JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cocked and ready to shoot...

Yeah, T'was before I put her away that night. To save the spring I always decock it, keep hold on the piece to drop it slow. Take care of a rifle and it'll take care of you, even if just on the range.
@Meravokas and the headspace is correct and it shoots quiet well!
View attachment 706899

Boy, that does reassure me on the front sight drift aside from the fact that I'm glad a $350 barrel shoots straight! :s0015:
Obviously I might still have to adjust it some for my eyes if I push for the 200 yard targets at the range. But... With my eyes being kind crappy those would likely be my finishing shots for the day anyhow!

How/why would you adjust sights that are on, for eyes?

Everyone's eyes, length of pull, head position and shoulder position are all different and can shift the way sights are accurately pictured for an individual. Hard fixed iron sights take time for a person to get used to and learn their own holds. At least with windage you can tailor a no.4 to your own accurate point of aim/impact. If you have a windless condition and know your Zero, but put your front sight on the middle of the target and it doesn't hit center within the deviation of the rifle's tolerances, the horizontal zero is not proper for your eyesight. That's why even experienced shooters can take precision shots with their rifle, take the same stock rifle with the same vertical zero from someone else, and fire a a group off to a different side or inaccurately altogether.

Thank you for attempting to explain that, but it doesn't make any sense to me - if the sights line up, the sights line up, whether the gun fits you during all that is something else.

I guess i struggle to see how you could have the sights line up in more than one way, to me, they either do, or do not.

Thank you for attempting to explain that, but it doesn't make any sense to me - if the sights line up, the sights line up, whether the gun fits you during all that is something else.

I guess i struggle to see how you could have the sights line up in more than one way, to me, they either do, or do not.

That's exactly the point though. A rifle fits everyone differently. Just because the front and rear sights align precisely along the bore doesn't mean that with the different fit on the person means that the rifle is going to hit center with how they see the sights from their angle. Otherwise there would be no reason to have drift only windage on a front sight. If you were to want active windage adjustment in combat you'd have to have it built into the rear sight. Plus a rear sight is easier to adjust for the average person because it's literally just left and right, not right to left relative to the adjustment needed.

@Meravokas

I'll let you in on something. When you close the bolt it cocks the firing pin. If you pull the trigger while your closing the bolt it doesn't cock the firing pin. ;)

I do find it a little Ironic that a Long Branch receiver has Ol England stamped in on it, but it's amusing at least.:s0112:

20181001_151034.jpg

That's exactly the point though. A rifle fits everyone differently. Just because the front and rear sights align precisely along the bore doesn't mean that with the different fit on the person means that the rifle is going to hit center with how they see the sights from their angle. Otherwise there would be no reason to have drift only windage on a front sight. If you were to want active windage adjustment in combat you'd have to have it built into the rear sight. Plus a rear sight is easier to adjust for the average person because it's literally just left and right, not right to left relative to the adjustment needed.

The only think i can see you referring to would be the ability to line up the sights with your eye, but this have nothing to do with how the sights are adjusted.

If the sights are lined up and barrel is aiming and hitting in the right place, then they're lined up, if it doesn't shoot in that location when someone else shoots it, it's because their eyes are not lined up with the sights at the same time as the sights are lined up with each other. It doesn't matter about any of that other stuff, the only things that are needed for the shot to be on target, are the front and rear sights to be aligned along with the shooters eye, at the same time.

The only think i can see you referring to would be the ability to line up the sights with your eye, but this have nothing to do with how the sights are adjusted.

If the sights are lined up and barrel is aiming and hitting in the right place, then they're lined up, if it doesn't shoot in that location when someone else shoots it, it's because their eyes are not lined up with the sights at the same time as the sights are lined up with each other. It doesn't matter about any of that other stuff, the only things that are needed for the shot to be on target, are the front and rear sights to be aligned along with the shooters eye, at the same time.

And if the point at which they're comfortable holding and shooting the rifle isn't at the direct bore axis aim point, you adjust it until it lines up to that point of aim. I mean, it's a little apples to oranges but still is applicable to open sights to a degree. Why put horizontal adjustment on a pistol's rear sight if not for the way an individual sees the sights? Some pistols have this functionality and there's no reason as to why there would be that adjustment ability if not for static aim adjustment for the shooter, since you're not shooting at any range where such adjustment would be practical in speed over simply using a slight lead in aim.

Because then you put your accuracy not on the sights, which is a repeatable circumstance, and move it to how the person shoulders the forearm, which isn't repeatable to the same accuracy you'd require.

I see where you're going, but i think that's a pretty odd way of trying to work around not being able to hold the firearm correctly. :s0155:

Because then you put your accuracy not on the sights, which is a repeatable circumstance, and move it to how the person shoulders the forearm, which isn't repeatable to the same accuracy you'd require.

I see where you're going, but i think that's a pretty odd way of trying to work around not being able to hold the firearm correctly. :s0155:

Well, again, sometimes a rifle can't be held comfortably in what's considered a traditional and proper fashion. Plus when it comes to military arms, (The brits/commonwealth during WW2) were actually about trying to help customize at least the first issued rifle to a solider. They had three different length butt stocks that were made and they weren't just slapped onto random rifles... Well, okay they probably were but were doled out to the troops that they fit best whenever possible. Plus, again, it would be pointless to make a front sight actively windage adjustable by drift or tool only if it was meant to be done in the field. You'd run a rear sight adjustment with a fixed front blade or post.

And lets just put it this way. Unless Tim drifted the sight to center line (I didn't look too close.) my No.4's front post isn't directly aligned with the bore Yet at 90 yards appears to punch center. So, what does that say despite the barrel being brand new and straight?

People can have a different line of sight on the same rifle. No need to argue and congratulations on getting a new barrel and having a gun like many of mine. One that shoots better than I do... :s0019:

People can have a different line of sight on the same rifle. No need to argue and congratulations on getting a new barrel and having a gun like many of mine. One that shoots better than I do... :s0019:

That's exactly what I was getting at. And thank ya. Maybe if they let me hang a modest plate at 100 or 150 at the range I'll buy like a ten inch round and spray paint it an ungodly bright shade of orange. Compensate for my sight that way. :s0112:

Well, good news and bad news! Good news. I got out into the foot hills with friends this last Saturday and in total shot off forty rounds between all of us. Three quarters of which were my own shooting. Well... A little less. Roughly sixteen rounds were fired out of my hands. Had a little bit of extraction tightness on the last one to two rounds out of ten. Cold or hot (Snaked the barrel after the first ten and second ten for break in cleaning) didn't seem to make a difference. With the combination of eyes and handling. Shot pretty straight but was around only 25 yards, so had to hold low and I'm a novice at best anyways. Bad news. Magazine does need to be replaced, dunno how I missed it, but my friend noticed a hitch by the sixth round. Rust inside the mag, like a proper patch of rust, and that the follower is misaligned likely due to someone having stored it with two rounds for a long period. All of which caused some feeding and extracting issues. Last two rounds in particular tended to be anemic and weren't actually ejected roughly a third of the time, just coming to rest loose on the follower. And I noticed that someone took a hard grinder to the bolt head track, (inner flat not the rail) making me feel like a blind idiot. The chamber stick can be put to break in as well as my ammo being MEN surplus, but it'll be a bit before I have the free money to buy some PPU for new manufacture to fire. Usually cheaper than S&B, plus PPU actually bevels the edges, meaning I don't have to care about how the rims stack!

Last Edited:
Find the shortest bolt head when it's rechambered they are numbered from zero for the shortest to four for the longest. This was how the brits adjusted headspace. Problem is the threes and fours are getting hard to come by. This way in the future you can go from a zero to a one or two easily.

Find the shortest bolt head when it's rechambered they are numbered from zero for the shortest to four for the longest. This was how the brits adjusted headspace. Problem is the threes and fours are getting hard to come by. This way in the future you can go from a zero to a one or two easily.
I don't remember off the top of my head if it's mentioned earlier in the thread, (It's late and I'm lazy) but the head I have is a zero and of course what it was head spaced to when the barrel was replaced. As for future replacement, with a modern barrel and using modern ammo with fairly light use, chamber wear is going to be of very low concern I'm not running cordite load ammo or anything. Not that I'd really want to use ammo THAT old in first place. I looked at my spent cases and there was zero wrong with them, matched unspent in all but the neck as one would and should expect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top