JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems to be a pattern with them:

GAO blows up Sig Sauer's contract award protest against ATF

http://media.rtl.nl/media/actueel/rtlnieuws/2011/Briefdienstwapen.pdf

in English...

The chairman of the House
of Representatives
PO Box 20018
2500 EA The Hague
Date November 8, 2011
Purpose purchase agreement Dissolution new police service pistol

Hereby inform you that today I have decided with immediate effect
agreement with the manufacturer for the new police pistol, the SIG-Sauer firm
to terminate.
After the signing of the agreement, the manufacturer the gun ready
designed for serial production. That left the gun retested
be. The police also had the gun tested with the new police ammunition
(Action NP), as expressed in the tender procedure. this
ammunition is made available only after the procurement and differs only
minimum of ammunition (Action 4) which was used during the
tender procedure. After the process of testing three times a
negative result was formally completed, the manufacturer is in default. Unfortunately
, after the negative result of the fourth and final test are found
that the firm SIG-Sauer is not the promised quality in mass production can provide.

Based on the results of these tests, I think it is no longer justified
to continue with this gun. There is not enough confidence in the quality
of the gun nor the ability of the manufacturer to the quality
improvement and protection. This provides a risk to the safety of the
officers on the street. It is now my job reviewing the (legal)
possibilities with one of the other tenderers, whose gun
the tender procedure has been tested operationally, to an agreement.
The replacement of the current service pistol is a result of delayed
least six months. So there are new tests and a new location
retraining plan is made. Until then, the current gun (Walther P5)
used by the Dutch Police. The Glock 17's remain in the arrest teams
use. The safety and operational availability of these guns is still
is guaranteed.
I will as soon as this further information.
The Minister of Justice and Security,

I.W. Opstelten

Gotta wonder what happened. My 229 runs like a top. I've actually never had a malfunction with any Sig I've owned.

Their stuff has a well earned rep. This was most likely a few guns of a large run. If most of the article is true it sounds like there was some kind of screw up at the plant. This does happen. Normally one person gets the problem and of course it's fixed. Here this was a contract. If even a few of the guns screw up they need to make it right. If not this is what happens. This is of course assuming we are getting the whole story here. With the media of today that's always a crap shoot.

I wonder what kind of ammo are they using? I have an FNX-9 and it will not cycle Winchester Ranger-T rounds reliably. Using Federal 124gr or 147gr HST no malfunctions at all.

Was it a bad batch or bad training? I don't shoot as much as an entire police force but I've had new and used Sigs, including a police trade in.

I wonder if it's a case where the department wasn't going to accept any fix and wanted to go with another company.

I wonder what kind of ammo are they using? I have an FNX-9 and it will not cycle Winchester Ranger-T rounds reliably. Using Federal 124gr or 147gr HST no malfunctions at all.

Very possible. Any department that issues one gun to everyone will normally issue one kind of ammo. If this is the case it still falls to Sig. Not like it's hard to find out what kind the customer is using. Assuming the Glocks they bought work Sig dropped the ball on not making this right. Again this is assuming the article written was at least close to the whole story.

Probably. The only malfunction I ever had with my P229 was when my daughter limp wristed it causing a FTF IIRC. Nobody else has ever had any problems.

I had "I think" something like that today. Wife and I went shooting. She wanted to try one of my ASR's that I was shooting. When I handed it to her it would only fire one round. I cleared it and one round. So I picked it up and fired 5 or so. As soon as she tried one round. She's a south paw so I was having trouble seeing what the hell was going on. I think she did not have it in her shoulder. It was so loud in there that she got frustrated and just refused to try any more. I suspect she was moving it away from her to try to line up the scope instead of moving her head. As soon as I took it to my lane it was of course fine. Will have to have her try it again when the place is not so busy and I can see for sure what she was doing. I handed her my Kel-Tec S2K and it fired fine for her but it ejects right in her face so she of course hates to shoot it.

I had "I think" something like that today. Wife and I went shooting. She wanted to try one of my ASR's that I was shooting. When I handed it to her it would only fire one round. I cleared it and one round. So I picked it up and fired 5 or so. As soon as she tried one round. She's a south paw so I was having trouble seeing what the hell was going on. I think she did not have it in her shoulder. It was so loud in there that she got frustrated and just refused to try any more. I suspect she was moving it away from her to try to line up the scope instead of moving her head. As soon as I took it to my lane it was of course fine. Will have to have her try it again when the place is not so busy and I can see for sure what she was doing. I handed her my Kel-Tec S2K and it fired fine for her but it ejects right in her face so she of course hates to shoot it.

Many women flinch or don't like ejections in their face, I have been told.

Hot brass can leave a mark.

Brutus out

My daughter held the gun with her elbows bent below at about 30* and her wrists bent forward even more. A recipe for instability. Interestingly, this worked ok for a Glock but not my SIG. Either way it is wrong.

My daughter held the gun with her elbows bent below at about 30* and her wrists bent forward even more. A recipe for instability. Interestingly, this worked ok for a Glock but not my SIG. Either way it is wrong.

Yep! I have to get her to the damn eye Doc for that. She had mentioned a few times her EDC was giving her some failures with the ammo I bought for carry. So I tried a different one and she said it was fine. When I would shoot her gun with the other ammo it was fine. Then today I caught her doing that. Moving the damn thing closer to her face with her elbows bent like that. She obviously needs new glasses. I'm sure it's been at least a few years since she had eye's checked. Sure she will be shocked when she gets a new prescription.

I enjoy my P229s, there are easy to convert from one caliber to another, mine have always run great. I prefer the non-railed frame.
NJ a great place not to visit.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR