JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
N.M. officers under investigation for traffic stop shooting

The Associated Press is reporting today that two New Mexico State Police officers are now under investigation for their actions in a controversial traffic stop – the video of which went viral yesterday – during which there was a physical confrontation with a mother and her 14-year-old son and one of the officers fired at least three shots at their minivan, with five children on board.

<broken link removed>

I think this went the way it did due to the race of officer and subject.

Pretty sure that the cop who fired on the van was black. So I'd have to assume that you're referencing the higher incidences of black on black violence?

Personally, I don't see race as a factor. There were places in the confrontation where shooting would have been justifiable but when the van is driving off I don't think shooting was wise (or legal).

Pretty sure that the cop who fired on the van was black. So I'd have to assume that you're referencing the higher incidences of black on black violence?

Personally, I don't see race as a factor. There were places in the confrontation where shooting would have been justifiable but when the van is driving off I don't think shooting was wise (or legal).

Nope. Read the article again. He apparently is Hispanic.

I don't see race as a factor, either.

Love how everyone blames the officer, and not the horrible parent or her son who attacked a cop. As far as I'm concerned, the cop could have double-tapped both of them and I wouldn't cry about it.

Maybe in a perfect world of your design. But we live in the real world, and you simply cannot shoot people for being jerks.
The kid may have deserved a taze...big kid...but I'm having a bit of trouble with shots even fired at the tire, and MISSING.

On the other hand, Mom didn't help anything by driving off the first time. That takes a special kind of stupid.

Nope. Read the article again. He apparently is Hispanic.

I don't see race as a factor, either.

Maybe in a perfect world of your design. But we live in the real world, and you simply cannot shoot people for being jerks.
The kid may have deserved a taze...big kid...but I'm having a bit of trouble with shots even fired at the tire, and MISSING.

On the other hand, Mom didn't help anything by driving off the first time. That takes a special kind of stupid.

You can for attacking an officer and trying to take his weapon.

The kid probably feared for his mothers safety. Speed laws in general are arbitrary at best. And no matter how you shake it, if you're willing to shoot at a van full of kids over a traffic stop. Then the best thing to do is avoid enacting a traffic stop In the first place, you have the license plate # and address of the person matching the description of the owner of the van. If you're willing to stop someone from travelling 15 mph over the speed limit at all costs, then you shouldn't be a cop. The punishment does NOT fit the crime (traffic violation).

Or what we saw was a son defending his mother in the heat of the moment. Anyway, I want to see the whole stop, not just a media cut before making any serious judgment of the actors here except for the cop who fired. I'm not firearms expert but how does one shoot out a tire by shooting behind the car (or miss from that short of a distance), let alone shooting into a car full of kids.

In some reports I've read that the woman was possibly upset over being required to pay the speeding fine right there on the spot (since she's from out of state) and since they've apparently found "drug paraphenalia", that might also factor into the mother's reaction (fear of it being found or she was high at the time or its just a police plant job to cover themselves).

If you're willing to stop someone from travelling 15 mph over the speed limit at all costs, then you shouldn't be a cop. The punishment does NOT fit the crime (traffic violation).

Timothy McVeigh was arrested because of a traffic stop. Lots of criminals are apprehended due to routine traffic stops.
Someone driving off after being stopped is awfully suspicious, the cops wouldn't be doing there job if they just noted the License Plate and went on with their day. As far as whether the cops are in the wrong or not? The side of the road is not the place to settle such disputes.

Timothy McVeigh was arrested because of a traffic stop. Lots of criminals are apprehended due to routine traffic stops.
Someone driving off after being stopped is awfully suspicious, the cops wouldn't be doing there job if they just noted the License Plate and went on with their day. As far as whether the cops are in the wrong or not? The side of the road is not the place to settle such disputes.

And I don't see anything wrong with making the police file a grievance & wait when they think they're wronged by an American, the same as any American is asked to when they think they're wronged by a cop. Timothy McVeigh who? Oh you mean the guy that was upset about the government setting fire to a building full of kids. Yeah, he wasn't too bright was he, he was just as stupid & wrong as the government, they both killed innocent kids. I agree both him and the government were dangerous idiots. Only difference is, is he is dead and is no longer a danger but the other still is.

If you're equating the attack on the Oklahoma Federal building to the bungling of the Waco standoff then I won't debate you because you're willfully stupid at best...

Waco was a cluster-f**k. We could debate what happened there and lay blame at the feet of the government but nobody worthy of my time would attempt to morally justify the attacking of innocent people.

If you're equating the attack on the Oklahoma Federal building to the bungling of the Waco standoff then I won't debate you because you're willfully stupid at best...

Waco was a cluster-f**k. We could debate what happened there and lay blame at the feet of the government but nobody worthy of my time would attempt to morally justify the attacking of innocent people.

I don't know how you can equate either wrong as being right let alone equate two wrongs as being right, so doesn't sound like we differ.

so your saying it's ok to shoot someone because they are acting suspicious..
your as bad as the bunch of cops using the statement we just want to go home tonight (the person you shoot doesn't feel the same way :huh:)

For some reason this thread reminded me of the Chris Rock Public Service video titled " How not to get your *** kicked by the police! "

One of the best skits on youtube... " He got weed !, He got weed ! "

:s0114:

I also would like to see the whole video from start to end before I passed judgement. Very few circumstances would someone , police or not, be able to lawfully empty a pistol magazine into the rear of an occupied fleeing vehicle.

so your saying it's ok to shoot someone because they are acting suspicious..
your as bad as the bunch of cops using the statement we just want to go home tonight (the person you shoot doesn't feel the same way :huh:)

The context of that comment was that you can't just take down a license plate number and hope for the best. Cops have to pursue people who run. Our society wants it that way. I'd be open to debate this but its the reality right now.
If you've been reading this thread you would see that I don't agree with that level of force in this incident. But you can't just let someone go either. Its a tough line to walk.

The context of that comment was that you can't just take down a license plate number and hope for the best. Cops have to pursue people who run. Our society wants it that way. I'd be open to debate this but its the reality right now.
If you've been reading this thread you would see that I don't agree with that level of force in this incident. But you can't just let someone go either. Its a tough line to walk.

then why shoot (like these jackwagons) when you can pursue? this is getting to where the cops think shoot first then ask questions latter and have a good story for the paper pushers.

then why shoot (like these jackwagons) when you can pursue? this is getting to where the cops think shoot first then ask questions latter and have a good story for the paper pushers.

That's why this story needs to get out there. Even if the cop who shot doesn't get fired (as he should) the public awareness will hopefully make other cops think about their actions.

Yeah and criminals will run more often because if the cop uses any force that an armchair secret delta ranger seal determines excessive and near the verge of nazi Germany they can get public sympathy.

None of us know if the officer firing his weapon saw the kids in the car. To me the windows look pretty tinted. The officer who fired got a backup request for officer needs assistance, so chances are he knew they had resisted in some fashion the other officers. Then they attempted to flee in a vehicle. Now, we don't know what the call was over the radio and the extent of the details but, I still see a crazy woman possibly on drugs in a minivan involved in a high speed pursuit as a very real threat to public safety. In fact she drove through town at high speeds on the wrong side of the road. Too bad he didn't hit her. For some reason 90% of the people here just love to hate on cops.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top