JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really either one will be good. As for better, that's up to you. Chrome will be more slick, but its just a plating. On the other hand, nitride is a treatment that goes a bit deeper than crome does and is also pretty slick. The downside is that chrome is normally better for heat, but that is more of a concern for the barrel than BCG.

Really, between the two for a BCG its just a coin toss. Heads chrome, tails nitride, or however you do it.

To throw another option into the mix, there are also nickle boron coated components. If it was something similar to a Chevy vs Ford discussion, it would be easy because Ford would win! :D :s0045:

Here are the 2 that I want to upgrade to. Aero Precision because I like their product and Rock River arms because I like their product. Is there something else out there I am not seeing? What is better Nitride or Chrome?

5.56 Bolt Carrier Group, Complete - Black Nitride
Well at least the Aero is an M16 carrier.
The price isn't very friendly, though.

I'm not a huge RRA fan because they use some commercial parts, proprietary parts and commercial build methods.
And look, they are one of the few still using semi-auto carriers.
Not that it makes a huge deal, but what not just use an M16 carrier ?
The industry has standardized on the M16 carrier.

ToolCraft actually makes BCG's rather than just having their company logo applied to them.
(that Aero might actually be a ToolCraft, but they'll never tell)

Prices here look pretty good...
Toolcraft BCG - Toolcraft Bolt Carrier Group - Monmouth USA
ToolCraft.jpg

DD
Somewhat opinionated on AR parts and AR builders
:)

Last Edited:
If referring to those BCGs specifically, get the nitrided one. I didn't see the one RRA was offering.

Otherwise chrome vs nitride is a coin flip. One thing to keep in mind with chrome is that there needs to be room for it to be applied. This means that they either shave some of the surface off or make the BCG smaller for the chrome plate.

Nitride; however, does not need extra room and is instead just a treatment that's applied to all surfaces. Unlike chrome it will not flake off, and it would need a lot of wear for the untreated metal to show (the BCG would likely be replaced by this point anyways).

I'm leaning more toward the Nitride now. That make sense that the Chrome may not bond as well the the surface being that it is 2 different types of metal.

How does one tell if the BCG is M16 or Semi Auto?

^This info is good to know thank you. What are some other BCG manufactures in the PNW?
I don't know if there are ANY.
What parts suppliers or builders will do is buy so many units from a company like ToolCraft and have their company name laser-etched onto the carrier.
There are only a handful of actual manufacturers....same goes for receivers and barrels, etc.
The sellers of the "re-badged" stuff usually keep the actual manufacturer's name secret, but not always.

At the end of the day, it's about how well the seller will stand behind the part.

Mega is in Centralia, Wa but I didn't see a BCG listed on their web site. I happen to be an Aero fan as well. Have the M4E1 upper with their M-Lok handguard and also have their Gen 2 lower.

I bought a nickel boron BCG with my new barrel. Do I need to pull the bolt out and do the normal lubing on it? I have always had phosphate BCGs up until now. Just got done putting my second lower together and bought a chrome lined barrel from PSA.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads