JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Politics. I'm tired of politics in every aspect of my life. I wore Levis for ever until the CEO decided to enter his mouth and money into the arena of supporting his employees to fight for gun control.

I very rarely purchase optics, but within the last month I bought a new scope and am in the market for a couple of pairs of binocs. Glad I didn't purchase Nikon and you'll be sure I won't purchase Nikon in the future. I won't go as far as to sell my Nikon camera, but I don't support those that don't support me.

Too bad. Really.

Gee, does this mean all my Nikon scopes just doubled in value?...j/k

I picked up one of their "Black" series scopes a few months ago, and I'm not really impressed with it. Probably the best way for me to describe my impression of it is "ho-hum". Optic clarity is "ho-hum", tracking is "ho-hum", features are "ho-hum". In fact, about the only thing I really like about it is the fact that the branding on the scope isn't printed in brilliant white.

Oh well... there are still plenty of fine scope manufacturers out there...

Politics. I'm tired of politics in every aspect of my life. I wore Levis for ever until the CEO decided to enter his mouth and money into the arena of supporting his employees to fight for gun control.

I very rarely purchase optics, but within the last month I bought a new scope and am in the market for a couple of pairs of binocs. Glad I didn't purchase Nikon and you'll be sure I won't purchase Nikon in the future. I won't go as far as to sell my Nikon camera, but I don't support those that don't support me.

Too bad. Really.

I'm with you brother!! Politics are everywhere and I'm sick of it.

Meh, have seen a couple with pretty good glass but couldn't really find any thing else redeeming about them. Their bdc circles reticle was flat annoying.

When Nikon introduced their line of scopes in the 90s, their basic 3x9-40 offering had better clarity and better brightness than it's direct competition the Leupold Vari X-II. They were easy to sell even though the price point was similar.

-E-

They probably saw a 5-10 year dip in sales on optics.. using virtue signaling politics as a means to smoke and mirror their true reasonings (like with Dicks Sporting goods) they make a big claim to garner media attention and fanfare.. while hiding the true fact that their returns on optics hasnt been great and competing optic manufactures have taken their (Nikons) sales with better products at better price points.

If they were making boatloads of money on optics, Im pretty sure they wouldnt take that loss. Hardly any company would. But Nikon makes more in its sales on other items.. which is probably why they are keeping the other hunting related items in production.

Nothing to see here, just pathetic, cheap virtue signaling from another spineless company.

Too bad. Really.
If it really was politics and virtue signaling, they should get out of microscopes since they are used in bio-warfare.

So many of the big names have outsourced their production throughout Asia. They have subsequently lost their identity.

It can't be easy to compete, your respected name against another respected name, when the actual products made in China are really no different. If you price your outsourced goods higher, just because your respected brand name should fetch more money, you'll fail, as the nearly identical product sold with a lesser name will sell for less.

An example...Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco, Nikon. Are very similar in performance and quality, but the Nikon brand, being more respected, will cost more. And people knowing this, will often buy the lesser brand name.

Look at the name Bell and Howell. Probably the best known and most respected name in the audio-visual industry, at one time. Now, the name Bell and Howell is applied to any "for sale on TV" crap for $9.95, but if you act now we'll double the offer... Their name is now synonymous with junk.

It just may no longer be worth competing in such a market.

Last Edited:
I think that Nikon has decided to make a major shift in its corporate direction. In 10 years cameras will be totally different and as we know them, obsolete. Doing away with glass lensed items will allow them to focus on their medical and industrial imaging lines. Scopes and binocs will be just a low profit past for them. Lots of other scope makers that will benefit from this move.

that sucks. I've had good luck with Nikon scopes. I have the older buckmasters w/mildots on several varmint rifles & have used the spot-on app quite a bit.

I think that Nikon has decided to make a major shift in its corporate direction. In 10 years cameras will be totally different and as we know them, obsolete. Doing away with glass lensed items will allow them to focus on their medical and industrial imaging lines. Scopes and binocs will be just a low profit past for them. Lots of other scope makers that will benefit from this move.

All cameras need lenses, and if you're going to R&D for the photo industry, it's not a far fetched idea to try to milk that investment by applying it to scopes. I think there's more competition in that space though and, while Nikon has great glass and tech there, they need to make up ground in other aspects of scope development and probably found it no longer a worthwhile investment.

All cameras need lenses to focus the light onto the sensor - that isn't going to change anytime soon. Hell, even your eyeball has an iris (aperture) and lens. Nikon has been R&D'ing lens technology for just over 100 years at this point...I think you'll be incorrect about Nikon leaving glass lenses items anytime soon (as even their medical devices use glass lenses).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top