JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm believe this will impact anyone who has a watch (e.g. Casio) or clock that has an automated time sync.

NIST FY 2019 Budget Would Eliminate WWV and WWVH
08/11/2018
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) FY 2019 budget request includes shutting down "NIST radio stations in Colorado and Hawaii" — in other words, WWV and WWVH. Radio amateurs, HF listeners, and others around the world routinely make use of the time and frequency standard signals, which also include propagation information. NIST said eliminating funding currently "supporting fundamental measurement dissemination" would include putting WWV and WWVH off the air for a saving of $6.3 million. The overall NIST FY 2019 budget request is $127 million, which, the agency said, is a net decrease of $49 million from FY 2018 levels.

"The proposed reductions will allow NIST to consolidate and focus on narrower core [fundamental] measurement programs while meeting budget levels," the agency said in its FY 2019 budget summary. "NIST will focus on basic research while reducing funding for efforts applying some of its breakthroughs into new measurement applications.

The FY 2019 proposed budget cuts developed earlier this year came to light via Tom Witherspoon, K4SWL, who maintains The SWLing Post website, after a number of viewers called it to his attention. He posted an article on his blog.

"I've always considered WWV and WWVH to be the heartbeat of the shortwaves here in North America — a constant, timely companion and brilliant gauge of HF propagation," Witherspoon wrote. I assumed both stations would be some of the last to go silent on the shortwaves."

We have quite a few clocks in the house. Seems most of them are those "ATOMIC CLOCKS"!, (pronounced in a loud very deep male voice) It is interesting being propped up in your warm bed with a fresh shower and clean sheets reading that newest great novel and watching the bedroom wall analog "ATOMIC CLOCK!", (pronounced in a loud very deep male voice) hit 2am, 3am and 4am and seeing the adjustments made automatically.

Sometimes they just freeze for a couple of minutes. We can tell the battery state by how much they freeze up correcting the time. Twice a year they run very fast either forwards or backwards for one hour correcting for daylight savings time. Fun to watch. Seems our cell phones do the same thing. Ham operators get dependent upon the "ATOMIC CLOCKS!", (pronounced in a loud very deep male voice) How the budget will play out is iffy at best.

:) :)

If the NIST powers down the transmitter that my atomic watch receives every morning is there a device that I can buy the syncs with another device that transmits the same signal that the NIST generates? Or am I hosed for my watch?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top