru a bill to have a Blue Alert (like the amber alert) system to help protect cops, hey what about the rest of us?
While most cops are good people, if their powers and special protection is left unchecked, we will soon have a "Jack Booted, para-military police force here. Everyone with any authority in this state ie. park ranger, game agent, dog catcher, & etc. now gears up like a SWAT member and have broad police powers over the public. We are fast becomming the type of nation we have always fought against in the past.

The officer in question has resigned, but still faces internal inquiry.
<broken link removed>

I said it in another thread about this.
The officer may in fact have feared for his life.He wasn't cut out for the job.
He needed to resign.
Not sayin his actions were forgivable in any light.Just saying HE MAY HAVE FEARED for his life.Making him not good for a police officer.

Remember guys,this kid,somehow,passed all the requirements to become a cop.
The only thing they can't really test them on is a REAL LIFE situation like this. Maybe if he had a partner,he wouldn't have shot. Maybe he was thrown to the "wood carvers" too soon.

I have never felt at risk of my life downtown Seattle.With or without my gun or work tools.

This poor kid f*u*cked up.Now he and his family have to live with it.

Again,I don't believe he was justified in killing this man.

Well the sad truth is LEOs are facing a more dangerous job every year. Heck everyday.
Criminals aren't afraid of our justice system and jails are only houses to help improve the criminal mind and make people more heartless and hateful. Along with that mental diseases ar on the rise and police have no way of dealing with these kinds of problems.

As sick as it is we've gotten to a point where whoever shoots first wins.

Look at how many Police officer's have been gunned down this year compared to years before.
Believe it or not our country has been building a war for years and that war is coming to a head. Where your either on the good side, or the bad.
As most of you know in war good people die. Did the cop jump the gun? Yes. Does he deserve to spend the rest of his life in jail, Heck no.
If you think you can do better then go do it! Or you have no right to condemn this guy.
Go walk around downtown at night, go to china town, go to killingsworth and stroll through the parks. And tell me you don't want more cops out there.

It's easy to say he was wrong, or police are abusive, or they shoot too soon when you have a job where you can be assured your safe. Try dealing with the worst of society everyday and knowing most of the people you dealing with would kill you and not feel any remorse.

If someone was walking through my yard at night with a knife, I would shoot them. I wouldn't wait for them to make a move, or take the chance of them getting at my family.

But your right, the LEOs get treated better than we do. And that's the problem, we should be able to protect ourselves and our families as the LEOs get to in these dangerous times.

Officer's killed by gunfire in the line of duty by year.

2008-40
2009-47
2010-59
So far in 2011-13 where will we end up this year?

Got a link to your numbers? I have 38 for 2008 and that was the lowest number since 1956.... so to start your numbers in 2008 seems to me suspect, an attempt to show a trend up for some reason?

In any event, officers shot in the line of duty, while tragic, has nothing really to do with this thread... unless you think a cop gets a pass at shooting citizens because of irrational fears for their lives? Where's your statistic showing how many officers shot unarmed citizens? That may be more in line with the topic of this thread....

Interesting to see all the self indugent cop haters on this site. So ready to rush to judgement. Listened to the "Chief" of Seattles P.D on the the boobtube and heard the the statement the officer didn't follow procedure and identify himself as a policeman. What a sad state of affairs,do you think driving up in a patrol car, wearing a police uniform isn't enough to identify yourself. My point is the cover your tail administrators are laying the groundwork already for thier salvation of any wrong doing hiring this person. The Thin Blue line is out there 24/7 covering our fannies, this fellows future is going to be a horrid mess, why the "First Nations of Canada" are in there stirring up the pot, If I recall you can't have a gun in Canada anymore, they don't have any rights up there. But the mob has taken to the streets. So all you cop haters, get in your car and join the mob and forget about laws. Let the system work its way thru this. Spad.

Don't have to be a cop hater to question when public servants take the life of civilians. It should ALWAYS be questioned thoroughly! When government has unquestioning ability to dispose of the citizenry then we are all screwed.

So all you cop haters, get in your car and join the mob and forget about laws. Let the system work its way thru this. Spad.

Hah, let the same system that callously let a murderer off the hook and apply double standards for cops against civilians. Translation: shut up and fund our pensions.

Interesting that you argue this dirtbag's "life is ruined" and that seems to be enough punishment and that's the price to pay for the "Thin Blue Line". If that's the price to pay then I don't want this so-called "protection" funded with tax money extracted with the threat of imprisonment.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads