JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been farting around GB tonight looking for CZs for this project. Then I spotted one in 7.62x39㎜ ComBloc. At first blush, not interested; but, well, a very light bolt-gun, with a short action, detachable magazine, and in that .30 caliber ... hmmm. Can't help but put it on the watch list to ponder.

It is currently wearing a Nikon Monarch variable 1.5—4.5 scope. I know nothing about these. Good, bad, ugly? Anyone know? (As it is part of the auction, I thought I'd do some homework.)

Thanks. :)

Nikon Monarchs used to be upper end for Nikon, at least the older ones. It should be a nice scope albeit a little under powered.

Last I heard, Nikon is going out of business.
Nikon makes very good optics.
They are not going out of business, but they are dropping any optic that can be bolted to a firearm.

I think highly of Nikon scopes and the Monarch is better than I usually use. I use the Prostaff 5 and Buckmasters. I think the Monarch would rate closely with a Leupold Vari X III of the same vintage.. I did hear at one time that Nikon was getting out of the scope business yet I can find many brand new ones. If they are getting out of scopes I have no idea how good their warranty will be long term.

I did hear at one time that Nikon was getting out of the scope business yet I can find many brand new ones. If they are getting out of scopes I have no idea how good their warranty will be long term.
Just because certain scopes are available, isn't an indicator they are currently making them. I bought a Leupold in January that Leupold no longer makes. I was able to find several vendors online that had them. (Boy! Was I happy!)
Nikon is a long standing company. I'd be surprised if they denied warranty, but what do I know?

So, I've been farting around GB tonight looking for CZs for this project. Then I spotted on in 7.62x39㎜ ComBloc. At first blush, not interested; but, well, a very light bolt-gun, with a short action, detachable magazine, and in that .30 caliber ... hmmm. Can't help but put it on the watch list to ponder.

It is currently wearing a Nikon Monarch variable 1.5—4.5 scope. I know nothing about these. Good, bad, ugly? Anyone know? (As it is part of the auction, I thought I'd do some homework.)

Thanks. :)
Back when 7.62x39 was dirt cheap and available, I was in love with that gun. Had many opportunities to get one and never did. I feel your temptations!

As for Nikons, they are really good scopes. At least the two I owned were. I figured they make pretty good cameras, so how hard would it be for them to make a good scope...

I have a Prostaff Rimfire 4x and a Prostaff 5 4-16x 42mm on my Ruger M77 7.62x39.. The Rimfire is currently waiting for another rimfire rifle. Both scopes are great.

a few decades past I had a smashingly decent 12x36 bino set from Nikon, as well as a couple more recent 223-3x30? rifle scopes. Not to mention a long expensive habit in the pre-digital era, of upscale 35mm cameras & lenses. I've never come across an issue with any Nikon glass I've ever used. Good luck.

Nicon binoculars are nearly equal to Simons that I have used, that said I would assume their optics to be of similar quality

I have a couple prostaffs and they are great glass for the money IMO.

From Nikon Press release.
"Nikon will still be a dominant player in the other sports-optics categories, including laser rangefinders, binoculars, and spotting scopes."

Hypocritical. You can stalk and spot your prey with Nikon, but don't shoot at it with a Nikon

My opinion nobody wants: if you can buy it as a a package with a budget rifle for under $500, it's not great. I've had a couple come that way and they no longer live on their rifles. Maybe sure to personal perception of quality, dunno. That said, my friend has a something or another 1000 model and it's proven repeatable and clear out to 800 yards so if you're willing to spend a grand, chances are you'll get a good quality optic.

Nikon riflescopes... It's not as high end as Leupold and not as budget as Tasco. I have a P-223 that is decent. Have had for a while, used on different ARs with good accuracy. Don't love it don't hate it.

That's not quite true. You can shoot it all you want, as long as it's with a DSLR ;)
You mean I can't shoot it with just an SLR, like my Nikon N65? :D

I looked seriously at a Nikon several years ago. In the camera world Nikon is a well regarded brand because of their optical clarity and I assumed that clarity would be present in their scope. Comparing it the best I could to a similar dollar (not high end) Leupold in the store (out the window, across the river into a dark hillside), it seemed to be a good value.
Still, I bought Leupold.

I'm not a political activist, but when I read that Nikon was discontinuing production in optics used in a "blood sport" (their words from a press release, not mine), I decided they would receive no more of my dollars.

Can't help regarding the Monarch but the ones I have are great. I made my living for several years, as my son is now, looking thought Nikon cameras and glass. Nikon's press release that I saw said that the firearm optics market was flooded and it was no longer viable for them to continue. Who could disagree with that.

What brought this point home to me was while at Sportsman's a younger gun counter guy was trying to sell me the Vortex over the Nikon. He was telling me that edge to edge it was sharper than the Nikon. Having more experience looking through glass than he was old, I took a look. There was no comparison, the Vortex was utter junk and there was all kinds of weird crap happening around the reticle, like it needed to be sent back to China, I mean the factory for repair. But you could tell some rep sold him on how good it was. He looked through it, agreed there was an issue, and put it back in the case!:( Of course he added the obligatory, "If you run it over with your Jeep they will send you a new one."

Had a flagship Nikon DSLR that dropped 4 feet onto concrete which caused a few issues. Disclosed to them what I had caused. They fixed it for free.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top