JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You mean I can't shoot it with just an SLR, like my Nikon N65? :D

I looked seriously at a Nikon several years ago. In the camera world Nikon is a well regarded brand because of their optical clarity and I assumed that clarity would be present in their scope. Comparing it the best I could to a similar dollar (not high end) Leupold in the store (out the window, across the river into a dark hillside), it seemed to be a good value.
Still, I bought Leupold.

I'm not a political activist, but when I read that Nikon was discontinuing production in optics used in a "blood sport" (their words from a press release, not mine), I decided they would receive no more of my dollars.

I would fully expect Nikon to put good glass into their scopes and for them to be optically fantastic for the money. I have a prostaff rimfire - it's good, for what it is and what I spent.

But, a scope is more than just glass. I don't know enough to know, are nikon's housings, turrets, and tracking all worth the cash? What about the warranty process? Wiser minds may know.

Also, Canon > Nikon :D

Nikon, no different than Bushnell, BSA, Simmons, TASCO, Vortex, and others, had resorted to putting their labels on products made by a third party low-bidder in China and elsewhere.

So, there are certainly some very decent Nikon products, especially of the past, but you've really gotta know what you're actually buying.

And that's not to say the Phillipine-made scopes are bad. I've had some very good luck with a number of the budget-priced Phillipine scopes.

Last Edited:
So, I've been farting around GB tonight looking for CZs for this project. Then I spotted one in 7.62x39㎜ ComBloc. At first blush, not interested; but, well, a very light bolt-gun, with a short action, detachable magazine, and in that .30 caliber ... hmmm. Can't help but put it on the watch list to ponder.

It is currently wearing a Nikon Monarch variable 1.5—4.5 scope. I know nothing about these. Good, bad, ugly? Anyone know? (As it is part of the auction, I thought I'd do some homework.)

Thanks. :)
If it's a CZ52, it's all steel and holds 8 rounds of .30 Mauser. Not pretty but pretty reliable. I bought a couple of after market mags and had trouble getting them to feed properly. The mag release is rudimentary and not smooth nor handy.
7.62x39㎜ is a hot round with really good penetration. If you buy military surplus ammo, you should avoid the machine pistol round of that same caliber. The Czechs made a sub machine gun that had a lot higher chamber pressure. Not good for regular handguns. The cases should be marked but I don't know the designations. Hope this helps.

w
If it's a CZ52, it's all steel and holds 8 rounds of .30 Mauser. Not pretty but pretty reliable. I bought a couple of after market mags and had trouble getting them to feed properly. The mag release is rudimentary and not smooth nor handy.
7.62x39㎜ is a hot round with really good penetration. If you buy military surplus ammo, you should avoid the machine pistol round of that same caliber. The Czechs made a sub machine gun that had a lot higher chamber pressure. Not good for regular handguns. The cases should be marked but I don't know the designations. Hope this helps.
I thought the pistol round was 7.62X25 and the rifle round was 7.62X39. I would think it very difficult to load CZ52 with the rifle round.

If it's a CZ52, it's all steel and holds 8 rounds of .30 Mauser.

No, it is the CZ-527. It is a hunting rifle like this:

cz-usa-cz-527-carbine.png
It is chambered in 7.62x39㎜, like the Kalashnikov and Simonov rifles. :)

You'll like it. In 223/556 or 7.62. They are light and quite handy. Then the set trigger part just makes one smile.

I have a P-223 on a newer Mini-14.
Happy with it. Retaining zero is all I was worried about. Stays clear on damp days.
Couldn't see putting any more behind a 2+ moa rifle for under 400 yards.
I knew they were jobbed out - but it was a decent scope for the money.

Everything else is Leupold.

When I got my 06 earlier this year it had been safebound for at least 25 years. The Tasco scope it wore shows plenty of use and I have no idea how old it is. It's way better than I would have suspected and if I didn't have a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9 waiting, I'd have left that simple scope on it. In fact, I'm hanging onto it. It may go back on the Winchester just because it's vintage and appropriate. I don't feel I'd be giving up anything but the extra magnification.

