JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need a quick refresher. Was out running errands and ran into a no carry sign out side a grocery store. I went about my business and finished getting what I needed but it got me thinking of the penalties if any for getting caught carrying in such a place. I believe they just have to ask you to leave or its trespassing. This is not in reference to government buildings or court houses, just private or corporate places of business.

WA State law determines where you cannot carry (courthouse, bar, etc). If a business feels they want a "safe space" from guns that obviously go off on their own, they can post a sign.

You can carry (concealed) on all other locations and if asked to leave you should, otherwise you can be charged with trespassing after (and if) the police arrive.

If I am asked to leave I ask to speak with the Manager/Owner and I respond with "I will leave immediately and take my business to your competitor. I'll also tell all my friends and relatives about this and they won't use your business either."

This has been Starbucks' approach, along with refusing to serve police, and their business has suffered for it.

Since the gun is always at fault for all "gun violence" shootings and the criminal is never at fault, then by their logic, the gun is also at fault for clinging onto an innocent person walking into their establishment. Bad gun!

Need a quick refresher. Was out running errands and ran into a no carry sign out side a grocery store. I went about my business and finished getting what I needed but it got me thinking of the penalties if any for getting caught carrying in such a place. I believe they just have to ask you to leave or its trespassing. This is not in reference to government buildings or court houses, just private or corporate places of business.
The term you're looking for is "force of law."

Specifically, the sign in Oregon does not have force of law. It is a simple request by the establishment and one that you can legally ignore.

That being said, if they ask you to leave, then you are trespassing if you stay. So you do need to leave if asked.

The only exception are places that are specifically called out as being no gun zones in the law (gov buildings, public schools?, etc.) For these places, it absolutely is against the law to be there armed.

IANAL - and the above was not advice. If you're worried about such things, seek proper council.

IKEA has a "no guns" sign, but it's the silhouette of a Beretta 92F, however I EDC Glocks and a NAA Pug as a bug, so it didn't apply to me and I went right in and bought some cheap Swedish branded crap made in Vietnam for our guest room.
Oh and the pic is of a kbar so if you have a micro tec you are good to go swoop in there and grab your Swedish a meat-a-balls yumpin yimminy !

The term you're looking for is "force of law."

Specifically, the sign in Oregon does not have force of law. It is a simple request by the establishment and one that you can legally ignore.

That being said, if they ask you to leave, then you are trespassing if you stay. So you do need to leave if asked.

The only exception are places that are specifically called out as being no gun zones in the law (gov buildings, public schools?, etc.) For these places, it absolutely is against the law to be there armed.

IANAL - and the above was not advice. If you're worried about such things, seek proper council.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Not too worried, if I suck so much at concealing my pistol I probably need to leave anyway.

Call up some gang bangers and tell them it's a free for all "everything gata go sale" at that establishment and I bet they would change their tune really quick.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top