When I got my 06 earlier this year it had been safebound for at least 25 years. The Tasco scope it wore shows plenty of use and I have no idea how old it is. It's way better than I would have suspected and if I didn't have a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9 waiting, I'd have left that simple scope on it. In fact, I'm hanging onto it. It may go back on the Winchester just because it's vintage and appropriate. I don't feel I'd be giving up anything but the extra magnification.
The old Tasco scopes made in Japan or even South Korea had excellent glass. I am talking 60's and 70's. I have a 3-9x Tasco made in South Korea that I got from my Dad. Nice bright clear glass. It doesn't have all of the fancy coatings that manufacturer's tout today, but is coated.

Nicon binoculars are nearly equal to Simons that I have used, that said I would assume their optics to be of similar quality
Totally agree about Nikon binos being poor. Bija $30 binos are superior to nikons by far imo.

However u can't generalize about a brand accross a range as it doesn't mean much anymore. Fe Zeiss makes some of the best camera lenses in the world. But their binos are way overpriced and average at best imo.

I own Nikon camera lenses that cost 3x what an AR15 costs and they r great. Even some of their $130 lenses r great. Some other Nikon lenses are quite crappy. It's specific to a given lens design and where it was manufactured. Research whatever u r getting as optics are crazy variable in terms of quality.

Nikon is a long standing company. I'd be surprised if they denied warranty, but what do I know?

Well boys and girls, let me share with ya.
I had a P223. Both of the screws backed out and both turret caps lost. Simple repair one would think. But no. Dealing with Nikon was a virtual exercise in frustration.
I was told that THEY wanted to have it in their facility to repair. I say just send me 2 screws and 2 caps. They refuse, so I have no choice.

Repairs are made in LA. But they gave me a return address that was a combination of the New York & LA addresses. It got lost, then found, and finally sent to LA where they had closed the facility due to Covid. Looking at thje dates, it was clear the New York sent it to LA KNOWING that it was closed.
For over a week according to UPS, they tried to deliver it to a closed facility.
I finally got in touch with my local UPS and got them to return it to me.
Fast forward a few months.
LA opens and I send it down there. A week later they tell me that "ITS NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO REPAIR" it and that they will keep the scope and give me a $100 credit good ONLY at the Nikon Store. 3 weeks Fr back & forth emails where I tell them that they either repair or replace my scope with the same scope, as THEIR WARRANTY STATES. I find a new P223 at a retail store, send them the link and finally convince them that they owe me like for like.
They agree BUT refuse to send me the check until AFTER I buy the new scope (bought a VORTEX), and email them a copy of the receipt!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT buying a Nikon scope, and if you currently own 1, assume that its dead cause you'll play hell trying to get them to stand behind it and make it right.

So, I've been farting around GB tonight looking for CZs for this project. Then I spotted one in 7.62x39㎜ ComBloc. At first blush, not interested; but, well, a very light bolt-gun, with a short action, detachable magazine, and in that .30 caliber ... hmmm. Can't help but put it on the watch list to ponder.

It is currently wearing a Nikon Monarch variable 1.5—4.5 scope. I know nothing about these. Good, bad, ugly? Anyone know? (As it is part of the auction, I thought I'd do some homework.)

Thanks. :)
cz 527? I have one in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel. I got the suppressor ready versions which came with the world's worst stocks for someone with an anaphylactic latex allergy. I grabbed wood stocks off of ebay for both ($75 each I think). oddly enough, mine both have Nikon scopes, though I believe 3x9 and 4x12. To me the Nikons are pretty good. Not amazing, but very adequate for my purposes. They are fun guns. Though if you use the ppu subs through a good suppressor it is hillarity. I took my brother shooting. (He used to be a pro rock musician so his hearing ain't great) He pulled the trigger and promptly asked, did it go off?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top